The 3D Thread

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

Nice, was this UV too?

The top shot is the model divided into regions using the shading tab in blender to apply different materials to specific regions of the model. Each region is separately UV unwrapped using the auto UV tools in blender so it has its own texture map. When imported into UE4 this allows you to apply a separate material to each of the regions. Then I’ve used world aligned materials in UE4 to apply textures that persist across different models to align the brickwork across the separate models and regions where necessary. 

2 hours ago, Broker said:

The top shot is the model divided into regions using the shading tab in blender to apply different materials to specific regions of the model. Each region is separately UV unwrapped using the auto UV tools in blender so it has its own texture map. When imported into UE4 this allows you to apply a separate material to each of the regions. Then I’ve used world aligned materials in UE4 to apply textures that persist across different models to align the brickwork across the separate models and regions where necessary. 

Nice, can I ask what resources are you learning UE4 from please?

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

8E5erVI.png

Latest WIP.

Whenever I end up banging my head against in Blender, I tend to get distracted wit the sculpting side of things.

Eventually, I'll finish a project.

Just a case of grinding, but yeah I prefer sculpting to just point pushing.

On 09/01/2021 at 01:08, yakumo said:

Nice, can I ask what resources are you learning UE4 from please?

unreal themselves provide a bunch of great video learning resources but it is a bit of a dark art that’s always evolving. It’s amazingly powerful though, If you’re looking to get into the industry I personally would make it a priority.

Once you’re able to create assets in something like Blender then Unreal can handle the rest.

Be prepared to lose lots of work and feel like an idiot for ages along the way :)

2 hours ago, yakumo said:

imgur isn't working for me?

That's strange... trying a different link

PnijjCB_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

rIboLgE_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Basically spent a couple of hours with the mouth yesterday. I don't really have a set plan and I'm not really happy with it. But it feels like I'm in touching distance of it being 'right'. Then can go onto other details, hey some texture on it, break the centre line more.

And the older one

a3AUEHC_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

This is closer to done. Not great, but ok. I need to think how to do the 'tail' of the bandana, but that's not really a 3d modelling problem ultimately.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

That's strange... trying a different link

PnijjCB_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

rIboLgE_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Basically spent a couple of hours with the mouth yesterday. I don't really have a set plan and I'm not really happy with it. But it feels like I'm in touching distance of it being 'right'. Then can go onto other details, hey some texture on it, break the centre line more.

And the older one

a3AUEHC_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

This is closer to done. Not great, but ok. I need to think how to do the 'tail' of the bandana, but that's not really a 3d modelling problem ultimately.

Yeah imgur isn't working for me at all?, can you upload on Rllmuk please?

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Apologies, not intentionally spamming the thread with my rubbish

PnijjCB.png

rIboLgE.png

a3AUEHC.png

Pfff its not rubbish you're doing great work and making good progress from viewing you're previous works. I can tell its Green Goblin and Iron Fist. Word of advice from learning sculpting too, its best to attach a neck which overall helps you flesh out and work through proportions of the face too.

Thanks.

It's actually going to be a version of Hobgoblin but appreciate that's a difficult call in grey scale :)

I've not added necks as they're intended to be used for action figures where the body has a neck already. I'm not sure about adding a neck to then delete for the neck socket etc etc. Appreciate it could help with proportions though.

• 2 weeks later...

TOejeYx.png

G4fMZP9.png

More tinkering. I'm not really happy with it but I'm struggling to put my finger on what it is that's a problem. It's just not right.

I'm tempted to print one off and see what that reveals.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

TOejeYx.png

G4fMZP9.png

More tinkering. I'm not really happy with it but I'm struggling to put my finger on what it is that's a problem. It's just not right.

I'm tempted to print one off and see what that reveals.

1082760052_Screenshot2021-02-08162757.thumb.jpg.2e3cdc94c90842fafe3114d05f5e09a7.jpg

Thanks.

I kinda like the heavily exaggerated nose and the inhuman chin but I'll have a tinker. I think there's something in raising the cranium... I still want it have that slightly monstrous look, I know it's supposedly a mask but none of the Goblin characters really look like a guy in a mask.

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

Thanks.

I kinda like the heavily exaggerated nose and the inhuman chin but I'll have a tinker. I think there's something in raising the cranium... I still want it have that slightly monstrous look, I know it's supposedly a mask but none of the Goblin characters really look like a guy in a mask.

Sure, I'm going with the Green Goblin as ref. But the cranium definitely needs to be bigger. He literally has no place to fit the brain.

