The Spurs Thread

I was doubtful about Johnson because Sunderland seems a good fit for him (he's from the area and MON would be a great user of his talents. They'd probably pay him better too. But I have read he'd prefer Spurs or Liverpool. Liverpool does seem to have this peculiar draw to players though, to the extent they can't even force shit ones like Adam to leave.

What do you guys know about Willian other than he is a rapper in the Black Eye Peas?

I'm not familiar with him at all, I gather he is being touted as a Modric replacement but by the sounds of things he plays much further up the field - where we already have Rafa and Gylfi. Also it seems Hudd's loan is just a way to get him back to fitness, there is a January recall clause if things look like we need him.

Incidentally have you seen the Man City data that got released? I am much more pleased with the Gylfi signing now, I knew about the blooters but apparently he was rivalling Modric for most creative player in the league last season. I think he'll curry us some more favour on Football Weekly as well with Barry's crush on him, we're sorely under represented on their.

What do you guys know about Willian other than he is a rapper in the Black Eye Peas?

I'm not familiar with him at all, I gather he is being touted as a Modric replacement but by the sounds of things he plays much further up the field - where we already have Rafa and Gylfi. Also it seems Hudd's loan is just a way to get him back to fitness, there is a January recall clause if things look like we need him.

Incidentally have you seen the Man City data that got released? I am much more pleased with the Gylfi signing now, I knew about the blooters but apparently he was rivalling Modric for most creative player in the league last season. I think he'll curry us some more favour on Football Weekly as well with Barry's crush on him, we're sorely under represented on their.

I believe he usually plays as a wide attacker rather than centrally so I'm not sure he'll be replacing Modric. I'd rather the club go for Moutinho, even if he costs more.

I heard people talk about it before but hadn't seen it, link-me-do?

Here:

http://www.guardian....utes-calculated - all raw data and some comparison.

And here:

http://www.guardian....ata-interactive - more specific, about goalscoring habits, squad rotation and passing.

Some good info on goal scoring habits - Defoe might surprise you in just how effective the little fella is. Also has some good Super Gylfi info.

First touch is a hilarious read though, I don't think the data works as intended there.

I realise he probably hasn't had much time in training but I don't get the rationale for not starting with Adebayor at all, it was clear last week we needed a player like him leading the line and so it just made sense to bring him straight in. It isn't like he is really a new signing anyway, he knows the team and his role already.

Disappointing but hopefully a new midfielder will be signed this week and we can finally start kicking on with our season.

I'm less worried about striker because Adebayor will do that job just fine. What we need is an inside forward to play on the right because Lennon just doesn't carry enough goal threat, which we will need if we're going to play this formation. Maybe this Willian fellow, though I wonder what ever happened to all those Hulk rumours. Fuck it Fiorentina are shit we should put an offer in for Jovetic - he'd net at least ten goals a season.

I also feel that we should have been playing both Rafa and Gylfi, with the former maybe dropping deeper as a playmaker. Sandro and Livermore just don't offer enough creativity to suit the way we're playing.

I'm confident a deal for a new midfielder who can play deep and create for us is done. I don't think we'd have pulled out of the Sahin deal quite so early if it wasn't.

The game should have been over in the first 45 minutes, I think with Ade up to speed we'll be fine but with a proper replacement for Modric we've got the potential to be much more effective. West Brom adapted really well and then bringing on Lukaku just shit us right up, that lad is a beast and he had a point to prove to AVB so I was always concerned after Kaboul had to pull out.

Think we'd have fared better with a 'keeper who'd actually come and deal with the ball at set pieces though, it'd also help us get counters going much faster and more frequently.

Not a spurs fan, but don't take this the wrong way. A fucking partnership! Can only see that working one way, as it already has, with your best going to Spain, and you might get one or two squad players back the other way. Madness.

Agreed - and if we're talking Real Madrid squad players we're talking full internationals and quality players - this is a team that can farm out the Bundesliga's best young player from a couple seasons ago on loan. They start Karim Benzema and Kaka on the bench!

It is sad to see Modric go, he's been a great little player to watch. But he deserves to be in the Champions League every season and Spurs kept stuffing it up. Besides, now he's gone the merry go round will commence. I expect an outlay of between £50-60 million over the next week.

Also you know what, nobody says no to RM anyway (apart from Barca, and even they've said yes in the past). If they get the option to match any offer made on our players then any other team looking to make an offer on our top players is going to have to take that into account whilst bidding.

Agreed, we'll also be getting friendlies and the like (presumably) and they might help raise our international profile - I know this is a big priority for the club and all part of the long term plan to keep Spurs punching well above their weight on a commercial level.