IGNORED

The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

Blimey :unsure:

It's obviously down to personal sponsors and blah blah. Even I'm not blinkered enough to think it's a pretty dodgy move.

Fingers crossed the W04 turns out to be a car that makes all the concern look silly. First car properly designed and developed by the new tech team, new driver, potentially a bigger commitment from Mercedes financially... hmm. Could be alright. Huge risk to take for Lewis, though.

Reckon Perez will prove a good choice for McLaren. Problem is, all the Mexican money Carlos Slim was putting into Sauber kind of propped the team up. I'd not be surprised if they're hastily trying to negotiate keeping the same deal if they put Gutierrez in the second seat alongside BishiBashi next season.

Ross Brawn being spoken of as key to convincing Mercedes had theirs and Lewis's best years ahead. Michael being spoken of as disappointing on his return. Its a shame they can acknowledge the car was no good but still have a dig at the man for not performing miracles. Much as I'd hate to see him go hopefully he wouldn't contemplate driving with anyone but Brawn.

Great move for Lewis I reckon. He needed a change, he needed something different. There's too much history between him and McLaren. They have let each other down far too often (althoough I reckon McLaren are well in the lead on that score!).

The great thing is - no excuses for Lewis or Mercedes now. Lewis needs to prove that he can exist outside the bubble of McLaren, Mercedes need to show that they're really taking their own team seriously. It's high pressure for both, and that's great for the viewer. If Lewis drives Mercedes to be regular winners then that's his legacy written, much like Schumacher wrote his by driving Ferrari back to glory.

Plus, like Adam Cooper said on Twitter, it's not like Lewis has signed for HRT or anything. Big rule changes coming up, McLaren set to lose their customer support etc. It is a huge risk and it is obviously mostly about money and personal deals, but there are reasonably sound sporting reasons why this could be good for Lewis.

Could.

Excellent... Will likely mean the final curtain for Schumacher, which has saddened me somewhat, his return never really worked out I just hope it doesn't take away from his legacy over the years.

Can't wait to see Lewis Hamilton in another car, could be a very exciting team with him and Rosberg, the only issue I see is another worry over the number one status in the team.

Can't wait to see Lewis Hamilton in another car, could be a very exciting team with him and Rosberg, the only issue I see is another worry over the number one status in the team.

He's been given unequivocal Number 1 status - which means Rosberg can either lke it or lump it. Hamilton is agoing to have a Schumacher at ferrari type situation. The car is going to be developed for him. All the testing is going to be focused for Hamilton. Its a great deal for him.

To move now is nothing short of MENTAL. Your a world champion and arguably the equal best driver in Formula one. If you and your management are doing their jobs correctly you should not be driving anything other than a car from the top two or at worst three teams. There isn't an opening right now, but there will be in 1 year. So it's blatantly obvious you wait a year.

I understand the move - the need to move. But when the time is right and to a car that is at least in the top 3.

Mercedes are not even the 4th best team in 2012.

This is a gamble, nothing else. It's a poor decision all round based of the facts as they stand today. Mercedes may make a good car next year. They may not. They need to find a fucktun of speed to challenge the top 3 next year let alone beat them.

With Mercedes commited to F1 until 2020 now & one of the fastest drivers in the field locked its time for them to shine. Brawn certainly knows how to win. I think Lewis wanted a team that was 100% behind him, much like Alonso has at Ferrari & I'm guessing he'll get it at Merc. 2014 is a new year for everyone so will be interesting to see how this all pans out. As much as I'm personally gutted from a fanboy pov good luck to him & I hope it works out. As Kiro said its a chance for him to create his legacy in the sport, will he become a great or have some torrid years, time will tell. Oh & I really really really hope it's not just about money.

I think Perez to Mclaren is a good move. Both he & jenson have similar driving styles so good from the engineers pov. I'm hearing Alg is to sauber & massa is staying put.

"Engine performance in 2014 could be such a large determinator in how fast your car is such are the reg changes," observed Sky Sports F1's David Croft as he reflected on the news. "To drive for a team that manufactures their own engines [which Mercedes will do] could be advantageous.

YES - IN 2014, NOT 2013!!!! If you REALLY want to go to Merc, sign a 1 year, merc keep Mickey for 1 more year. You sign a Vettel/Ferrai style 'signal of intent' agreement and wait and see. IF their car is good in 2013 it validates a move in 2014 if your convinced they've nailed the engine side.

This is like Man U signing a team of players from the Championship. It's that mental.

All this does of course mean that massa is safe for another year !!!!!

nojWx.gif

I still dont think its the bad move everyone is making out, Lewis should be double if not tripple world champion by now and largely Mclaren have let him down meaning he is not - it is also obvious the special relationship was between Ron and Lewis and in latter years the team have had trouble trying to appease both drivers.

