The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

In response to some of Choddos comments.....

I am tempted to watch the first race on the BBC from the perspective of seeing if it is as good as I think it was when they last hosted it. I hope so because I seem to have my fondest memories of the older races and the beeb.

The whole arrogance thing when comparing Schumacher and Hamilton. The thing with Schumacher was, that yes he had an arrogant air about him - and was more than prepared to cheat when it was necessary. I like that win at all costs. But what set him apart from Hamilton to me is in the way he handled himself when interviewed. I may well be wrong, but the times I saw him talking, he was always flattered to be compared to his heroes like Senna. It was always a case of "let's not get carried away because I have a points lead because anything can happen" - or the show of emotion when equaling Sennas records. Humility I guess might be a good word to choose. it could well have been all a show for the press, but that's what I prefer, to seeing someone acting like he is the dogs bollocks.

Compare with some of what Hamilton has said.."I think I am already as good as Schumacher" - "I'm not worried because I will go out and win the next race". It's that extra edge I don't like. I honestly don't believe that Schumacher ever came out with stuff like "I'm a better driver than Senna was".

And it's just stuff like that to be honest. I can't force myself to like him and the more I see of him and read, the more it puts me off him. Some people obviously like that outspokenness but it's not for me. It's why I would have preferred to see Massa win. People made fun of him here, and I am sure someone even referred to him as being arrogant - but I haven't seen any evidence of that myself.

Hamilton being a brit is a non issue for me, it never has been when watching F1. It's an international sport and I support whoever excites me regardless of where they were born. I don't feel compelled to support sports stars because of their nationality and never have. Maybe that's because the sports I have followed with a passion have been so few and rarely had British winners amongst them.

I have always been a McLaren fan however, because my grandads surname is McLaren and he loved motor racing and it was him that got me into Formula 1 in the first place. But they haven't had a driver in a few years that I was particularly interested in supporting.

I hope next season the likes of Vettel and to a slightly lesser extent, Webber, are given cars that let them really compete. It's one thing to support those drivers, but it's another to stay tuned every race weekend if they are only managing to scrape a top ten position.

I hope I have managed to explain things without pissing anyone off.

Did Hamilton really say he's better than Schumacher?

If so what a dick. Even if you think that, you don't say it. You're judged by others not yourself. Let's see him turn around a failing team or winning races in a shit car in the rain in Monaco. Plus I think Schumacher had tougher opponents like Hill and Hakkinen.

As much as it pains me to say it, Hamilton didn't deserve to win. His drive on Sunday was in danger of making Kovalinen look good.

Yeah, what they should do is just say "fuck having 17 races in a season so the best driver over a season wins it, let's just base the entire championship on a drivers performance in one single race that's vastly in favour of Massa anyway."

Compare with some of what Hamilton has said.."I think I am already as good as Schumacher" - "I'm not worried because I will go out and win the next race". It's that extra edge I don't like. I honestly don't believe that Schumacher ever came out with stuff like "I'm a better driver than Senna was".
Did Hamilton really say he's better than Schumacher?

No. In an interview as long ago as yesterday he was asked how he thought of himself in comparison to Schumacher and said Schumacher was "special" and he could hope to be that good. The Senna comments were also made up.

In response to some of Choddos comments.....

I am tempted to watch the first race on the BBC from the perspective of seeing if it is as good as I think it was when they last hosted it. I hope so because I seem to have my fondest memories of the older races and the beeb.

The whole arrogance thing when comparing Schumacher and Hamilton. The thing with Schumacher was, that yes he had an arrogant air about him - and was more than prepared to cheat when it was necessary. I like that win at all costs. But what set him apart from Hamilton to me is in the way he handled himself when interviewed. I may well be wrong, but the times I saw him talking, he was always flattered to be compared to his heroes like Senna. It was always a case of "let's not get carried away because I have a points lead because anything can happen" - or the show of emotion when equaling Sennas records. Humility I guess might be a good word to choose. it could well have been all a show for the press, but that's what I prefer, to seeing someone acting like he is the dogs bollocks.

And it's just stuff like that to be honest. I can't force myself to like him and the more I see of him and read, the more it puts me off him. Some people obviously like that outspokenness but it's not for me. It's why I would have preferred to see Massa win. People made fun of him here, and I am sure someone even referred to him as being arrogant - but I haven't seen any evidence of that myself.

Hamilton being a brit is a non issue for me, it never has been when watching F1. It's an international sport and I support whoever excites me regardless of where they were born. I don't feel compelled to support sports stars because of their nationality and never have. Maybe that's because the sports I have followed with a passion have been so few and rarely had British winners amongst them.

I have always been a McLaren fan however, because my grandads surname is McLaren and he loved motor racing and it was him that got me into Formula 1 in the first place. But they haven't had a driver in a few years that I was particularly interested in supporting.

