Silent Hill 2

4 hours ago, Soulstar said:

Why apologise? I love it when ancient threads appear from the arcane space of forgotten times past. Makes the front page suddenly exciting because I keep returning to see the same ones. 

It does indeed shake things up a bit, and in this case highlight a genuine classic. I don't finish many games but did complete this about 10 years ago. I'm aware there are multiple endings and maybe it's worth doing it again. They don't make games like this any more.

1 hour ago, mansizerooster said:

This is still the single scariest piece of media I have ever encountered. It has left a mark on my soul.

Absolutely! Played though this in I think in the back end of 2001 when I bought a PS2. Has it really been nearly 17 years since its release?!! Wow.  I Still have the orginal disks for the PS2. Thinking of pulling them into an emulator on the PC to enjoy upscaled although realistically I'd never get around to playing through it again... Now a proper remaster of this would be great.. not just shoddy ports although can't see that happening anytime soon. Think this by a wide mile is the best Silent Hill game ever made so far the others just haven't been the same. Music, visuals, tension... perfect.

My apology was in case anybody would see this bumped to the frontpage and think something big was up - Like Bluepoint's next unannounced project being this one. Or something similar.

Let's just hope that GOG gets access to preservation of console games too in the future. 

I tend to think of RE4 or OoT when asked about all-time best game but if the criteria is the game that resonated most deeply in my soul and the game I've been thinking the most about over the years then it can only be SH2. Dare one say this is the one most deserved of being labeled as "art"?

I would love to see a AAA (or AA) game in the future as deep, mature and bold but won't be expecting it. It was a time and place.

33 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Let's just hope that GOG gets access to preservation of console games too in the future

There are PC versions of SH2 and 3. But they aren't available digitally anywhere, and they require a lot of tinkering to get running right on modern systems. GOG getting their hands on them would be the best thing. 

I tried it on PCSX2 quite a while ago (version 1.2) and back then I couldn’t make it render the cutscenes correctly. After watching the above video I got the latest (official non-beta) version 1.4 but I haven’t tested it long enough to get to a cutscene as I continued from last save instead of starting anew. 

DF Retro posted a nice video some time ago going over all the versions. 

I actually started playing through this Sunday for a live stream.

I was playing the PC Directors Cut - with Widescreen Mod and "updated movie" Mod.

Generally it runs really well however the movies (despite being widescreen) has some weird awkward issues where the video would pause, or the sound loses sync.

The biggest WTF was the fact when i picked up the piece of wood, i couldn't actually kill the enemy. Turns out I had to arm the weapon with the START button! Once i knew that, it wasn't too bad but i must figure out how to change the button in the config menu.

Now, i still had quite a lot of difficulties finding items and how to use them. Most games "light up" where an item is or if you have the item in the inventory then it will automatically use it, this isn't always the case in Sh2. There really isn't much hand holding in it!

Also, a lot of areas need to be triggered by you doing something else. Took me a while to figure out why the TV didn't trigger when i walked into the apartment room.

Some people int he stream did point out the game seemed very underwhelming and awkward with the cut scenes. The cut scenes are terrible - dialogue and delivery. Thank god production quality has improved since then. Underwhelming? It's still very early in the game I pointed it. However, it didn't help i got stuck in the apartments for longer than I wanted.

I think i reached chapter 5 in 4 hours. I still have a way to go and I know it gets massively better so I do look forward to continuing.

SH2 was/is one of my favorite horror games but i can understand with the amount of horror games out nowadays that people who have yet to sample SH2 probably doesn't get why it's so good.

Or you could say the clunkiness and stiltedness adds to the sense of unease. :)

Slickness of a modern AAA game would not suit or add anything I feel. 

It’s the depth of story and the way it’s conveyed that makes this game amazing - not something you can quickly sample or appreciate if being mostly used to modern game mechanics. 

7 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Or you could say the clunkiness and stiltedness adds to the sense of unease. :)

Slickness of a modern AAA game would not suit or add anything I feel. 

It’s the depth of story and the way it’s conveyed that makes this game amazing - not something you can quickly sample or appreciate if being mostly used to modern game mechanics. 

Yeah it's clunky and some of the camera angles could be better (running down a corridor when a baddie is there, but having the camera pointed the other way is questionable) but it really like the camera angles / style of the game. Plus it's pretty easy to avoid the enemy anyway..

I also loved the fact that it plays to the original hardware limitations - like with the fog. It's everywhere and obviously helps with draw distance issues but it really adds to the game.

I watched the full video from AesirAesthetics, and he argues stilted dialogue/poor acting adds to the sense of the uncanny. Not sure I agree, really - good acting is good acting, bad is bad, and if you can't get good enough vocal performances for your game, you're not picking the right actors.

Having watched the entire video (on 1.5x speed, which seems to be the ideal pace for this one, especially for the time-conscious!) it's very good. I'm not entirely sure he needed to make his points over an entire playthrough, but I guess it means nothing's missed. It's worth a watch (and essential if you're a fan of the game) but be aware it's midway between a playthrough with commentary and a deeply-researched documentary; bit of a curate's egg.

