The 3D Thread

On 28/02/2021 at 00:05, yakumo said:

Still new to 3D but so low poly model in 3DS Max then I then unwrapped with the UVs imported into Photoshop to paint and texture?. Looks great by the way, its something I like to do myself but are you a professional?. Possible to see the model and the textures please?

Sure thing. He's using 3 main textures for the body, head and eyes (I did an alternate evil eye texture too), box modelled/unwrapped in Max (the diaper is actually a separate mesh too) then the exported UV's were painted in Photoshop.

I also painted some quite basic black/white surface textures to convert into normal maps which add a little extra detail (but are probably horrendously wasteful). I have been doing this professionally for about 15 years (10 years self employed) but to be honest I do suffer a bit from not really excelling particularly in any discipline, I am sure my working methods are quite dated and do miss having a quality team/lead around to keep me learning.

model.thumb.png.fad5077e4e88315c92ee0751bf038c21.pngtextures.thumb.png.bf5c6880fe1680fbd1315229a3fcad82.png

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Sure thing. He's using 3 main textures for the body, head and eyes (I did an alternate evil eye texture too), box modelled/unwrapped in Max (the diaper is actually a separate mesh too) then the exported UV's were painted in Photoshop.

I also painted some quite basic black/white surface textures to convert into normal maps which add a little extra detail (but are probably horrendously wasteful). I have been doing this professionally for about 15 years (10 years self employed) but to be honest I do suffer a bit from not really excelling particularly in any discipline, I am sure my working methods are quite dated and do miss having a quality team/lead around to keep me learning.

model.thumb.png.fad5077e4e88315c92ee0751bf038c21.pngtextures.thumb.png.bf5c6880fe1680fbd1315229a3fcad82.png

Thanks for the detailed explanation and pictures:), think it looks great and its the sort of thing I want to do really. The only thing I really dislike probably because I'm new to 3D is Uving, for some reason I find it more complicated than it should be. I really just want to model and then texture but didn't know UVing is an important step in the process. Again thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing more of you're work.

20 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation and pictures:), think it looks great and its the sort of thing I want to do really. The only thing I really dislike probably because I'm new to 3D is Uving, for some reason I find it more complicated than it should be. I really just want to model and then texture but didn't know UVing is an important step in the process. Again thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing more of you're work.

Well keep it up and be assured that you are not alone. I am not keen on the UV/texturing part of the process myself and seek to circumvent/make it simpler for myself whenever possible. There are certainly some great tools about now that make it less of a chore than it used to be (pelt mapping and the peel functions in 3D max are a godsend) I have little knowledge of the same aspects of Maya or Blender but they've no doubt got their own equivalents and shortcuts.

It will become more second nature the more you do it to the point where you'll be fully comfortable (but no less bored doing it if it's not your favourite bit!)