The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

I'm going to use SkyGo on my Ps3 or 360 to get the channel. My brother subscribes to Sky Sports so I should be able to use his subscription on my Ps3 even though we live at different addresses. Anyone see the flaw in this? I'm assuming I can watch F1 in SD on SkyGo.

Apparently you can only register 2 devices on sky go so you will need to check with your brother he may have PC & iPhone or console registered already thus using up his 2 devices.

1326802549.jpg

Confirmed!

Bruno Senna will drive the second Williams car during the 2012 Formula 1 season, as the team from Grove finally announced who will partner Pastor Maldonado.

Senna, the nephew of three-time world champion Ayrton, made his grand prix debut with the Hispania team back in 2010, but could not secure a seat for the start of the 2011 season.

He eventually replaced Nick Heidfeld at the Renault team from last year's Belgian Grand Prix, but the team decided to hire Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean for the 2012 season. Senna managed two points in eight races during 2011.

After months of speculation, Williams confirmed on Tuesday that the 28-year-old Brazilian will race alongside Maldonado this year.

Senna will make his debut with the team on February 9th at Jerez during the first test of the year.

"Bruno only started racing when he was 20 years old but quickly proved his talent in F3 and GP2," said Frank Williams.

"In a tightly fought 2008 GP2 season, Bruno finished second in the Championship with notable victories in Monaco and Silverstone, the latter in the wet. The circumstances of Bruno's two seasons in Formula 1 have not given him an ideal opportunity to deliver consistently so it was essential that we spent as much time with him as possible to understand and evaluate him as a driver.

"We have done this both on track and in our simulator and he has proven quick, technically insightful and above all capable of learning and applying his learning quickly and consistently. Now we are looking forward to seeing that talent in our race car."

Senna added: "I feel very privileged that Williams has selected me as one of their race drivers. The team has a great heritage and I hope I can help write a good chapter in their history. The evaluation process has been intense and methodical but the time I have spent in the factory has demonstrated that the team has great people and all the resources needed to achieve better things this season.

"It will be very interesting to drive for a team that my uncle has driven for, particularly as quite a few of the people here actually worked with Ayrton. Hopefully we can bring back some memories and create some great new ones too.

"I also want to get some good results in return for the support my country has given me to help get me to this position today. I am very proud to be Brazilian and more motivated than ever to demonstrate what I can do. Ever since I first sat in a go-kart I never wanted to do anything else."

The move means Rubens Barrichello looks set to be absent from Formula 1 for the first time in 20 years.

The Brazilian said on Twitter after the announcement that his "future is wide open".

(From Autosport)

I thought Senna did a good job in difficult circumstances last year. Difficult to evaluate really, but its a bit harsh to write him off like that. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do, although there's obviously a good chance the car will be shite.

It is a shame his drive came at the expense of Rubens not Maldonado though.

If Senna really is at Williams it's the weakest driver pairing they've ever had - by a long way. A very sad day.

But think of all that lovely money they bring, which is what I imagine Parr will be saying as he doesn't seem bothered about much else. It's sad but Williams seems more about getting by than trying to be anything else.

I'm going to use SkyGo on my Ps3 or 360 to get the channel. My brother subscribes to Sky Sports so I should be able to use his subscription on my Ps3 even though we live at different addresses. Anyone see the flaw in this? I'm assuming I can watch F1 in SD on SkyGo.

Totally forgot about this!

My sister has Sky and HD but no sports, just saw this on the sky website though:-

With Sky TV? Upgrade to Sky+HD

Access up to 50 HD‡ channels

Sky Sports Formula 1™ HD channel

Free Sky+HD box when you upgrade to Sky+HD. Excludes existing Sky+HD households

Already have a black Sky+ box? Just add the HD Pack to upgrade to Sky+HD - no box or set-up fees

Just £10.25 extra a month

So I could also wrangle getting the F1 HD channel added onto their package for cheap.

Now I can play the price offers game with Virgin and Sky :)

i do this with the football so will carry on with F1. sky have changed it now so that you can only register 2 devices (previously it was 4) and can only change a device once a month (previously unlimited). you also need your brothers SkyID assuming he has registered his account online. there shouldn't be any problems though.

I'm assuming that is for the Sky Sports package. In fairness, if you just wanted F1 then the basic cost is £30 a month. Not cheap, but not too bad. I wonder if Sky will offer a F1 season pass, as in won't make you sign up for a full twelve month contract.

Yeah, I thought I mayaswell get Sport on top as I have missed the cricket. Thanks also to the negist and subsequent pos-er!

How are we going to work during the races? It would be crap to spoil the thread for non Murdochists but equally it is quite nice to read stuff during the race. What about individual threads for each "elite" race (as I think I will refer to them)?.

Yeah, I thought I mayaswell get Sport on top as I have missed the cricket. Thanks also to the negist and subsequent pos-er!

How are we going to work during the races? It would be crap to spoil the thread for non Murdochists but equally it is quite nice to read stuff during the race. What about individual threads for each "elite" race (as I think I will refer to them)?.

Go ahead and spoil in the thread, the people who are bothering to watch live (be it sky or stream or just being non-british) shouldn't have the discussion spoiled by the rest of us.

We're big and strong enough to not look in the thread for 3 hours a week and if we're not it's our damned fault.

If you're feeling especially polite, whomever is the first to post at the start, begin their post with a 1000x1000 "STOP WATCHING NOW IDIOTS" image.

What I will do is keep away from the TV/Facebook/people talking (I will PUNCH THEM if they start talking about F1) etc. until the BBC coverage starts, then I'll scroll to the last read comment here and read as I'm watching, during the dull moments.

Finally found some pictures of the new Toyota LMP1 car, not the prettiest looking thing but great to see a big manufacturer coming back. Hopefully it will be more successful then their F1 stint and only just seen they're partnering with ORECA which should hopefully make that so.

Ajbl0iUCEAAmn4n.jpg

409548_10150574853427328_703872327_8915341_1974289193_n.jpg

The official term is "Big Honking Fin". I've come to quite like them, actually. remind me of the old D-types.

Now surely the similarity to the 908 is purely a case of convergent evolution. A reputable company like Toyota motorsport would never stoop to just flat-out copying a competitors car. There's certainly no precedent for that ever happening.

That's a real shame, hopefully the cars will still run one way or another, maybe if things pick up for them they'll be back in the future. I can imagine they where banking on Peugeot Vs Audi over the next couple of seasons whilst other manufactures get up to speed or cars developed, hopefully this doesn't cause too many problems.

Toyota unfortunately scare a lot of people when they come into any kind of motorsport. When they jumped into CART in the mid-90's other engine manufacturers found they were having to spend huge amounts of money to match what Toyota were ploughing in. Ditto with the Toyota F1 team. I'd not be surprised if Peugeot have looked at Toyota's track record for spending big, realised that in the current climate they were never going to be able to compete and have pulled the plug based on that.