The Spurs Thread

Well weirdly I think if he was a couple years older we'd get him. We could offer a bigger signing on bonus on account of his value being relatively low (10 mil allegedly) and still keep him in the wage structure - which is what we did with Gallas (with the 'fee' being null in that case). The problem is at 28 Adebayor may be expecting to renew his contract further down the line with the club instead of seeing it as where he plans to end his career.

Regardless I think at 28 he does have some resale value, if he comes and performs well for three or four seasons there is no reason he can't move on for anything up to 10 million. It isn't unheard of for a striker, especially one not dependent on pace, to go for that. He still represents good value and I think Levy can be flexible. Assuming AVB wants him anyway.

In other news...

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7881749/David-Bentley

Bentley offered 'clean slate'

David Bentley is hoping to make the most a change in manager at Tottenham, with the winger determined to avoid becoming a forgotten man.

Bentley had the world at his feet when he arrived at White Hart Lane in 2008, with a big-money move rewarding his rise to England international and proven Premier League performer.

Things started to unravel quickly in the capital, though, with the arrival of Harry Redknapp and a succession of injuries preventing a man billed as 'the new David Beckham' from showing his true colours.

Having slipped down the pecking order, Bentley has struggled to clamber back up the selection ladder.

He has, however, been offered a fresh start by new Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas and is desperate to show that he can still do the business at a top club.

"With the new manager, the new era, the new training ground, hopefully I can be a new player, with a new attitude and a new way of doing things," Bentley told The People.

"I've already spoken to the manager and he just said, 'You've got a clean slate, so do what you can do and try to impress.

"This is a chance for me to get back on the good wave now and, if I can be a part of it, that'd be great."

Bentley admits some of his problems have been of his own making, but he also feels as though luck has been against him at times.

He said: "A lot of people will say I've not made the most of my talent and I feel the same.

"I did watch the Euros and think I should have been out there with England.

"When I moved to Tottenham, I was in Fabio Capello's squad and should have kicked on, but it was a difficult time.

"Within eight games of coming in the manager who signed me, Juande Ramos, was sacked, and then it just snowballed and got out of control and I never could get that second chance again.

"I'd had so long riding a wave that was good and then I came off and was riding a wave that was bad, and I could never get myself back on top.

"It has been hard, but hopefully now I can just get back and crack on."

One common criticism of Redknapp was that he alienates players who aren't his favourites and prevents them ever making a comeback - he hasn't done much lately due to injury but maybe this is a good opportunity for the player. He did score that goal afterall...

There is a chap on Twitter called AgentITK, he's got a lot of stuff spot on this summer. Siggy, AVB, and Vertonghen we all called long before they became official as well as Lambert to Villa. Anyway, he's just tweeted that you've signed Adebeyor for £8mil

He seems a bit of a cock but a quick skim over his tweets and he does seem to be getting stuff right - and without resorting to a scatter gun approach of predicting everything. He also says Modric has signed for Madrid and will be announced at the end of next week. If true I think it is the best possible outcome if he wanted to go, better than having him causing disruption or giving poor performances and has him out of the country and no in direct competition. I imagine Madrid will have paid out handsomely for him as well - would love us to try and poach a couple of their fringe players as part of the deal. Sahin, Granero, Canales... Kaka ;)

I am fairly sure we will be getting a player from Madrid along with a shit load of cash when we sell them Modric, I want Sahin myself, would not touch Kaka with a barge pole these days though. I think the club are after Higuain but there is no fucking way will he come to us.

Yea :( Mourinho seems to have found a way to use Benzema, Higuain and Ronaldo in a way that doesn't need his usual number 9 and has them all scoring by the bucket load and generally playing very well. I see we're being linked with Lewandowski though! And Moutinho, hopefully he has some loyalty to AVB and won't pick United.

I am loving the AVB era so far, Harry's "I'm not a fecking wheeler dealer! Rawr!" backlash meant we weren't being linked with (and often buying) every footballer in the world. Somehow things seem right again.

Quite liked this fan written article about adapting the system in the case of Modric's departure. Assuming he can keep fit I see no reason why Huddlestone can't come back in and help reform the side, he was looking fantastic a couple seasons ago - and anyone who has played football manager (especially 08-10 versions) knows how shit hot he is going to become (and yet always with 9 acceleration).

