IGNORED

Really Basic Dr. Who Question

Eats hoops and leaves

Can anyone give me a synopsis of his childhood or is it all very vague? I have to write a shadow script for Doctor Who and I'm not particularly up on the characters back story so any info would be greatly appreciated. Is he half human or is that just a possibility?

Thanks.

No need best thing to do is head to the offical BBC website and check out the online Novels. There's a book on there called lungbarrow that covers some of the Doctors childhood. Its a bit complicated to fit it all into a single post on a forum though cookie.

Is he half human or is that just a possibility?

Thanks.

Paul McGann's Doctor described himself as half human so yes, and Russell T Davies has confirmed that this Doctor's single adventure forms part of the official series canon.

Fanboys hate it though and have come up with all manner of reasons to pretend it never happened or that it doesn't apply.

To be honest if you're writing a script for Doctor Who I would ignore the back story entirely. You simply don't need it, it's very rarely referred to, and it tends to weaken the series when people try to explain it. It's not the sort of series that's totally absorbed in its own continuity.

it tends to weaken the series when people try to explain it. It's not the sort of series that's totally absorbed in its own continuity.

This book http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...0006504-1051967

proves you wrong. Granted I can choose not to worry about Continuity, which is what I would try to do if I were writing a story. However I would try to tie it into TV show continuity, but I would also try not to write a story about the Doctors youth. Far too complex.

However at least someone has bothered to tie the whole thing in together. Even manages to tie the Time War in the books into the Time War in the TV series of last year :o Which IMO is genius.

AS for the half human thing, well I can accept it. I even know who his mum is :( as does the Boatman I wager.

This book http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...0006504-1051967

proves you wrong. Granted I can choose not to worry about Continuity, which is what I would try to do if I were writing a story. However I would try to tie it into TV show continuity, but I would also try not to write a story about the Doctors youth. Far too complex.

Surely a bit of an academic exercise? I was under the impression that the TV series was the only thing that could really be considered "canon"; that the Big Finish audios are doubtful at best (with the 8th Doctor stories having the best claim); and that the books are completely bonkers side-stories that don't really fit in with very much at all.

Maybe I'm wrong, but again RTD has said that the new series continuity follows on from the old series only, and that he won't be afraid of contradicting audio/novelisation plotlines if he has to.

Surely a bit of an academic exercise? I was under the impression that the TV series was the only thing that could really be considered "canon"; that the Big Finish audios are doubtful at best (with the 8th Doctor stories having the best claim); and that the books are completely bonkers side-stories that don't really fit in with very much at all.

Maybe I'm wrong, but again RTD has said that the new series continuity follows on from the old series only, and that he won't be afraid of stealing novel plotlines if he has to. :D

edited for ya ;)

Yeah it is academic but its great that it can be done and well worth a read IMO. Secondly RTD may well state that the shows continuity will be the main one and retcon the books/ audios, its apparent from Lances work that RTD hasnt done this so far in fact on occasion he's ensured theres no contradiction of past Who history.

And yes there are certain eps of the new series that are very similar to past books and audios, e.g.

Dalek=Jubilee

Father Days= TimeWyrm Revelation

TCI = The Dying Days and Sycorax=Faction Paradox in look

Loads of book references in the new series as well, which IMO prove its all the same universe and continuity.

Anyway its not as if I'll start losing sleep the moment the TV series does start Retconning.

To be honest if you're writing a script for Doctor Who I would ignore the back story entirely. You simply don't need it, it's very rarely referred to, and it tends to weaken the series when people try to explain it. It's not the sort of series that's totally absorbed in its own continuity.

I'm not really delving into his backstory in terms of x and y happening when he was a child, I was more interested in his attitude as a child. I know sci-fi fans hate for continuity errors so I just wanted to get the best overall picture of the character.

Thanks for everyones help, I'll make sure to check out those online novels.