The Ring

acidbearboy

from what I heard the American version just employs a lot of standard scare tactics and just generally seems like a different kind of movie.

There's only one jump moment i recall

The centipede - but that refrences both the video 'countdown' and, IMO, the slithering world of the well

There's also a creeping sense of dread I thought in the American version - where she sees the fly struggling in the video, pulls it out of the screen and then has a spontaneous nosebleed is ominous as fuck

original - Sadako comes to the screen, stretches out of it and then walks about 'solidly'. it looks surreal and pretty damn scary (when you first see it).

remake - sadako comes out of the screen but then kind of teleports and has 'static'. I thought that was uncessary, but the makers obviously thought "people won't be scared unless she has static, like THE VIDEO WHERE SHE CAME FROM, so lets visually explain it".

I agreed the Japanese did that better. I didn't mind the static or 'teleport' - it was obviously a frame 'jump' as in an old video - but it made her obviously a phantasm rather than a physical creature, which IMO is a lot scarier.

I saw about 15 min of the remake but didn't like what I saw.

Surely the initial scene is pretty much a shot for shot remake of the japanese version?

Has anyone seen R Point?

Yeah, blind-bought it because the premise sounded excellent and the shots on the back of the box looked good. Shame, however, that EVERY picture on the box is apparrantly a promo shot and none of the interesting looking stuff you see happens in the movie, and the film itself totally loses it's way about 45 minutes in.

A few good scenes though, like where he's walking with the ghost soliders through the tall grass, and the afformentioned photo scene. I thought that bit was a nice play on how you really can't tell people apart too well in War films, and the fact they could basically just put an extra character in and you wouldn't notice.

By the time it had finished though I was just left feeling confused over what any of it really meant. Could have been good but just ended up being a wasted £14.

I had to watch the remake with my hands over my eyes, such was my embarrassment for everyone involved. It's a wonderful example of how to Americanise and totally ruin the product of another culture. Part of the reason Sadako is scary is because she says nothing. She has no motive.

So what does Verbinski do? Pulls in some drippy little brat to look at the camera with her head bowed so we understand she's VERY SINISTER and mutter some cod spooky bollocks in a nut house.

Oh, and they recast the oddball psychic with this.

martin_henderson.jpg

Well, that's the face of a social pariah, isn't it! Complete disaster from start to finish.

Somehow, the sequel is a thousand times worse.

I had to watch the remake with my hands over my eyes, such was my embarrassment for everyone involved. It's a wonderful example of how to Americanise and totally ruin the product of another culture. Part of the reason Sadako is scary is because she says nothing. She has no motive.

So what does Verbinski do? Pulls in some drippy little brat to look at the camera with her head bowed so we understand she's VERY SINISTER and mutter some cod spooky bollocks in a nut house.

Oh, and they recast the oddball psychic with this.

martin_henderson.jpg

Well, that's the face of a social pariah, isn't it! Complete disaster from start to finish.

Somehow, the sequel is a thousand times worse.

I agree.

I also enjoyed Ring 2 (JPN) and Ring 0 (JPN).

The only decent US remake of a far eastern movie has been the Grudge. (And IMHO both were not up to much!) but at least the US version was easy enough to follow. Although booze may have ruined my viewing pleasure while watching the Japanese version of that.

I haven't seen the US version of Dark Water - is that any good?

Will

I haven't seen the US version of Dark Water - is that any good?

Will

I was very disappointed with the original. Nakata didn't seem to know which way to go with it: there are long stretches that are so implicit and dry that I was just plain bored, then there's the fucking stupid ending with the little green goblin thing that was so OTT I actually laughed.

The remake struck a balance, but is still quite boring.

The best thing about Sadako was that you never saw her face. In the remake they show you it in pretty much every available frame.

The best thing about the tape was that it was creepy, a random assortment writhing people, horrid noise, subliminal messages and bizzare, staring eyes that needed decyphering. In the remake it's nothing more than a series of random shots of things as boring as ladders, leading the main character and teh audience on a painfully obvious join-the-dots investigation of finding the ladders and chairs from the tape. The tape itself is also far too long and verging on boring.

The best thing about the original film itself was the shocking twist ending. In the remake they spoil the money shot in the trailer.

I liked the remake, it was extremely well made and the Brian Cox subplot was great. It was by no means at all a bad movie. But, at the same time, some of the decisions made were so frustrating compared to the original, you just had to wonder why the hell they changed some of the things they did.

I love Ringu. It's become my favourite horror film of all time, improves with every watch. I love the low budget feel of it, love the cultural differences, love the fables & legends ('frolic in brine/goblins be thine), love the ambiguity of so many of the scenes, but most of all I love the patience of it (I disagree that there is only one real scare - the bit where she finds the kid watching the video at night was freaky as hell). It's just a wonderful, wonderful movie.

I didn't really like the backstory to the Samara character in the remake, either. In the original she's a sinister, supernatural character; the scene when she kills the reporter was pretty freaky stuff. Sadako was evil, even before death. In the remake she's just a shitty kid actress with a mean scowl sat in a room. The Brian Cox stuff was good but the actual girl herself and her story just wasn't as unsettling.

Because it's an ideas starved cash in by the Hollywood studios further perperuating the cultural rape of Eastern cinema. A repackaging of a genuinely fresh Japanese film with American actors to make it more palatable to the average Western cinema goer who wouldn't touch a subtitled film with a barge pole.

From a technical standpoint the US version is the better film but the way this came to the screen is abhorrent - film making by committee targetted at MTV watching kids.

Erm, I think you'll find the Japanese ripped the arse out of it long before the Americans did. Also:

From the looks of it, the version you see the first is the scariest.

Not at all, I saw the Japanese one first and thought the American version was superior.

Not at all, I saw the Japanese one first and thought the American version was superior.

You are 100% on the money. There's a surprising amount of the remake that is an exact scene by scene replica of the original.

I would take Japanese Ring 2 over USA Ring 2 anyday though. One was totally bizarre, the other was just shit imo.

You are 100% on the money. There's a surprising amount of the remake that is an exact scene by scene replica of the original.

I would take Japanese Ring 2 over USA Ring 2 anyday though. One was totally bizarre, the other was just shit imo.

Agreed on all counts. Though on watching the Japanese original of Ring after the remaker, my response afterwards was much the same: lights on and a failure to sleep properly for several nights.

I think what's great about Ring that is lost in the remake is the sound design. The soundtrack and effects are just so unsettling - love the opening shot of the sea at night with static fading in and crashing synths. The weird white noise and fingers scraping across the mat behind the girl at the end of the first scene; the violin-scrape noises when the tape is playing; the slowed distorted voices they hear when they're watching the tape frame by frame, and you hear later on in the well - all fantastically creepy.

Plus they make more of the jarring phone-rings, especially if you're watching it with the sound way up. And it's a film that really deserves that treatment

Although i always laugh when people answer the phone with looks of abject terror on their faces and then say 'mushi mushi...?'