The Formula 1 Thread

Righto, here we go:

Friday F1 Quiz

1) Sweden has had two Grand Prix winners. The obvious one is Ronnie Peterson - who was the other?

2) Renault introduced their turbo F1 engine in 1977. Between then and 1997 when they pulled out of the sport and their engines were re-badged for 1998, how many seasons was the Renault name absent from Formula One, either as a constructor or an engine provider?

3) How many cars were running at the end of the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix?

4) Who was the last driver to win Le Mans in a season where they also drove a Grand Prix?

5) What was the unusual cause for the above driver to miss the final two Grands Prix of the 1988 season?

6) Prior to their return to F1 in 2011, when was the last year that Pirelli had supplied F1 teams with their tyres?

7) Following on from that, prior to Sebastian Vettel winning on Pirellis at the 2011 Australian Grand Prix who was the last driver to win on Pirelli tyres, and at what Grand Prix?

8 ) What was unusual about Hans Heyer's participation in the 1977 German Grand Prix?

:hat:. Am quite busy so might not be able to check up on this for a while, but am sure between you lot you can crack the majority of these :)

Ah, managed to see these before I got scheduled into a meeting!

3) That's the correct number of classified finishers, but not all of those were still under their own power when the chequered flag dropped ;).

8 ) You're right on both counts, but neither of those were the particular (and hilarious) answer I was after.

Ah shit! I remember, it was only the podium finishers that technically classified as completed the race. Frentzen had to pull out?

So it was Panis, Coulthard and Herbet.

Righto, here we go:

Friday F1 Quiz

:hat:. Am quite busy so might not be able to check up on this for a while, but am sure between you lot you can crack the majority of these :)

Ok, straight off the top of my head.

2. 1987 and 1988. Lotus switched to Honda in 1987 and they were out until the NA forumula.

It's only 4 I think. More were classified but were already out through shunts

Got to be Brundle. Someone's going to say Herbert here but he hadn't made his GP debut when question 5 happened.

1991. F1 went 1 tyre at the end of the year until Bridgestone turned up

Nelson Piquet, Benetton, Canada 1991

He didn't qualify but drove out of the pits anyway and the few who noticed, didn't care

Reading back I'm wrong about 3 and 4. also I looked up the answer to 5. Eep.

Dudley hits several home runs and gets questions 2, 6, 7 and 8 correct! He is also almost correct with question 3 - if you count Frentzen as running (which technically you could) then that would be right.

4 is wrong though but has been answered already :). I think they have all been solved now, so answers in spoilers:

Q1: Yeah, got this one wrong! :hat: to Dr Slotter for answering that 3 Swedes won races: Peterson, Bonnier (who I had in mind) and Nilsson, who sadly slipped my mind.

Q2: 1987 and 1988

Q3: 3 (although with Frentzen it would be 4)

Q4: Yannick Dalmas

Q5: Legionnaire's Disease :(

Q6: 1991

Q7: Piquet, 1991 Canadian GP

Q8: He failed to qualify, but as the marshals at Hockenheim knew him they didn't give a solitary fuck when he snuck around to the back of the grid and started anyway. He broke down shortly after!

Thanks to all those who had a go :), I'll probably do a few more fairly soon.

It could be argued that Wurz as the winner of the 2009 Le Mans 24Hr and the Brawn/Honda Test driver at the time, was the last F1 driver to win le Mans. ;)

actually , he was the winner in 1996 with the TWR Porsche when he was also driving for Benetton ... errr and Dalmas, yeah won in 1988 when driving for Larrousse.

So Wurz wins that one. But Dalmas was off in 1988 with some chest infection do dar for the last two races.

aaaaaaah no bugger he drove for Benetton in 1997, and AMG Merc at Le Mans but didn't win. Okay then the only technical winner of Le Mans and an actually bonified F1 driver the same year would be Dalmas.

That'll teach me to doubt Kiroquai :facepalm::hat:

I'm in Monaco now, so psyched about qualifying tomorrow. Anything could happen with this rain forecast. Best moment was when Damon Hill very excitedly came of a party at the hotel de Paris to look at some really weird car that was parked outside. Seemed kind of boutique and based on a yacht's tender. He took loads of photos of it.

There's a word for people like you, GwiDan... :twisted:

Lucky! :D

I hope that you have a fantastic weekend! Do talk about it here if you can. It'd be wonderful to hear from you as it's happening or even to have a post-weekend report at some point in the next few days.

We had a nice shot of Loews here just now... :)

:o That Schumacher clip! Was he/is he going to get punished for that? The 5 place drop is purely for the crash isn't it?

In other news, not so long ago I remember moaning about car manufacturers sticking their names on unrelated f1 cars. I should have been grateful, I see this race we have QPR vs Chelsea :(

:facepalm: I'd really like to like that guy.. thing is it's different to making a dangerous mistake; that's deliberately endangering the safety of many people, not to mention a fellow driver.. second offence in as many seasons, he should be banned for a few races for that imo...