IGNORED

Resident Evil: Code Veronica

squirtle

7 hours ago, Popo said:

Also, there are some very underbaked opinions in this thread about how Resident Evil 2 was actually the worst in the series, and Code Veronica the best. It makes for really quite extraordinary reading which, frankly, I did so you don’t have to. 

Really? Resi 2 has been such an enduring sacred cow to the extent I just want to slap the REmake 1 box off cunts heads anytime they want to proclaim it the best of the fixed camera era.

I played Revelations 1 over the past couple of days. Quite liked much of it, really didn’t like a lot of the rest. The convoluted twisty turny plot was absurd and I had no idea who was shafting who by the end of it. Shout out Jessica’s wardrobe like where the fuck do you even buy that gear.  Edge 6.

7 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I played Revelations 1 over the past couple of days. Quite liked much of it, really didn’t like a lot of the rest. The convoluted twisty turny plot was absurd and I had no idea who was shafting who by the end of it. Shout out Jessica’s wardrobe like where the fuck do you even buy that gear.  Edge 6.

I thought RE Revelations was alright, but nothing too special. RE Revelations 2 was a lot better I reckon. It's the missing link bewteen the RE and the Evil Within games. Which I much prefer over the new direction RE took with 7.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Nope.

2 > 1 > CV > 0 > 3  😒

15 years ago! I stand by this though. I think 3 vs CV is a very personal decision though; I had loads of fun with 3,and did loads of runs. Really rinsed the mercs mode too. 

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I thought RE Revelations was alright, but nothing too special. RE Revelations 2 was a lot better I reckon. It's the missing link bewteen the RE and the Evil Within games. Which I much prefer over the new direction RE took with 7.

I played the first “episode” of Revelations 2 tonight and can tell instantly it’s a much better game. The Barry Burton bits seem quite Resi by way of The Last of Us-lite, which has been quite interesting to play. Seems good.

I will say I really liked the cruise ship location from Revelations 1 btw, got to give it its due there. It was the actiony bits in other random locations in the in-between episodes that let it down for me. It was all before 7’s back to basics approach I suppose. The box-ticking trends and convoluted plot needed fucked in the bin, which is what we got with 7 and VIIIage.

CV is the only one I’ve completed just the once. It was a great game, but I’d never consider it a classic. Maybe it was a bit too long and drawn out for me to muster the desire to give it repeat plays. A one’n’done if ever there was.

Some great set pieces and tension. Having the Hunters return during Chris’ segment was great. Bonus points for being somewhat next-gen for the time.

15 hours ago, Polmon said:

15 years ago! I stand by this though. I think 3 vs CV is a very personal decision though; I had loads of fun with 3,and did loads of runs. Really rinsed the mercs mode too. 

Didn't rate RE3 as much as most people I think. Mainly because it's so action focused. It didn't feel like a proper RE game - even back in 2000. Many moons later the mystery was solved when it was revealed that CV was supposed to have been the real RE3.

Even Mikami himself wasn't the biggest fan of PSOne RE3 (@20:20) :

On 30/10/2021 at 07:22, Popo said:

Also, there are some very underbaked opinions in this thread about how Resident Evil 2 was actually the worst in the series, and Code Veronica the best. It makes for really quite extraordinary reading which, frankly, I did so you don’t have to. 

I remember 'CV is the best' being the prevailing opinion you'd see across pretty much all games media for a while in the early 2000s. I only played it the once but didn't really understand why it seemed taken for granted as the apex of the series at the time other than it was the most recent and therefore also the most technically advanced. I guess at that point there was probably still a general sense of older games being made redundant by newer ones in a lot of people's minds.

It's strange seeing it go from that to relatively forgotten today.

When it came out, Code Veronica was really amazing. 3D environments, great locales, some new features, really cinematic, surprise extra levels, and atmosphere in spades. At the time it was my favourite Resident Evil game so far. Unfortunately it aged really poorly, I watched a lets play of it a while ago and it has a lot of problems, from the level design, the combat, the awful voice acting (we knew it was bad at the time but oh god, its sooo bad), the awful villains, the game is way more goofy than scary, the wonky boss fights, and... Steve. 

You have to understand though that we went from PS1 tech to Dreamcast, back then it was a complete mind-blow in terms of how the series looked and felt. 

I started replaying this earlier this year, and still somehow got myself stuck in a no-win situation against the boss on the cargo plane despite knowing it was coming and hoarding ammo for it. I completely forgot they made you waste most of that ammo on an earlier encounter right before.

I know some people get annoyed by the difficulty scaling in the later games, but the tyrant in this really is an obscene bullet-sponge. I looked it up and he takes 15 explosive arrows to kill, which are a one-hit-kill on almost any other enemy.

It’s a shame because I was really enjoying it until then, the pace of these old school survival horror games just hits differently. 

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

That's what I'm saying, I think it's one of those games where at the time we were completely wowed by the tech and just having a new Resident Evil at last.

Still, there were calls from every direction for a series shake-up. People were getting tired of the same old same old. That’s precisely how we ended up with RE4 a whole four years later after it’d been scrapped and redesigned entirely.

I never had problems with the Tyrant/Plane bit - however, I do recall having to start the game over again because I could not do the Steve transformation/escape bit. You just had to run away, but I couldn't do it without getting hit/dying and I had no health refills. Someone here will no doubt tell me "what are you on about, you just run and the scene ends" - but I swear I tried it a zillion times. :lol:

It was pretty far into the game too I remember being quite miffed at the time (I still restarted and finished it though, I thought it was fantastic at the time). Agree with this being a prime candidate for a remake, make it happen Capcom!