The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

Piquet has shot himself in both feet. If it turns out he's lying like a bitch out of spite (which I'm pretty sure he is) then no other team will ever touch him again with a 50ft pole. If it turns out he's telling the truth he's probably going to get banned by the FIA anyway!

hmm worked out ok for Alonso though.

exactly. Alonso is a crybaby whereas Piquet is a nobody.

It's not really the same. Alonso wasn't culpable in 07 though. He didn't do anything wrong, his team did. Where as Piquet didn't something pretty bad (assuming this is true). Of course he was ordered to do so by his team so he might just get away with it. Although Bernie would disagree .

Alonso did damage his reputation quite a bit in 07. But as you say, team bosses might be more inclined to look the other way when a driver is as brilliant as Alonso.

It's not really the same. Alonso wasn't culpable in 07 though. He didn't do anything wrong, his team did.

I thought Alonso was a major player (even one of only two people who was in on it?), but got away with it because he went to the FIA with "I've got something really naughty to tell you, but I want immunity from prosecution first".

I thought Alonso was a major player (even one of only two people who was in on it?), but got away with it because he went to the FIA with "I've got something really naughty to tell you, but I want immunity from prosecution first".

Not at all. It was Mike Coughlan who was receiving intel on Ferrari from Nigel Stepney. Mike Coughlan then relayed info about the Ferrari's weight distrubution to the test team. In an emal, Alonso asked the test team (Pedro De Las Rossa to be precise) where it came from and De La Rossa replied telling him it came from Coughlan who got it from Stepney. Alonso then waived that email in Ron Dennis' face and Dennis just immeadiately handed it into the FIA by way of 'fuck you' to Alonso.

Well... that's their story anyway. But I would put money on what you said you thought happened being exactly what did happen. I mean, they both (Dennis & Alonso) proclaimed that as soon as they found out about the wrong doing they told each other / the FIA. But well..... that's what they claim. The FIA certainly didn't beleive them gave them an ultra atomic power bomb for their troubles.

An Ultra Automic Power Bomb is down, down towards, towards, back, back down, down, down towards, towards + LP + MP +HP if you were curious.

Bless..

Badoer says media forced him out

By Matt Beer Sunday, September 6th 2009, 12:11 GMT

Luca Badoer has claimed that negative press coverage of his two races substituting for Felipe Massa encouraged Ferrari to drop him in favour of Giancarlo Fisichella.

Long-time Ferrari test driver Badoer returned to Formula 1 after a ten-year absence when Michael Schumacher's neck injury prevented him from making his intended comeback while Massa recovered from the head injuries sustained in Hungary.

Badoer struggled in both the European and Belgian Grands Prix - spending both weekends at the tail of the field. He received substantial negative press coverage for his results, and he reckons Ferrari would have given him another chance but for all the bad press being aimed in his direction.

"Those who write don't understand how much harm they can cause," Badoer was quoted as saying by Gazzetta Sportiva. "The media played a fundamental role in the decision to replace me."

The Italian remains convinced that his performances would have improved given more time - and says he is still proud of his time as a Ferrari F1 driver.

"I realised my dream," Badoer said. "I will always be able to tell my kids I raced two races for Ferrari. Maranello had faith in me. I only have one regret - from the third grand prix I would have done better.

"There was no agreement on how many races I would do. I thought I had time to improve. And these rules stop a reserve driver from testing and make him a victim - it happens only in Formula 1."

Badoer admitted that Fisichella, who is moving to Ferrari after taking a shock second place for Force India at Spa, was likely to fare much better than him.

"Giancarlo is a quick driver," he said. "I am happy for him, he has achieved his dream of driving a Ferrari and he will do better than me because he has been racing for years in F1 and knows the 2009 cars well. He can quickly aim for results."

Ferrari has also announced that Fisichella will stay on and become the team's reserve driver in 2010, but Badoer expects there to be room for him in Ferrari's testing line-up too.

"My intention is to stay," he said. "I am finished with races but my relationship with Ferrari continues."

:lol:

Good lord, that's pretty desperate to try and stay with the team when you've proved to be painfully slow, and have no career left so to speak of. Surely he can't just wait for the winter to come and step into a car to pound a few laps round a circuit when nobodies watching?

Or maybe he's just too slow to go and do anything else? hide behind the veil of slowness by driving part time as a tester?

His kids won't disown him, they're probably old enough to drive faster than he can!

one the one hand, Badoer did kind of get the rough end of the deal. Dropped into the car at the last minute with no testing or even driving since december last year, he was always going to fail i think.

But he did himself no favours when he told Smedley to fuck off and let him drive. He clocked up 5 pit lane penalties in his first race, drove in to the back of the force india at the end of his first race. Then to cap it all, he was last by a country mile when his team mate won. On a track any european driver knows like the back of his hand.

To then blame the media for his removal is just lame isn't it. Which is a shame after all the good work he did over the last 10 years helping Ferrari develop the cars into championship winning cars. back when test teams were running on the weekend that the race teams were off, Badoer was the one putting the miles in and making Mikey Shoes and Co look good.

Now he's probably going to loose his test contract and leave as a bit of a laughing stock.

But it's Ferrari's fault for not sticking Gene (part of this years Le Mans winning crew, fact fans) into the car when they had the chance. He's the only driver they have that had driven a full downforce car this year. Now they've picked up Fisi, Gene stands no chance. this too is a shame.