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/tottenham-quarterback-huddlestone-can-replace-playmaker-modric/

Tottenham: Quarterback Huddlestone Can Replace Playmaker Modric

If Modric is to leave Tottenham this season many Spurs fans will be clamouring for a big-name replacement. According to this fan, however, the answer may be closer to home.

Tom1-e1341247515655.jpg

For a second season, Luka Modric is being heavily linked with a summer move away from White Hart Lane. Rational Tottenham fans have all but resigned themselves to the fact that come the end of this transfer window, it’s looking increasingly likely that the lilywhite number 14 shirt will have been left behind by quite possibly its greatest ever inhabitant – apologies to Hossam Ghaly. However, this isn’t what this piece is about. I could write at length about the merits of the transfer saga, but I don’t want to tread on already fertile ground. That pudding has been well and truly over-egged; but the fact of the matter is thus: either Daniel Levy lets him go, or he doesn’t. End of discussion. Yet, thoughts have already begun to turn to sounding out possible replacements, just in case. Forums are being littered with pipedream big name signings and suggestions for possible formation alterations, but on the whole, I’ve found myself disagreeing with them all. I don’t think we need to go out and buy this fabled ‘Modric replacement’. I believe that Tottenham already have the cultured, chance creating, playmaking, goal scoring, pace setting, set piece taking midfielder we may require should Luka leave, he’s just somehow been forgotten about.

Tom Huddlestone is one of the most technically gifted footballers I’ve ever seen in a Tottenham shirt. He’s naturally two footed with an eye for a pass, be it from 6 yards away or 60, and is one of the most accomplished strikers of the ball in the league. Sure, he’s not the same type of player Modric is, but who says we need him to be? Bigger, better players than Modric have been sold in the past, and finding a direct replacement isn’t always the answer. When Cristiano Ronaldo left Manchester United, he arguably left them with a bigger void to fill than if Modric was to leave Tottenham. But did Sir Alex panic buy? No, of course he didn’t. He spent £16 million of the eighty he received for Ronaldo on Antonio Valencia, hardly a like-for-like superstar replacement, but who has in time become just as important to the team, performing an entirely different role. If arguably the biggest team in the world – definitely in the country – with the greatest manager the games ever seen have realised that players come and go in modern day football, why haven’t we? Sometimes, searching for an ideal replacement and crowbarring them into a team can harm a side more than slightly adjusting their style will, look at Alberto Aquilani at Liverpool for example, billed as Xabi Alonso’s replacement, but in reality a completely different type of player made to play a role he wasn’t comfortable with, ultimately ending in failure.

When Cristiano Ronaldo left Manchester United, he arguably left them with a bigger void to fill than if Modric was to leave Tottenham. But did Sir Alex panic buy? No, of course he didn’t.

I think we, the fans, have become too used to seeing Modric run our midfield, and convinced ourselves we need a playmaker of his ilk in order for the team to succeed, but I’m not too sure about that anymore. Much debate has been had between Spurs fans, largely confusing themselves with whether his role in the team is overrated, or whether or not he is irreplaceable. Being the person I am, I look at the situation slightly more pragmatically. If Modric is to leave, it gives us a chance to refocus our means of play, not losing any of the attacking intent or balance in midfield, and possibly opening up the squad so reliance in chance creation isn’t focused largely on only one man. Players like Modric don’t come around all too often, and we’re lucky to call him one of our own, but we can’t be so single-sighted in thinking progression is impossible without him either. Like I said, Tom Huddlestone isn’t the same type of player as Modric is, but he has the ability to emulate the likes of Andréa Pirlo, Paul Scholes, or closer to home, Glenn Hoddle. Becoming more of a quarterback than a playmaker, a type of player like Huddlestone could be perfect for the pace in the current Tottenham team. Slightly more robust and stronger in midfield, with the ability to play passes Modric could only dream of, linking defence and attack almost instantaneously, Huddlestone could save the club £20 million for a midfielder that, I don’t know, could be better spent on a striker? We have the personnel to back up the type of role he’d be playing too; Pirlo had Gattuso at Milan, Scholes had Roy Keane, we have Scott Parker and Sandro. One midfielder with culture, the other midfielder a vulture. It’s a template that’s worked time and time again, producing results at the very highest levels.

