New Super Mario Ds

pulsemyne

Having missed out a good deal on early Mario games, anyone care to give me a quick runthrough the 2D ones? I find the naming/numbering of the games pretty confusing - Super Mario Bros? Super Mario World? Which are the best?

I remember spending the few 10p pieces that I had playing an arcade Mario game in the local cornershop - must have been about 1986 or 1987 - but I can't remember which one it was. As much as I loved it, I pretty much phased out until SM64.

Ta.

Yoshi's Island is wonderful, if only for those little dancing tribal Shy Guys :o

You know I'm reading all these comments about how it looks crap, how 2D scroller is boring etc etc blah blah frickin' blah but do you know what?

In the good old days games were about playing. You know, actually playing the game and having fun. Not about how outdated. We didn't go nuts when we saw Super Mario's graphics after playing manic miner, nope, we just went ballistic about how much fun it was to play.

And this game, from the videos looks like a helluva lot of fun to play. Bring it on!!

You know I'm reading all these comments about how it looks crap, how 2D scroller is boring etc etc blah blah frickin' blah but do you know what?

In the good old days games were about playing. You know, actually playing the game and having fun. Not about how outdated. We didn't go nuts when we saw Super Mario's graphics after playing manic miner, nope, we just went ballistic about how much fun it was to play.

I thought all the Mario games looked great when I first played them.

Cheers for the tips, guys. Not having a NES or SNES, it won't be that easy to get hold of them. Might have to wait for the Rev's virtual console.

Exactly.

Shinyness eventually becomes dull - gameplay is for life.

Yoshi's Island is wonderful, if only for those little dancing tribal Shy Guys :wub:

Doped-up Yoshi, stumbling about with warped music playing, never fails to put a massive grin on my face. :(

Cheers for the tips, guys. Not having a NES or SNES, it won't be that easy to get hold of them. Might have to wait for the Rev's virtual console.

Super Mario World on the GBA is a must have.

I think only Mario 3 looked good at the time. All the other 2D games had poor or bog standard graphics by the standards of the time they were released.

Actually, Yoshi's Island looked good too.

I still remember the first issue of CVG that I ever bought had a news feature about the Super Famicom which had just been released in Japan. I was super impressed by the graphics of SMW. On reflection it was probably the design of the levels and backgrouds and the bold abstract blocks of colour. Theres no way the graphics were poor or bog standard (IMO).

Don't like the sound of that saving structure. Don't like it a LOT. Mario Bros DX was perfectly suited to the handheld because it saved after each level.

Just pause it and shut the DS. It'll go into sleep and you can resume the game the next morning.

Just pause it and shut the DS. It'll go into sleep and you can resume the game the next morning.

After leaving the DS in sleep mode and forgetting about it untli thursday I'm pretty impressed with it. Still, if level 5-4 is getting on my nads don't want to have to do 5-1, 5-2 + 5-3 every time I die or want to play a different game. A small point I know, but I really thought previous marios were perfecct in this regard.

Pah! Therearerules, you are a weak gamer! :wub:

Personally, i dont like the save after EVERY stage thing - it kind of removes the challenge. Just like how in GBA Mario World (IIRC) it saves your accumalted lives, making it a bit easy, since you will never get 'game over', really.

Still, if level 5-4 is getting on my nads don't want to have to do 5-1, 5-2 + 5-3 every time I die or want to play a different game. A small point I know, but I really thought previous marios were perfecct in this regard.

IIRC, Super Mario Bros. had exactly the same 'save' structure, where losing all your lives on x-4 would send you back to the start of the world.

IIRC, Super Mario Bros. had exactly the same 'save' structure, where losing all your lives on x-4 would send you back to the start of the world.

Indeed it did.

The All-Stars version was the same. It only saved you progress after each Bowser level.

Still... 3D characters. Just seems wrong to me for a 2D game. Seems like it'll make the jumping inaccurate for some reason. And it just looks kind of crap compared to an actual 2D game. It's like Donkey Kong Country all over again.