rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick_L

The Formula 1 Thread

And it didn't anyway.

Yes it did. It had 1.3 litres in when he stopped.

A tenth of a second per lap over an entire GP is about six seconds, which often means several places just on the final results, and who knows what other gains during the rest of the race (seeing you ahead of a rival after a pit stop instead of the other way round, etc). Surely it's just as big an advantage there, if not bigger?

I guess overall they'd have been better off just letting him literally run out of fuel; the one time that I can remember drivers actually getting caught with illegal fuel (the two BMW's were running it too hot in the 2007 Brazilian GP) they decided not to give them any punishment it at all (perhaps, coincidentally, because it would have made Hamilton the world champion instead of Raikkonen ;)).

All fair.

My point though was more that it's virtually impossible to judge your fuel to 1l over 66 laps. But absolutely possible over 3, where only 1 of them is driven in anger.

Ah, I see. He had enough fuel but he shouldn't have stopped on the track.

Yes that's well worth sending him to the back of the grid.

Ah, I see. He had enough fuel but he shouldn't have stopped on the track.

Yes that's well worth sending him to the back of the grid.

No he had enough to test only BECAUSE he stopped on track. The rules say the car has to have 1 litre of fuel over and above the amount required to get back to the pits.

I've always wondered why they bother with samples. Why don't the FIA fuel all the cars with the same amount and seal the tanks before the session? Give them all plenty of juice so theres incentive to get out on track and burn it off if they want a chance of setting a decent time. Although I suppose that's not as "green" as sitting in the garage "saving tires"...

Why the double standards in applying the rules... Kob set his time in Q2 and didn't have enough to get back to the pits... was he punished too?

Why the double standards in applying the rules... Kob set his time in Q2 and didn't have enough to get back to the pits... was he punished too?

I imagine he had enough fuel.

I've always wondered why they bother with samples. Why don't the FIA fuel all the cars with the same amount and seal the tanks before the session? Give them all plenty of juice so theres incentive to get out on track and burn it off if they want a chance of setting a decent time. Although I suppose that's not as "green" as sitting in the garage "saving tires"...

Because they need to test the fuel actually used was legal. They DID used to do exactly what you said and all we saw was cars running round deliberately burning fuel. Yes, they stopped it for that reason.

Kobayashi didn't get back to the pits because he had hydraulic problems, which is fine as it's one of those things that happens. If Hamilton had broken down, then no doubt nothing would have happened, so there's no double standards happening.

That would be the Force Majure they talk about. I bet they still checked that Kobs had 1l + rest of lap though.

Fair enough, I didn't even know Hams got the penalty until I went on this thread, the BBC abruptly cut things right after qualy.

Gary Anderson BBC F1 technical analyst

"The fuel rig guy put the rig on, but he had the handle set to drain fuel. He discovered his mistake and switched it to put fuel in the car. But as a result he didn't put as much fuel in it as he should have. You have to be able to drive back to the pit-lane and have one litre of fuel left for the FIA to test. He went across the start-finish line 20 seconds before the chequered flag but if they had sat in the garage for three or four more seconds to get more fuel in, they still would have had time to cross the line and complete another flying lap. Sometimes I don't think McLaren think on their feet."

Harsh, Gary, harsh.

Harsh, but given the number of pit crew cockups in the last year, it's not really excessive. Hamilton and Button have both been screwed over repeatedly by mistakes made by their mechanics and pit crew.

Aye, they look to have had the best car so far this season, but time and again theres been some cock up thats damaged their race. Absolutely gutted for Hamilton but incredibly happy to see a Williams on Pole Position again :D

Let's see if Meatball Marinara can keep it up in the race.

I used to think the people suggesting Hamilton would walk were overreacting. I think I'm on the verge of agreeing with them. Mistakes are forgivable, but repeatedly making mistakes? Not so much.

• Upvote 1

I'm a Formula1 fan before anything else. Decisions like this ruin the spectacle for the fans who like to see good ol' battle. Obviously I cant expect someone like yourself to understand that.

Silly mistake by Mclaren, hoping Hammy can come through to finish top 10

I'm a Formula1 fan before anything else. Decisions like this ruin the spectacle for the fans who like to see good ol' battle. Obviously I cant expect someone like yourself to understand that.

Agreed, my annoyance is more to do with the FIA not really being consistent with their decisions (this one cant really be compared to others though as its only happened on one other occassion and that was the same team and driver). I understand why they have different stewards for different races, but I do think that can also have a negative impact on the consistency of decisions too.

Good point by Eddie, the penalty should only have been for Q3, so Hammy should have been demoted to 10th

Didn't think I'd be rooting for Maldonado anytime soon but what the heck.... COME ON PAS!

• Upvote 1

Didn't think I'd be rooting for Maldonado anytime soon but what the heck.... COME ON PAS!

Anyone but Alonso to win. Kimi :)

For the "spectacle", Hamilton coming through the field is better than him running away with it.

Hamilton earned that pole though. All of the "experts" have said he'd gain a tenth of a second on the fuel he was on, not 5 tenths, that was all his own work.

Yeah, let's let people cheat so long as it's good telly.

It's a sport, it has rules, McLaren knowingly broke them.

If Eddie's plan was adopted, literally every team would start taking the risk of doing it.

Also good to see a smile, nice driver Grosjean

Martin's grid walks are head & shoulders above DC's.

Agree but I think give him a few more races, he will get better

Yeah sucks for him that his team messed up, but if you break the rules you break the rules. And all this, "only a tenth" thing is rubbish, if you start running scrutineering based on "did it really matter at the end oft he day", it'd be a circus.

For the "spectacle", Hamilton coming through the field is better than him running away with it.

Why bother with qualifying at all in that case?

Camera mans bored of Horner and has gone to look at the ladies