I don't know, David Lynch intentionally uses 'bad' looking special effects in his later stuff and the result can be more unsettling than having stuff super slick and seamless. I don't see why the same can't apply to dialogue and acting. That also makes me think of Robert Bresson, the stilted performances he went well out of his way to elicit were often criticised for being awkward (and sometimes outright bad) but they're absolutely key to the feel of his films.

Not that I think much of it was intentional in older Japanese games but I think in some cases it can be seen as a plus rather than a minus. Usually it's because it's comical (Resident Evil, The House of the Dead, Symphony of the Night etc.) but Silent Hill is a rare example of it going another way. Like, your reflex is to laugh at it but then you feel uncomfortable with that and it starts feeding back into your sense of dread, somehow. To go back to Lynch, it's a bit like how the darker parts of Twin Peaks are made all the more horrific in the first two seasons because they're juxtaposed with moments of light, soapy humour. If everything in Silent Hill 2 was pitch black I'm not sure it'd work in the way that it does.

I know what you mean, and I don't think it necessarily detracts (and sometimes enhances) but i think some intentional, grand guignol-style melodrama (say, in the American Horror Story mode) might work better. I think the difference between this and Bresson is naturalism leaving rough edges but an un-faked intensity, whereas SH2 showcases mediocre actors occasionally hitting the right frequency to resonate with the animation.

But I get your point, and I don't think i'd change that aspect of SH2, retrospectively. It does work in its own, odd way.

Yeah I mean I wasn't really comparing Silent Hill with Bresson because that would be kind of weird. It just popped into my mind with regard to 'good acting is good acting, bad is bad'. I think anything can work given the right context. 

I think sometimes it kind of has to be accidental too, or at least have some ambiguity as to whether it's intentional or not.. Like the aforementioned House of the Dead, which I found lost a lot of the appeal in the later games once it became super obvious they were really playing up the daft script and delivery.

Watched all of the video that revived this thread, which then led me to watch this one, and in turn a load more on this channel. The Rise and Fall of [InsertGameName] seems to be a really good series IMO.

I never really got round to properly playing this and I have a PS2 connected up to a 14" PVM and my PC should run it via PCSX2 and then I can play on my TV.  Any suggestions which I should go for?  Setting it up on PCSX2 seems a bit of a pain but to play on my big screen would be great provided I wasn't missing anything.

Well, I just tested SH2 with PCSX2 and there is a problem with flickering when FMV scenes play. Looking around the net it's a common problem. Only way to play FMV properly is to use software rendering mode instead of (the vastly superior) hardware rendering which uses your GPU. So it will run slower in software mode and you lose the option to upscale the resolution too. So not ideal.

Can't you hook up your PS2 to the big telly?

7 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Well, I just tested SH2 with PCSX2 and there is a problem with flickering when FMV scenes play. Looking around the net it's a common problem. Only way to play FMV properly is to use software rendering mode instead of (the vastly superior) hardware rendering which uses your GPU. So it will run slower in software mode and you lose the option to upscale the resolution too. So not ideal.

Yeah just tried the same think here and same results. PS2 will hook up via component but I suspect it will look bloody awful. May give the PC version a go. 

16 minutes ago, krenzler said:

There is an option in PCSX2 to render cutscenes in software mode. The rest of the game will still run in hardware mode. The downside is that it's jarring to see suddenly display in low-res whenever a cutscene starts.

Are 3 and 4 worth playing in this day and age? I never got around to them at the time for some reason.

Seems like you have to use software mode in PCSX2 for 3 but the wiki suggests 4 is OK with D3D11.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

There is an option in PCSX2 to render cutscenes in software mode. The rest of the game will still run in hardware mode. The downside is that it's jarring to see suddenly display in low-res whenever a cutscene starts.

Yes, I read that too. But looking at the emulator settings there's already an "Automatic Gamefixes" option enabled (and it's greyed out and can't be disabled) which automatically applies fixes to known bugs. And the HW hacks window is all greyed out and unticked and the description says it's better to use the auto fix option. So I don't know what gives. Would like to try the manual option but can't see how. 

15 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Yes, I read that too. But looking at the emulator settings there's already an "Automatic Gamefixes" option enabled (and it's greyed out and can't be disabled) which automatically applies fixes to known bugs. And the HW hacks window is all greyed out and unticked and the description says it's better to use the auto fix option. So I don't know what gives. Would like to try the manual option but can't see how. 

It's been over a year since I tinkered with it... I will have a look tomorrow on my PC. I have that exact option enabled for a few games and always disabled the auto fix option, but can't remember how.

23 minutes ago, krenzler said:

A quick Google unearthed some dude complaining about all his options in PCSX2 being greyed out and it turns out he had Preset enabled. Unchecking preset made all the options available. Is that it?

Silent Hill 2 is astounding. It's still the only game I've ever played to truly tackle mental health in a sophisticated manner. I'm not saying others haven't been great but it was leagues ahead and way ahead of its time in that aspect, voice acting aside. 

@Rsdio. SH3 is an excellent game with some brilliant moments and a great plot. Well worth it.