Rugby Challenge 2006

The Shadow

Swordfish did a good job on the last rugby game they did and created the greatest rugby game there is on the PS1 jonah lomu's rugby although it had a pretty bad review in PSW of 6/10 but they admit they're not rugby fans. I may wait for EA's next go at the game as it looks like they've actually spent sometime on it this time.

It's fucking shit. Really, really bad. The Codemasters game (forgot the name), although much rougher plays a slightly better game of rugby. But even that's not very good.

Jonah Lomu Rugby is the only one I've managed to play for more than one game.

Care to qualify that with some actual, y'know, observations?

I mean, it's not exactly the greatest game ever, and it is a touch on the arcade-y side (which I'm sure could annoy the Rugby purists), but it's quite playable, not too hard to pick up (in the Madden sense), and doesn't actively tear out your eyeballs and feast on the warm goo inside while you're playing it. At least, that was my experience with it.

It was unresponsive

kicking during open play was a nightmare

you couldn't even pass out of a tackle (although I didn't have the manual so maybe I missed something)

the offside rule wasn't even right

the animation for the scrumhalf passing it out was terrible, as was his pass

there seemed to be no way to actually put together any decent moves in the backs

you just had to spin it to the wing, recycle and repeat to score

I only played one game though. So maybe some of that can be sorted, but then again maybe a lot more faults would be found if I kept playing. So I decided not to!

Yes, Soong's impressions are pretty much spot on. In theory nice features are the pass left/right on the shoulder buttons, as well as the ability to view the pitch from a variety of angles, left/right, up/down closer/further etc.

However, the pass buttons do suck seriously, and with sidestep being a quick left shoulder / right shoulder button sequence, the two get muddled. You need to pass ages before the tackling player is anywhere near you, so it is just a case of trying to fling the ball side to side as quickly as possible, giving you no opportunity to draw in defenders with a delayed pass. If you eventually end up in a one-on-one situation with a defender, the sidestep works OK, except that it triggers an animation which takes about 5 seconds to get out of, by which time another defender has caught up with you.

Kicking is too quick to do with any accuracy, apart from when you're roughly in the middle of the field, in which case you can kick a drop goal with a reasonable success rate. Conversion system works quite well.

It's also virtually impossible to win the ball from the opposing team, or for them to win it from you, unless you have a pack of forwards that's a lot stronger than the opposing team. Once you have the ball you can pretty much keep on recycling it endlessly, you're bound to win any rucks and mauls, and handling errors are few and far between.

The previous rugby game I played was some PC game that came out in the early 90s. It's not progressed much since, and that was a hell of a lot more fun.

I've been playing EA's rugby 2006 and i have to say it's probably the best rugby game i have played. They've actually payed attention and added a lot of spit and polish to both the gameplay and graphics. You can offload the ball in tackles the offside rule works well everything is pretty much there.

I've been playing EA's rugby 2006 and i have to say it's probably the best rugby game i have played. They've actually payed attention and added a lot of spit and polish to both the gameplay and graphics. You can offload the ball in tackles the offside rule works well everything is pretty much there.

Hmm, might give that a go, although I'll wait till it's cheaper. As for Rugby Challenge's graphics, they're pretty ropey, not something I expected from a game in 2006. But then again I'm not much of a graphics whore, so it doesn't really bother me. IT bothers me when the animation affects the gameplay though, as with the sidestep animation and when your player freezes midstride because he's about to be tackled by an opposing player...