Of course, I’m not saying Huddlestone will be ready straight away, but he’s not going to learn and improve sitting on the bench either. His injury troubles should hopefully be behind him next season, and any criticisms regarding his weight and athleticism are a thing of the past. He isn’t the quickest player in the world, and never will be, but he would be playing a role that wouldn’t require him to be. His midfield partner is the one required to chase and hustle, giving him the time on the ball needed to launch attack after attack. But, maybe Levy decides he wants Modric for another year, he’s still got four or five years to run on his six-year contract, and he’s already shown he’s not one to be pressured in to selling. Maybe this won’t be an issue for another year, but in the event that it is, I for one hope that Tom Huddlestone gets the chance I think he deserves to impress.

Some interesting Guardian articles on AVB as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/11/andre-villas-boas-roman-abramovich-chelsea

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jul/11/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-hotspur-title

I like his hair.

and anyone who has played football manager (especially 08-10 versions) knows how shit hot he is going to become (and yet always with 9 acceleration).

I can echo this from Pro Evo Master League perspective, always a great player as he develops, and always has a stinger of a longshot on him.

Sturridge would be an ideal signing then, being able to offer both aspects. He was arguably Chelsea's best player under AVB and Di Matteo didn't seem keen at all. Fingers crossed on that one. As for Ade, I think his record last season speaks for itself

Games: 37

Goals: 18

Assists: 12

He offers everything the team needs, and to think if he had been playing in that City game things could have ended up very different by the end of the season.

Goalkeeper under 36 would be nice, Lloris would be an awesome signing. Apparently we need to have put in an offer by Monday though. Get that sorted and I'll definitely fancy Spurs to do well this season - definitely challenge the top 4 again and maybe pick up a cup.

So we have done a deal for Ade, I am very pleased about this one as I think he is very underrated by many!

I dont think anyone is underrating him his record speaks for itself, its just most people did not like him for being a mercenary.

Quite liked this fan written article about adapting the system in the case of Modric's departure. Assuming he can keep fit I see no reason why Huddlestone can't come back in and help reform the side, he was looking fantastic a couple seasons ago - and anyone who has played football manager (especially 08-10 versions) knows how shit hot he is going to become (and yet always with 9 acceleration).

He is 25 no spring chicken if he has not established himself now he wont. I did like him but I dont think he is technically great on the ball and he has no pace.

Goalkeeper under 36 would be nice, Lloris would be an awesome signing. Apparently we need to have put in an offer by Monday though. Get that sorted and I'll definitely fancy Spurs to do well this season - definitely challenge the top 4 again and maybe pick up a cup.

Apparently we're getting Matthew Ryan, the Aussie league's best 'keeper and heir apparent to Schwarzer, on trial too:

Link

Hopefully he'll impress and we can add him to our revamp along with Lloris!

He would have gone down as one the greatest defenders this county has ever produced if he had some knees.

Never once get sent off and and even had a season when he did not even get a single booking, he is just about my favourite player of all time and hopefully he will be a part of Spurs in some way for the rest of his life.

It was often said his real strength lied in giving his team mates the confidence to play with that extra 10% each, which added up to being a whole extra man on the pitch. It was amazing they let him get away with that really as it was blatantly cheating and unfair.

He was just so deft and assured, you know the way Modric looks when he's on the ball? Head up and moving with it, you can see he knows exactly where it is and where it will end up he's just waiting on everyone else? King did that too, except there was a bloke from the other team standing over the ball.

He had a bullet of a header as well, such a shame he's had to retire but I think it was probably for his own good, I'd much rather see him still walking in ten years time then watch another season of him struggling. Hopefully he'll move from this ambassadorial role into coaching in the future, there must be a way to crack open that noggin and pass that assured style onto other players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the last time we won our opening fixture was in 2009, so not at all shocked at today's result.

If we don't sort out another striker or two by the end of the transfer window, then I'll start to worry, but Levy is proving to be tighter than a crab's arse recently. Still not happy with AVB in charge but I'm willing to give him a chance at least until the jokes about triangles run for weeks. I do, however, have a feeling we will go backwards this season because, well, it's Spurs and we can't have progress and consistency because, well, it's Spurs.

I thought Bale's hair looked good today, shame he spent so much time making sure it stayed looking good and not working the wings.

But, good performance better side but didnt take chances or really create enough - Newcastle are a decent side and had a plan and stuck to it well.