Oh and thankyou for the birthday nod. My wife has given me a drive in a Lotus Exige and a Ferrari 360 F1 Modena at silverstone as a present. she is loverly my wife :(

It’s almost time to leave Europe, It’s been a tough middle of the season for some of the teams, some up, some down.

Brawn have gone from easy winners to wobbly also ran’s.

Redbull have gone from strength to strength but are spending too much time with French mechanics crawling all over the back of their cars.

McLaren have turned a dog into a thorough bred race winner. Whilst Ferrari have lost 1 driver, fired another and pinched a third from the back of the grid.

Monza, it’s ALL about speed here. Back in the day, Enzo always built the rest of the car around the engine. He wanted a car that could go fast, not because it was slippery like a missile flying though the afternoon heat. No it was fast because it had a MASSIVE engine in the back. To drive a Ferrari fast you had to have arms like tree trunks and balls the size grapefruits. The cars were fast in a straight line and they won at Monza. Enzos scarlet cars would power round the autodrome de Monza and beat the rest of the world in front of the most passionate, most knowledgeable pack of fans anywhere in the world. There are no more devote and fanatical bunch of petrol head anywhere. And they are there to cheer on just one team. The Tifosi want one thing and this year they want something very special.

Fisichella got pole in Spa and then came second to Kimi. The next thing, Monty is knocking on the teams’ trailer, flashing wads of Euros at Vijay Mallya before walking off with his number one driver. So Fisi, an Italian remember, will be driving for Ferrari, an Italian team, at Monza, an Italian Race. In front of a very partisan Italian crowd…… He’d better win, or there could be a riot.

Can he win or will Kimi spoil the party?

What are Brawn and Redbull going to do? Redbull have a very few engines left. Brawn has one driver with nothing to loose and one with everything to loose.

McLaren have a fast can in a straight line and big grunty engine. Hamilton could be a contender here. KERS could be the deciding factor here. With a nice big boost out of the parabolic and across the line they could be set for pole and the fastest lap.

Renault have a charge of “bringing the sport into disrepute” for cheating outrageously in Singapore last year, hanging over their collective heads. Whilst the Redbull lads are gathering round the back of the Renault pits to ask some searching questions. Don’t expect too much from the garlic eaters.

With the pain in the arse the lack of practice new/swopped drivers are getting in cars they've not driven before is, could they change that? Even from a safety viewpoint, with drivers going out on an active circuit in a car not driven before. Maybe they could have some sort of limited practice for these situations?

I guess the issue is preventing a team from engineering"such a situation purely to get an advantage by having an extra test.

I'm sure that something is going to be negotiated over the off-season as a result of the awkwardness this season.

If was doing it, it would be something like a very limited amount of testing (1 day a month?) at a single nominated track (per team), using a nominated test/reserve driver. the cost involved in that hopefully wouldn;t be too large.

I guess the issue is preventing a team from engineering"such a situation purely to get an advantage by having an extra test.

I'm sure that something is going to be negotiated over the off-season as a result of the awkwardness this season.

If was doing it, it would be something like a very limited amount of testing (1 day a month?) at a single nominated track (per team), using a nominated test/reserve driver. the cost involved in that hopefully wouldn;t be too large.

Could insist on allowing the test driver to drive on the same bog standard model as all the others. i.e have a basic F1 car that would give them a taste for that sort of speed and handling.

How about, if a team needs to have a third driver ready to take over from an injured or fired driver, then all the teams would be present with their third/support driver at a nominated circuit that has been used or is not on the calender.

They could run the cars in race trim no parts could be replaced on the car, obviously all data would be useful, but they couldn't try out new bits for evaluation.

That way testing would happen with non GP drivers, on cars that will race, and all the teams could be present. This would only happen if there was a replacement driver needed. Either fired or injured. Would teams fire drivers to get useful data, knowing their back up driver had only had 3 days testing ?

I personally think they should be allowed to run a third car on Fridays. Keep the ban on in-season testing but allow the test drivers to drive the third car on Fridays. Spectators win, test/reserve drivers win and it's still a hell of lot cheaper than flying the whole test team to some country ever other week, bombing around with no one watching (thus receiving no extra revenue from the advertisers/sponsors). Plus the third car can be used as a spare car for the race weekend if it's needed.

Admittedly it would raise costs but it would still cost less than in season testing.

Job Done.

I personally think they should be allowed to run a third car on Fridays. Keep the ban on in-season testing but allow the test drivers to drive the third car on Fridays. Spectators win, test/reserve drivers win and it's still a hell of lot cheaper than flying the whole test team to some country ever other week, bombing around with no one watching (thus receiving no extra revenue from the advertisers/sponsors). Plus the third car can be used as a spare car for the race weekend if it's needed.

Admittedly it would raise costs but it would still cost less than in season testing.

Job Done.

This.

Has to be the logical step forward, if you really want to reign it in then nominate six fridays of the season when it takes place. That way everybody gets to stick a toe in without it being every weekend.

Oooh, according to f1fanatic

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/09/09/merc...75-stake-brawn/

Mercedes are taking a 75% stake in Brawn! Scary numbers. What will this wind up doing for Mclaren? Mercedes "only" own 75% of them.

They think that Mercedes will want a German WDC winner in a Mercedes powered car - and another rumour that I read somewhere says that if they supply Red Bull, they'll do it for free to get the star on Vettel's car.