IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

21 minutes ago, Jammy said:

How has Son not been nominated for Player of the Year ?

He should have won it really, he plays in a far inferior team to the other top attackers in the league but could well win the golden boot today.  His shooting accuracy is crazy high too, and it’s his tireless running that gives Kane the room to play at his best.

Great finish to the season and beating Arsenal to it was the icing on the cake.

Congratulations to Son with sharing the Golden Boot this year, and congrats to City for thankfully winning the title, the other team getting it would have been unbearable 

Well that was fun, ticket was in the gods but sat with another undercover Spurs fan who paid £900 for two tickets :o 

Glad Son got the two goals, made a right mess of trying to get one just before his first tho…

MIND THE GAP 😂

Amongst that has to be a contract extension for Conte I would hope. He officially only has a year left on his original one now. If Levy really is, as reported, prepared to back him well this summer, he has to give him at least an additional year to see it through.

Also Conte does seem to value winning over everything else. I think even if he was on a 5 year contract he could still walk out whenever he feels like it. He doesn't seem like someone who sticks about to ensure he gets a payoff. 

Good article in The Athletic on the past 7 months of Conte's reign and just how he's changing things:

https://theathletic.com/3324914/2022/05/22/shock-therapy-and-a-sprint-finish-how-antonio-conte-took-spurs-back-into-the-champions-league/?source=twitteruk

Reminds me a lot of the early days of Pochettino, but with the dial turned up to 11.

Edit: Also, I think my favourite part of yesterday was when Kulusevski curled that peach into the top corner after the Norwich fans were giving it large after the missed chance (which he was clearly looking to square to Son). 

5 hours ago, redbloodcell said:

Good article in The Athletic on the past 7 months of Conte's reign and just how he's changing things:

https://theathletic.com/3324914/2022/05/22/shock-therapy-and-a-sprint-finish-how-antonio-conte-took-spurs-back-into-the-champions-league/?source=twitteruk

Reminds me a lot of the early days of Pochettino, but with the dial turned up to 11.

Edit: Also, I think my favourite part of yesterday was when Kulusevski curled that peach into the top corner after the Norwich fans were giving it large after the missed chance (which he was clearly looking to square to Son). 

That was funny, songs soon changed in the ground!!! However having been in the ground I would say I was most impressed with Bentancur - he was awesome and just ran the whole show without coming to the attention of the TV it seemed.

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

That was funny, songs soon changed in the ground!!! However having been in the ground I would say I was most impressed with Bentancur - he was awesome and just ran the whole show without coming to the attention of the TV it seemed.

I think he’s been excellent since he came in (even though we lost in the cup to Southampton on his debut I think). Lovely footwork and good vision. Would like to see him paired with Skipp at some point.

Probably right. Also probably doesn't hurt that Levy is 60 now and possible feels time is a bit more pressing to win some silverware before he retires. Besides, he must also be thinking Conte and the bones of the current squad is as good as it'll get to this point, and spending some money now will actually yield enough of a difference to tip over to a win or two of some kind.

Then again Lo Celso, Ndombele and Gil cost £130m so maybe don't count your chickens... 😉

(Only messing - actually want you to do well, would be nice to see someone else win something!)

Edit: although, does that include making Romero and Kulusevski's loans permanent? That's a pretty big chunk...

I read we're loaning Kulusevski for another year before a potential obligation to buy, Romero has to be purchased now.

I hoping that Levy has realised that with Kane and Son in their peak, a fairly decent team spine, and Conte - this is the time to roll the dice and really progress.  I think he perhaps knew this before with the appointment of Mourino, but the pandemic scuppered those plans a little, and Jose just wasn't quite what Levy hoped he was these days.

Very exciting.  £150m, plus approx £80m from the CL, and player sales.  Obviously not all of that will be spend on transfers and wages, but it's certainly significant.    I'd imagine Levy will want to offer Conte a longer deal too, that will cost.

54 minutes ago, meatbin said:

I read we're loaning Kulusevski for another year before a potential obligation to buy, Romero has to be purchased now. 

Yeah Kulusevski is a loanee for another year, I'm sure there's some accounting trickery that makes a deal like that beneficial for both parties somehow. I'd not be surprised if Paratici went back to Juve and made a similar deal for Weston McKennie. 

22 hours ago, meatbin said:

I hoping that Levy has realised that with Kane and Son in their peak, a fairly decent team spine, and Conte - this is the time to roll the dice and really progress.  I think he perhaps knew this before with the appointment of Mourino, but the pandemic scuppered those plans a little, and Jose just wasn't quite what Levy hoped he was these days.

If only Levy had convinced Joe Lewis to do this before, in 2019.  I still think Mourinho was a good manager, but maybe the pandemic hobbled any solid investment plans like you said.  In hindsight maybe Mourinho was the right appointment at the wrong time, but then again had Levy not sacked Pochettino and just invested instead then (particular after that Champions League final when it was clear our team really needed it when we scraped 4th place in the league) we might have not needed Mourinho or Conte and would have been further along in the project.

In short, Levy made some wrong decisions at the times he really needed to make right decisions,

On 26/05/2022 at 09:11, Smoothy said:

If only Levy had convinced Joe Lewis to do this before, in 2019.  I still think Mourinho was a good manager, but maybe the pandemic hobbled any solid investment plans like you said.  In hindsight maybe Mourinho was the right appointment at the wrong time, but then again had Levy not sacked Pochettino and just invested instead then (particular after that Champions League final when it was clear our team really needed it when we scraped 4th place in the league) we might have not needed Mourinho or Conte and would have been further along in the project.

In short, Levy made some wrong decisions at the times he really needed to make right decisions,

Totally agree with all of that except the timing. Should’ve been 2016/17 so we had a clear line of succession in key areas and Poch could have continued to play his high press rather than resort to the slower possession-based football that knackered our league form. Didn’t help that we relied on a half-fit Kane, and that Dele and Ericksen had mentally checked out, but we had no alternatives.

Poch signed Lo Celso and Ndombele didn't he? I can imagine Ndombele being nothing to do with him but Lo Celso feels like one he would have wanted. Both of them are all time hall of fame level worst signings ever. 

6 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Poch signed Lo Celso and Ndombele didn't he? I can imagine Ndombele being nothing to do with him but Lo Celso feels like one he would have wanted. Both of them are all time hall of fame level worst signings ever. 

He wanted them both, Bruno Fernandes and Tielimans are two of the players he didn’t want and instead we ended up with two massive flops.

Yep, he’s been guilty of a few howlers in league with Steve Hitchen. I have a lot more faith in Paratici and Conte. Perisic for free before we’ve even got to June, under the noses of Chelsea ? Yes please !