I hope next season the likes of Vettel and to a slightly lesser extent, Webber, are given cars that let them really compete. It's one thing to support those drivers, but it's another to stay tuned every race weekend if they are only managing to scrape a top ten position.

I hope I have managed to explain things without pissing anyone off.

Yes :D

I've never seen Hamilton say he was better than Schumacher or Senna though. Maybe I've missed something important, that does sound like horseshit.

edit: hmmm

Your search - "I think I am already as good as Schumacher" +Hamilton - did not match any documents.

Steve, are you sure you're not dreaming about this stuff? :lol:

Funnily enough Choddo I just googled it myself. One of the first results is from the News of the World. Cant quote it yet as Im on my psp. Its something along the lines of 'im just as good as Schumacher'. But I imagine that source will have some folk sneering

Well, I don't buy the News of the World so it's not where I would have read it in the first place to be honest. But i kind of figured because it went against popular opinion that it would be considered a fake headline. So I can't win.

Anyway, I just wanted to reply to Choddo and try and explain some of what puts me off Hamilton.

He's got that annoying little brother vibe about him. Like if you made a joke about him to his face he'd take it badly or immediately try to refute your statement, the one you never meant in the first place. I know what you mean, he resonates annoyance. I think he will change though. I think now he's won something and he's moving into his 3rd year he will mature, personality wise. It must be difficult for him to live within so many boundaries and still try to express a personality. I was well pleased when he won and I am not his biggest fan.

Yeah that's fair do's with how they twisted it. But as I say, I didn't read it there initially, it would have been on a sports site somewhere.

But on the other hand - do a google search for arrogant Hamilton quotes and there are a lot. Things like saying "Raikkonen has no balls" - "Massa needs to work hard to keep up with me".

Then do a search for arrogant Schumacher quotes.- one of the first results is a guy saying "I have never seen any arrogant Schmacher quotes". They are hard to find and I personally haven't ever seen any. Schumacher always stayed the side of never comparing himself to anyone else, and for me personally, I prefer that trait to someone being outspoken.

Anyway, I have said why I don't like him and I can't do anymore than that I'm afraid.

You don't like Hamilton but Webber is one of your favourites?

I find him one of the most arrogant, uptight and pretentious people I've ever seen on my TV screen to be honest, although a lot of that comes from his attitude towards Hamilton over these last couple of seasons I admit. So I can see why you might like him actually...

Ok, I'm not sure what else I can say now. I don't like him - just like people here won't like certain TV stars, or singers, bands, whatever. There will be no ratioanle behind it other than you think they are shit. Same for me with Hamilton. I don't like his (lack of) personality, I don't like his arrogance - more the way he portrays that arrogance, not knowing when to hold back.

Oh and yawdib - doesn't it work the other way around then? You like an arrogant driver like Hamilton who has talked down other drivers, but don't like Webber, an example of yours being that he talked down a driver.

Yeah that's fair do's with how they twisted it. But as I say, I didn't read it there initially, it would have been on a sports site somewhere.

But on the other hand - do a google search for arrogant Hamilton quotes and there are a lot. Things like saying "Raikkonen has no balls" - "Massa needs to work hard to keep up with me".

Then do a search for arrogant Schumacher quotes.- one of the first results is a guy saying "I have never seen any arrogant Schmacher quotes". They are hard to find and I personally haven't ever seen any. Schumacher always stayed the side of never comparing himself to anyone else, and for me personally, I prefer that trait to someone being outspoken.

Anyway, I have said why I don't like him and I can't do anymore than that I'm afraid.

What about Alonso? What's your view on him? Now if you're talking about arrogance, he exudes it in buckets.

Ok, I'll answer Smoothy and then I'm done. Alonso blows hot and cold for me. I'm not a massive fan, but I do think he has been fantastic the last few races, and I'd still like to see him in a competitive car to see what he could do. But I wouldn't be first in line cheering him on.

I HATE him, Alonso. I always hope that his ejector seat will accidentally activate during a race and send him Wile E Coyote style into the distance.

That's a dangerous word to use in this thread.

Expect these fellas along any minute now... :D

Spanish_Inquisition_(Monty_Python).jpg

I wonder if Lewis would ever be tempted by such a move?

Everything would have to go sour at Mclaren big time for that to happen. Very different from Kimi jumping ship - he had no connecton to the team. Leaving for Ferrari is like going from Sunderland to Newcastle.

Still, it's happened before. Maybe things won't be as rosy when Ron steps back, who knows. I wouldn't bet on it though. I could see him being there for a very, very long time.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else think that Vettel's possible move to Red Bull would be a massive step backwards?

I'm surprised one of the bigger teams haven't been scouting him – Renault's second seat, for example.

I don't think so to be honest. I really thought that Red Bull would be the dark horses this year with Adrian Newey onboard. But with hindsight it was expecting too much of him to transform the team so quickly. I hope that next year they do well because I like the whole vibe surrounding them. There is that same sense of fun that Jordan sometimes had, and it's nice seeing teams that aren't so serious all the time.