http://uk.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp...p=17&i=8952&s=8

This is going to be the greatest add-on in the history of the handheld. MAX Media Player turns your Nintendo DS into a powerful home entertainment device, with movie playback, music on the move and a convenient picture viewer.

At the heart of MAX Media Player for DS is Datel’s exclusive MAX Media Player. Just insert the cartridge into your DS’s game slot, and boot up our fully featured browser. From here, you can play your MP3 audio tracks, watch videos and view your JPEGs on your DS’s screen. You can even use the browser to activate executable programs!

But where do you store all this media? Simple. MAX Media Player for DS comes supplied with a 4GB hard drive unit, which you plug into your DS’sGBA cartridge slot. It draws its power directly from the DS – no additional batteries are needed. And 4GB is a lot of storage space. Enough, in fact, for up to ten full-length movies. Or over a thousand music tracks. Or thousands of digital pictures. Or numerous other file types, such as data programs and executables…

But how does it work? Well, first of all, you connect your MAX Media Player HDD unit to your PC with the USB cable supplied. Open the Media Manager PC application (also supplied), and use it to transfer your media to the 4GB hard drive. It’s easy – the PC application even converts movies to a format your MAX Media Player can understand, and resizes your digital images so they fit perfectly on the DS screen. Now you can kill time on that long journey by watching movies on the move or listening to your favourite sounds. You can take your digital holiday snaps round your granny’s or down the pub without printing them out too!

MAX Media Player uses the USB 2.0 protocol, so it offers great transfer speeds. It’s out in late March for a mere £129. Bargain!

media_control_on_ds.jpg

MMP4DS_all_items_s.jpg

How much will that thing stick out of a DS Lite?

Shame it needs to boot from a DS cart. If it could boot from the GBA side it would be a very neat solution.

I read about this today but I'd like some more features before considering buying it.

Where's the streaming video and audio wirelessly from PC to DS? And while they're adding that ability that should also incorporate full PC control into it. A wireless remote would be ideal for me at the moment. Yes, I realise there are some homebrew applictions that are making in-roads to my second request.

Actually, on second thoughts, this device would be totally pointless to me.

But I can see it being a big hit for commuters. Or something.

A 4GB memory stick? I didn't realise the Royal Mail was giving a time machine to all it's employees to deliver mail to THE FUTURE.

Yes, but nobody really *needs* 4GB on a DS - it's simply the most cost effective hard disk size for Datel because they're used in MP3 players.

A 2GB SD card (more than enough) costs less than £50.

For 129 pounds I could use PSP and memory stick instead. It is useless device for me though.

PLEASE tell us where you can get a PSP and memstick for £129!

Yes, but nobody really *needs* 4GB on a DS - it's simply the most cost effective hard disk size for Datel because they're used in MP3 players.

A 2GB SD card (more than enough) costs less than £50.

Unlike a 2GB Sony MS ProDUO, eh readers?

Do you think it'd be possible to take screenshots of your DS games to transfer to your PC with this (and a little bit of jiggery-pokery too)?

Probably not, the media player software is on a DS cartridge, and they're not meant to be hot swappable.

If all it does is media shiznits, it's not that useful - inferior to a PSP.

However, it mentioned running executables... if it allows homebrew, it's potentially a bit more worthwhile. Like mr_rmg, I would be all over a web browser. And you could fit a hell of a lot of roms on there...

Something very simliar already exists - even on GBA... Isn't called Supercard or something? A mate in work has one, I've been looking to get one.

It probably is the Supercard software, I bet it'll be a Compact Flash sized hard drive inside, same as Datel's PSP and Xbox 360 drives.

Something very simliar already exists - even on GBA... Isn't called Supercard or something? A mate in work has one, I've been looking to get one.

yes, and the supercard only costs around £30 (without a SD or CF card though). Just sold mine on here.

I quite like the sound of this. I have no real interest of playing ROMS as I have DS/GBA software to be playing on it. 4GB is a pretty decent size for £130 considering the 1GB memory stick for the PSP comes in at about £80-£90. I also like that it comes with its own software to convert stuff for it. So, yes, seems good. For me, that is.

People want to watch movies on a screen with a resolution of 256x192 pixels?

:)

Or is that just an excuse so they can sell the thing to people who can't be arsed to pay for their software?

/edit

And other people want a web browser on a handheld with that resolution?

;)

People want to watch movies on a screen with a resolution of 256x192 pixels?

I wouldn't mind. If the DS had this feature built in I reckon I'd use it.

I don't think the res is a problem on a screen that size.

Would I pay 129 quid for a bulky solution that required swapping game carts? - Nahh.

And other people want a web browser on a handheld with that resolution?

Well there I agree. I remember attempting to browse with a PocketPC. Rubbish.

Well there I agree.  I remember attempting to browse with a PocketPC.  Rubbish.

For comfortable browsing, you need 640x480 or higher. Unless of course you can do something like Opera Mini whereby intelligent displaying of content is used, stripping out all the unnecessary shit. The DS is more than powerful enough to do something like that in real-time, so web browsing could be possible.

I wouldn't mind.  If the DS had this feature built in I reckon I'd use it.

I don't think the res is a problem on a screen that size.

Well for those who do go down this route, they'll be please to learn that the "Enough, in fact, for up to ten full-length movies." claim is very wide of the mark.

At that resolution, I reckon you could probably get away with 5 times that number, at least.

128MB for 2 hours is just about acceptable on a 320x240 screen (having looked at DVD2PocketPC in the past).

The maths shows that 80MB should be plenty for the lower resolution DS.

For comfortable browsing, you need 640x480 or higher. Unless of course you can do something like Opera Mini whereby intelligent displaying of content is used, stripping out all the unnecessary shit. The DS is more than powerful enough to do something like that in real-time, so web browsing could be possible.

The DS resolution would allow the display of about 750 8x8 pixel blocks (using this as an example of what would be just about acceptable to display a single character).

That means this single post would barely fit on the screen. :)