Great Retro Wrestling Games

nausea

213's suggestion is proper old-school, but well worth checking out (if only for it's WTF? value). I'm personally a big fan of Smackdown 2 on the PS1 (as well as No Mercy, as bph has suggested) - but there's loads of ace arcade-grapplers out there too... WWF Wrestlefest was a cracking game (as indeed are a lot of the WWF arcade games) though I've not played the home conversions.

Wrestle War on the Megadrive is a great little game too. But the daddy of them all (and biglime will be along to praise them in a minute) is Fire Pro. A great series that's been running for years - but I'll let the man himself tell you about them...

One trio of games I would look at is the microleague WWF games from 87/88 that featured rudametary digitised film and had gameplay that predated and was in the style of the early Mega CD games..

I can vaguely remember reading a review of a game like that back in the day from CVG. From what I can remember, there was a text description of what was going on and you could choose what move to do next.

Do you have any links about the games? I'd be interested to read more about it.

Fire Pro Returns on the PS2 is excellent. There's a great translation patch for the game as well, not to mention many saves featuring WWF/E wrestlers.

I was a big No Mercy fan too. Played it until my thumb refused to move anymore... then I had to stop. :)

And the WrestleFest arcade game was great back in the day. I think you can play that on MAME.

virtualprowrestling2.jpg

Can't recommend this enough if you like No Mercy.

It's No Mercy's game engine, but vastly improved, based on the Japanese wrestling industry (but there are WWF movesets hidden inside.) It also features a SPECTACULAR shootfighting/MMA mode.

It really is a masterpiece. No exaggeration.

My copy's been signed by Kenta Kobashi.

:)

virtualprowrestling2.jpg

Can't recommend this enough if you like No Mercy.

It's No Mercy's game engine, but vastly improved, based on the Japanese wrestling industry (but there are WWF movesets hidden inside.) It also features a SPECTACULAR shootfighting/MMA mode.

It really is a masterpiece. No exaggeration.

My copy's been signed by Kenta Kobashi.

:o

o/\o

The Create a wrestler mode is more extensive than that of either of AKIs N64 WWF games. I came across a website that showed me how to whip up CAWs of the likes of Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Hawk, Animal, Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, Dan Severn & Stone Cold Steve Austin (I couldn't find one of Jimmy Snuka).

I've recently played out a season using CAWs of Chris Benoit & Kurt Angle.

More figting that wrestling, but I always thought WWF Wrestlemania : The Arcade Game and WWF : In Your House were always good for a laugh on the PS1.

Just for the comedy Vince McMahon sound effects if nothing else.

WWF Warzone was 'OK' as well.

As mentioned, WWF Wrestlefest is worth a look, although I was always moderately more partial to its predecessor, WWF Superstars.

But the king of arcade wrestling games would have to be Mat Mania/Exciting Hour. Quite why this never got any kind of home translation baffles me...

(Oh, and Tecmo World Wrestling for the NES is also well worth tracking down.)