I maintain that Lewis is a better driver than Button, he is quicker and able to drive the wheels off a bag of bones while also being one of the best overtakers out there. Mclaren are in a similar position to Sky procycling with too many British stars trying to pull the team in a different direction - a dream team for the fans for sure but you cant keep both happy 100% of the time.

Time will tell of course but Mclaren have failed to deliver the potential of either driver and more so Lewis, he should have been champion this season too - maybe he will but i imagine the fact he will not be (and the team not constructors champions) was the final straw and i dont think its much of a gamble to leave a team failing to deliver in their status to join a team with probably the best driver manager and tactician out there let alone the money of Merc and the only team engine supply shortly!

Lewis to Mercedes, Michael into retirement? Me, turn telly off and go do something fun.

Seriously hope it isn't true. The grid still needs him.

The occasional flashes of the old spark don't outweigh 3 years of forgettable drives. the only memorable thing michael's done this year is to drive in the back of someone, hard. twice. He's essentially taken up a seat that would have far better used for an up-and-comer.

If he still wants to race- I'm sure he'd find a happy home in sportscars - I'd love to see him do that.

To move now is nothing short of MENTAL. Your a world champion and arguably the equal best driver in Formula one. If you and your management are doing their jobs correctly you should not be driving anything other than a car from the top two or at worst three teams. There isn't an opening right now, but there will be in 1 year. So it's blatantly obvious you wait a year.

I understand the move - the need to move. But when the time is right and to a car that is at least in the top 3.

Mercedes are not even the 4th best team in 2011.

This is a gamble, nothing else. It's a poor decision all round based of the facts as they stand today. Mercedes may make a good car next year. They may not. They need to find a fucktun of speed to challenge the top 3 next year let alone beat them.

See I like the gamble, he can go to a team and mould it into his own. Look at Schumacher when he went to Ferrari, I remember at the time wondering what on earth he was playing at. Ferrari were the third best team at a time when it was less competitive between teams. They were never challenging the Bennetton and Williams teams for honours. I think it works out a good decision for Lewis long term.

This is like Man U signing a team of players from the Championship. It's that mental.

Its nothing like that at all, its like an Arsenal player joining Man City a couple of years ago - playing in a team full of potential but delivering fuck all and moving to a team with no recent history but potential and money...

It does seem a bit of a gamble for Hamilton. No one is expecting great things from Mercedes in 2013 so Hamilton will probably be driving around the midfield much of next year and getting into the corresponding scraps he does when he is in the midfield. As for 2014, who knows who will come out on top. Let's face facts, Mercedes in their history in F1 (in all their different guises) have made precisely one championship winning car. It's not a grand history really.

As people have said, I'm surprised Hamilton didn't go for a one year deal or even a two year deal. Making a two year deal would let him see how the next generation of cars pans out and he would then have his pick. Making a one year deal opens the door to Red Bull and Newey. Yes, he'll be number 1 for Mercedes but being number 1 for a midfield team doesn't seem like the be all or end all.

Of course, we all said Jenson was mad to leave Brawn for McLaren so we may all look back on this in two or three years and be astounded at how good Hamilton's choice was when he is on his 3rd Championship...

This really is a golden opportunity for fans of Lewis. That's why I am a bit surprised at the extent of the negative reaction. It's not as if Lewis hasn't achieved anything; he's won a title, he's won loads of races. All the while, he's had the (fair or unfair) proviso running that he was very much moulded into this by McLaren and that they were equally as responsible for his success.

This is Lewis' spotlight moment. If he goes to Mercedes and he wins races and titles, they can truly say that not only did he make a very astute move, but that he is one of the greats. He can do and become everything Schumacher made himself into at Ferrari - what greater possibility is there for an already-World Champion than that? The easy thing for Lewis to do would have been stay put. As much as the money thing does have something to do with this, I really admire him for actually making the move.

The conspiracy theorist in me see's Bernie all over this move. He's wanted Mercedes to commit to the sport fully for a minute. Schumi didn't produce anything so now he's out. Lewis is in & Mercedes have commited, I wonder if Bernie will be making sure lewis does well there somehow? Bernie still hates Ron so that's just the icing on the cake for him. I'm sure all the above is bollocks btw.

See I like the gamble, he can go to a team and mould it into his own. Look at Schumacher when he went to Ferrari, I remember at the time wondering what on earth he was playing at. Ferrari were the third best team at a time when it was less competitive between teams. They were never challenging the Bennetton and Williams teams for honours. I think it works out a good decision for Lewis long term.

It's kind of like it. In that Ferrari had a shit car, as do Mercedes. But they also had limitless resources - something Mercedes simply don't have - they are a distant 4th when it comes to spending today.

... at the moment :). I think this Lewis thing is a big sign of intent. If you are going to sign a man considered one of the elite, you're going to look remarkably silly as a company if you then don't give him the resources to win.

Mercedes do have more cash to throw at the team - it's just for the past three years they've tried to get things done a little... er... more 'economically'. I think the penny dropped that if they want their own team up front and centre then they need to invest.