Commandos Strike Force

Guitar Heroine

I had a bash at the demo of Commandos Strike Force this morning before work, and I must say its looking pretty good.

nice website

In a new direction for the multi-million-selling series, Commandos Strike Force takes you right into the heart of the action from a first person perspective. Set in war torn Europe amid the backdrop of World War II, take your elite 'Strike Force' unit behind enemy lines on a series of linked missions through France, Russia and Norway. Undertake action, infiltration and stealth missions with the Green Beret, Sniper and Spy, using any means necessary to challenge a winning enemy and pave the way for invasion. Enter into battle alone, or take the fight online with your friends.

Not bad, and its out this March :D

Theres a lovely review in Marchs OPS2 mag (page 90).

I thought the whole premise was that it's a "real" commandos game, just from a first-person viewpoint - that is, you can switch between any of your "retarded allies" and control them?

In that case, it's all your fault!

:o

But then I imagine that once you've left one to control another, either the A.I. kicks in or they're left to fester without fear of enemy molestation.

Am I right?

In the demo level I played, you can only control two characters. There's a bunch of allied soldiers (you can't control them) that keeps running ahead, and you have to keep the majority from dying. Otherwise it's a big, fat MISSION FAILED in your face.

Oh dear, I don't like the sound of that. At least it's saved me a download.

But then I imagine that once you've left one to control another, either the A.I. kicks in or they're left to fester without fear of enemy molestation.

Am I right?

Be faster!

In the demo level I played, you can only control two characters. There's a bunch of allied soldiers (you can't control them) that keeps running ahead, and you have to keep the majority from dying. Otherwise it's a big, fat MISSION FAILED in your face.

Urgh, horrible. "Natalia syndrome".

I played the demo but the problem seemed to be that the commando that you weren't controlling didn't seem to do anything (like return fire, crouch down for cover) when you weren't controlling him.

Apart from that glaring, fun-wrecking, gameplay flaw it actually seemed very good.

Or did I miss something?

You must be rubbish then. The Green Beret character that you start with seems to be an unstoppable killing machine, with (what appears to be?) a shotgun that can score headshots from about a mile away.

I'm glad it's not purely Commandos but viewed in the first person, that would be the definition of tedium. As it stands it's just a fairly bland and inoffensive strategy shooter.

Shit that you can't change the resolution in the demo. Got killed by a machine gun nest that was a tiny pixellated blob in the distance. Lord knows how this is going to work on the PS2.

-snip-

Shit that you can't change the resolution in the demo. Got killed by a machine gun nest that was a tiny pixellated blob in the distance. Lord knows how this is going to work on the PS2.

Actually if you go into the config files there's a fairly obvious resolution setting. Just set it to whatever you want.

Am I right though that the commando you don't control doesn't return fire?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been watching videos from this at IGN, and I think it looks like good fun.

http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/708/708695/vids_1.html

Yes - the graphics can be very basic but using that sniper rifle looks very satisfying. The fact that the difficulty have been turned down also appeals to me; I never played the other Commandos games, except the second one, and I never got far in that one because it was too frustrating. Strike Force is a FPS and I love first person shooters - how can this game be bad?

I'm tempted to buy it; What score did Edge give the game? I know Gamestm gave it a 4/10 but I don't think much of some of their other scores, so I don't think they are right about this one either.

How about some more impressions from people who actually bought it? :lol: