IGNORED

Trains

Sprite Machine

After getting onto the train level in Paper Mario 2, I realised they're great. Trains, I mean. Not in a simulator sort of way; not in a trainspotting sort of way; just in the way that you're on board it, and it's moving, but it's still a normal level and you can walk around it while it's moving - the background visible through the windows, scrolling past. And I started thinking about other games that have trains or train levels in them and how they're also really good.

Like that level in Soldier of Fortune where you're climbing over of the carriages of a moving train trying to get to the front. Or Goldeneye's train level with all the compartments and shootouts. Or that fantastic Unreal Tournament assault level where you start off on a helicopter and drop down onto a moving train and have to make your way to the front. And that Final Fantasy VIII mission where you're climbing along the train, separating the carriages. FFVII had a similar adventure with a runaway train.

So yeah, trains in games are great. Share the love of them here.

After getting onto the train level in Paper Mario 2, I realised they're great. Trains, I mean. Not in a simulator sort of way; not in a trainspotting sort of way; just in the way that you're on board it, and it's moving, but it's still a normal level and you can walk around it while it's moving - the background visible through the windows, scrolling past. And I started thinking about other games that have trains or train levels in them and how they're also really good.

Like that level in Soldier of Fortune where you're climbing over of the carriages of a moving train trying to get to the front. Or Goldeneye's train level with all the compartments and shootouts. Or that fantastic Unreal Tournament assault level where you start off on a helicopter and drop down onto a moving train and have to make your way to the front. And that Final Fantasy VIII mission where you're climbing along the train, separating the carriages. FFVII had a similar adventure with a runaway train.

So yeah, trains in games are great. Share the love of them here.

Skies of Arcadia.

Escaping Valua with Fina, fighting your way through carriage after carriage of enemies, then jumping on the roof and legging it as the head of Valua's imperial armada treads, Terminator style, towards you.

You know you couldn't beat him - indeed, Aika tells you as much - so you've no choice but to run. And despite him merely strolling along, no matter how fast you run, every fight you get into brings him closer.

Especially compelling when you've left yourself with very few healing items - as such games have a tendancy to do.

Personally, I've always found it very hard to judge the pacing of Japanese RPGs in the first few hours. The general rule of thumb is "stock up on as many health items as you can", but when these are expensive and you don't have much cash, that can be hard.

I had to battle through valua - and that hair-raising train section - with a handful of health and magic replenishments, and only basic health magic learned. I remember managing it by the skin of my teeth - the last enemy fell, but one more hit would have meant a game over, and starting the scene from scratch.

Awesome.

Well, there's the last Splinter Cell game. Or was it the one before? I don't have a clue, but there was a train. They didn't really make the most of it.

Timesplitters 3 has a good 'on top of the train' level.

San Andreas, you can't do anything inside the train (well, you can drive it, but you don't see the carriages etc.) but you can certainly put things in its path or try to ride on top of it for a laugh.

The start of Half Life 2.

Resi 0, for crying out loud.

You're right, trains in games are ace. Well done!

Played one train level you've played 'em all.

Oh look, a helicopter, how surprising! Maybe I should...dare I say it - snipe the pilot?

Edit; That FP pic wasn't there before I submitted reply, but proves my point beautifully.

So true! :o

Okay then, think beyond the FPS. There was a train in Broken Sword, as I recall. That was good.

Played one train level you've played 'em all.

Oh look, a helicopter, how surprising! Maybe I should...dare I say it - snipe the pilot?

Edit; That FP pic wasn't there before I submitted reply, but proves my point beautifully.

Resident Evil Zero, my good man, RE0.

Best trian ever! It's full of zombies, and the bit where you're on top with the trees whipping past and the rain coming at ya is still quite an astounding visual feat.

Oh, yeah, I also quite liked the train bit in FF8.

I vote for more levels on top of moving trucks. Like, in a huge convoy or something. Jumping from vehicle to vehicle, getting into inter-vehicle gunfights, destroying "platforms" by shooting out their tyres...

I can imagine that as a puzzle too, say you can't make a jump from one lorry to the next so you take out the wheels so it comes closer (but then you have to get off it sharpish).