The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

IIRC?

Yes, sorry, thinko :D

Obviously Mclaren are a bigger "company" - not just the F1 team, but it sounds as if it is likely, especially with Mclaren going their own way that Mercedes might switch to a simple engine deal, turning Brawn into the manufacturer team. A situation where Mclaren might have to fight for engine suppliers after 2012. I imagine Mercedes will wait to see what the new season brings, but with the resources that they have, they might well be able to keep Brawn at the top of their game.

Sources have also revealed that race engineers at Renault were also unaware of any plan for Piquet to crash - with some of them having also been interviewed in Belgium.

It is understood that one engineer even questioned Piquet after the Singapore race about exactly what happened when he spun into the wall on lap 14 of the race. The Brazilian replied that he had simply lost control of the car.

There was also some debate on the pit wall during the race when Alonso was brought into the pits on lap 12 of the race - which was earlier than his fuel load would have allowed him to go.

Radio transcripts of the race, which have been obtained by the FIA, show that director of engineering Symonds did not share the concerns of fellow team members about making such an early stop – telling the team: "No, no, it's going to be alright."

Piquet claims that in the pre-race meeting in Singapore he was asked to crash deliberately in the race to help Alonso win, while Symonds and Briatore are both adamant that the idea came from the Brazilian driver himself.

Renault has said it will issue no comment about the matter prior to the FIA hearing later this month.

Oooof!

Ok, I take it back about Piquet making all this up.

I like how renault haven't said 'we discouraged him from doing so as that would have been cheating'. It would appear that elements of the team knew what was going to happen and others did not. Piquet crashing out wasn't exactly a novelty was it.

pppftttttt. It'll be a slap wrist and "don't do it again".

They can't retrospectively ban them, they can't fire Piquet, Reanult are looking for an excuse to leave anyway.

It'll all be a big storm in a teacup and then renault will sell up to Flav and the motoring world will move on. It's very very wrong and personly i think Symonds and Flav should be publicaly flogged on the Monza start line for blatantly lying and risking the life of there (admitedly shite) driver. But they won't, it'll be a 200,000 Euros and a suspended sentance.

Max being lenient before he waves goodbye

Can this really be real? I'm not convinced but I guess it may well be.

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_c...&Itemid=219

Shocking situation if so. If it is true then I guess Renault are in for a massive punishment.

:quote:

Feck!

Ok, I really, really, really take it back about him making it up!

Man, that's gonna bring a shitstorm of overwhelming proportions on Renault. I can't see how they'd be allowed to continue.

Shit like this goes on all the time. I can't see how people are surprised. I remember reading that Nigel Mansell was told to let Schumacher and Hill past at the start of the Australian GP in 94, so the ttitle could be fought out at the front without interference. I think that order came from Bernie.

And don't forget Kimi winning the title. Biggest fix ever IMO.

Not really F1 (apart from the start), but Newstalk radio in Ireland had an interview with Alex Zanardi last week. He talks about his F1 days, his CART crash where he lost both legs and his current touring car career and about his adapted touring car. Fair play to the guy, he talks about his crash and lack of legs with remarkable humour. "One bit of Alex went one way and another bit of Alex went the other way." He sounds like an ace guy.

MP3 link. Lasts 17 minutes.