I downloaded Blender 2 days ago, I last used modelling software something like 18(?) years ago, I followed a tutorial and was surprised I remembered various concepts etc but this looks far better than anything I made back then:

77F3FF70-8C13-4B63-8BBB-CE26F23B068F.thumb.jpeg.07db3b6425b2980ce7bdb5fd94e0fcba.jpeg

I've got a long running project that I've never really made much progress with. I dunno what it is, but I seem not to 'get' the methods for what I'm trying to do, which seems to be fairly easy really.

Being a sad bastard, I've been trying to make a few figures of comic characters - my own takes, kinda thing, inspired by different things in to be 3d printed. Over the couple of years I've been working on this, on and off, I've achieved nearly nothing because i never quite get things in my head. Take something like doing some armour. I'll be getting to do a chest armour piece, a fairly simple and clean design (inspired by Shalvey's Moon Knight). I've tried to do it with Blender and I've never got something I'm happy with, but then equally I barely, barely know what I'm doing with Blender and I've not got the patience somehow to learn how to do something I've no interest in to do what I want to do. I've tried it with Fusion and got better results but still not really what I wanted and for reasons unknown to me, the software seemed not to want to let me do what I wanted it to at times. Again, I barely know what I'm doing.

Stupidly it's demoralising and frustrating though. I've not gone back to it for a while, on Fusion at least, but tonight decided I'd sit down after dinne to give it another go. And a couple of hours later, having made little progress, I realise I've been sat at this desk all day, doing my job, which is hardly exciting, or rewarding, and then I've had dinner, and gone back to the desk, and achieved nothing but waste my time.

So I've then spent a bit of time tonight looking for tutorials and so on (again) to do this kinda thing in Blender. And you get things like a guy making an entire armoured warrior from scratch on what looks like fairly simple steps in an hour (albeit sped up a lot) and get demoralised all over again because i don't seem to get it somehow.

Sorry for the meaningless rant. I'm fucking frustrated at a lot of things at the moment and not progressing on this again has put the tin hat on it.

My biggest piece of advice would be never to start with models of people. Even if you’ve got experience from the past, they’re the hardest thing to make and it’s really frustrating trying to get the proportions right.

Non-organic forms are the best thing to aim for at first. Creating a scene with mostly objects is a good starting point. Start with low poly versions, just creating the basic shapes and then arrange them into a scene that gives you the idea of the layout. Then you can go through and increase the detail  and complexity of each item. Geometric shapes are good to aim for, especially anything created by machines that can be mass produced. Buildings and furniture are also great choices. 

If you can look at something and imagine how to break it down into boxes then it’s a good choice. Make sure it doesn’t have moving parts, or that they can stay in a fixed position. It’s a slow process but with practice you’ll be able to move on to more complex shapes and organic forms. 

On 16/02/2021 at 23:09, Chindie said:

Sorry for the meaningless rant. I'm fucking frustrated at a lot of things at the moment and not progressing on this again has put the tin hat on it.

Your best bet is probably to take a step back from doing what you want right now, and get stuck into a tutorial or two. I hate learning new software, so I know how frustrating this can be. The thing with all these packages though is that they are huge and fully-featured, and it looks like there's a mountain to climb if you want to learn how to use them - BUT, you can get decent results with a fraction of the toolset (honestly - I've used 3DS Max for 25 years and I've barely troubled about 90% of it's tools - there's 10% I'm really good with and that gets me by). So, dive into some tutorials to get yourself up to speed, but then jump ship when you think you have enough to do what you want to be doing. You can always go back later if you need something more complex, but you'll have spent a bit of time with the program by then, so learning should come easier anyway.

And if you want some positive thinking - look on that time spent learning as the thing that enables you to do what you want to be doing - it's not a barrier, it's a gateway (sounds like bollocks, but honestly I felt a lot better about my stupid job when I decided it enabled me to make games in my spare time, rather than it wasting time I could have been spending making games).

On 16/02/2021 at 18:55, Kryptonian said:

I downloaded Blender 2 days ago, I last used modelling software something like 18(?) years ago, I followed a tutorial and was surprised I remembered various concepts etc but this looks far better than anything I made back then:

77F3FF70-8C13-4B63-8BBB-CE26F23B068F.thumb.jpeg.07db3b6425b2980ce7bdb5fd94e0fcba.jpeg

Still haven't done this tutorial yet, looks great

Just now, yakumo said:

Still haven't done this tutorial yet, looks great

I really like the guy that did it. In the first video I was worried he was going to be a bit 'try hard-y' but as it went on he came across quite well I thought. I need to do the coffee now but have drifted back to Unity for a bit and will do it in a bit I hope. The donut looks better on my phone screen it seems (and the original render), the sprinkles look shit there.