IGNORED

The 3D Thread

suzakuseven

15 hours ago, Capwn said:

a challenge I worked on during October, as usual kinda ended up regretting decisions I made half way through and dialed back the initial ambition but at least I finished something.

image.thumb.png.a990a765620ad45ebfc5a6f99baf62f5.png

image.thumb.png.c00048ce52348ba3871c6660cabcbda5.png

Dude that is impressive, congrats on finishing it which I find is an accomplishment in itself. However, it looks bloody great.

On 10/09/2021 at 20:24, yakumo said:

Of interest is anyone else frustrated how difficult 3D is, so many things you need to learn besides modelling from Retopo, UV, Baking, to lighting etc. Feeling burnt out recently from trying to learn. Tried many things which ended up in complete failure, and I had to scrap them because brute forcing wasn't going to cut it. Be interested to hear other people's experiences.

End Rant.

Keep meaning to reply to that.

Yeah 3D is brutal and over the last 10-15 years especially it's got to a point where gamedev/3D has so many options that it's impossible to keep on top of. Something to keep in mind is that they are just tools, you don't need to learn 100% of any software. It's actually better to know 10% of several software than 50% of two software for example. Also avoid being in the mindset that shortcuts are bad, re-use as much as possible and when planning, set it up in a way that you can re-use as much as possible. Create a corner of a room instead of a full environment area etc. 

I know where you're coming from though, I recently found myself gravitating towards substance designer materials because creating a 'finished' material was much more achievable in a short amount of time. So that was satisfying. I'm trying to gear myself up to build environments again but taking babysteps towards it. Like with that recent one I did, making it orthographic and just using shader/vertex color for texturing eliminated a lot of work/hassle for me. There are also only about 4 wall/floor pieces that I just repeat and move around.

I guess my suggestion is to make your work lighter for yourself where possible. Use what's best for you. For example I want to get away from making textures entirely in substance, I want to eventually get a to a place where I'm just using the basics of a few select tools. So rather continue to study substance so that my textures are 100% substance, make it so I'm combining with my basic zbrush/photoshop knowledge to fill in the gaps.

but yeah it can be overwhelming for sure, I get burnout from time to time. This MIGHT be an interesting podcast if it's creeping into your work life too.

On 02/11/2021 at 17:16, Capwn said:

Keep meaning to reply to that.

Yeah 3D is brutal and over the last 10-15 years especially it's got to a point where gamedev/3D has so many options that it's impossible to keep on top of. Something to keep in mind is that they are just tools, you don't need to learn 100% of any software. It's actually better to know 10% of several software than 50% of two software for example. Also avoid being in the mindset that shortcuts are bad, re-use as much as possible and when planning, set it up in a way that you can re-use as much as possible. Create a corner of a room instead of a full environment area etc. 

I know where you're coming from though, I recently found myself gravitating towards substance designer materials because creating a 'finished' material was much more achievable in a short amount of time. So that was satisfying. I'm trying to gear myself up to build environments again but taking babysteps towards it. Like with that recent one I did, making it orthographic and just using shader/vertex color for texturing eliminated a lot of work/hassle for me. There are also only about 4 wall/floor pieces that I just repeat and move around.

I guess my suggestion is to make your work lighter for yourself where possible. Use what's best for you. For example I want to get away from making textures entirely in substance, I want to eventually get a to a place where I'm just using the basics of a few select tools. So rather continue to study substance so that my textures are 100% substance, make it so I'm combining with my basic zbrush/photoshop knowledge to fill in the gaps.

but yeah it can be overwhelming for sure, I get burnout from time to time. This MIGHT be an interesting podcast if it's creeping into your work life too.

Thanks for the reply, its just I'm new to 3D and trying to devour as much as possible and learn as fast as possible. I know this isn't the best method but I'm hungry to make this something I want to do. My goal is to steer away from modelling realistic items, and gear towards myself making cute, fun little scenes with characters I have in my head I'm trying to get out in 3D. However, I do know any hard surface I'm doing in Blender, since its easier than Zbrush and I have a certain grasp of UVing and texturing. My work flow from doing all of this is Blender then Substance Painter for texturing to then render in Blender. However, I do agree I should take small steps instead but I wish I had friends I could talk to about this stuff, help each other in certain spots since sometimes I scratch my head and thinking what the hell am I doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good grief. Blender has got so much better since I last tried it. My hooky ancient copy of 3ds max started crashing all the time, so I decided to give Blender yet another go. It's so much nicer than the last time I tried! I hate that I need to adopt different work practices still, because I'm incredibly lazy, but at least it feels like I can actually achieve stuff again. Also, legitimately, which is kinda nice ( although I spoke to someone who worked Autodesk at an event and they said they couldn't care less about folk using old pirate copies of Max, which made me feel a bit better about myself).

3 hours ago, MarkN said:

( although I spoke to someone who worked Autodesk at an event and they said they couldn't care less about folk using old pirate copies of Max, which made me feel a bit better about myself).

If they think for one microsecond that you've done commercial work on it they will hunt you down.

We've been 100% legal licensed customers for years and still managed to get audited more than once by their less than friendly legal team because we did something like forget to uninstall AutoCAD LT 2010 from a Pentium PC that only gets used to hold a door open nowadays. They didn't care that our reseller assured them we were 100% legit, we even had more licenses of software than engineers to use it!

There's also the fact that blender 3.0 piddles over older 3DS Max from a great height, especially when comparing simple stuff like real time feedback on materials and lighting with the Eevee engine. Shading and lighting is so much more efficient when you can see it live.

Another one. Am certainly coming to a crossroads with creating complex substance designer materials with height maps, since most games (especially stylized) still don't use them. We seem to be moving more towards higher poly counts than extra special texture maps this gen so I do think I should be focusing more on creating more geometry in my portfolio. Using height maps for obtaining information for my albedo rather than exporting.

Anyway...

image.thumb.png.ae5455b1f95e564f3dbf74e6709c12ee.png

• 2 weeks later...

Some great work you’re doing capwn 

Really feel for the people in this thread struggling to figure things out and get things finished, poly modelling is a process I never really clicked with and these days I’m just buying / downloading models and know enough to be able to modify it a bit, maybe take a break from that process and try using existing stuff and doing some texturing / lighting / rendering?

We did a few Unreal projects for clients and couldn’t show any of the work so ended up making a short film ourselves, adapting a childrens book.

• 2 months later...

SZmf0LG.png

More of my rubbish. I've not done any sculpting recently, put my time into trying to learn to model on Blender to get further towards my goal of making some custom 1/6th figures. But got a bit bored tinkering with other things so decided to bash out another attempt at a Bolland style Taskmaster, which is the next project, when Moon Knight is finished... When...

Obviously a long way to go but I like it more than the first in some ways already.

Also modelling/sculpting hands is a pain in the arse. I'm hoping in can make a single hand and then rig it into positions to create multiple printable hands from a single model, but I need to get to the first model first.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Something I have been working on. Need some things from a TA point of view so been setting up all sorts for my portfolio. Optimised wind material systems, auto terrains and what not. 

received_368998681785870.jpg

Will share more as it progresses, but really happy with the style so far. Essentially want to get it to the point we can make a world and it auto populates nigh on everything, then we can go in and hand adjust/place more hero areas. 

Edit: also realising this may be more for the game development thread! 

• 2 weeks later...

Working on a monthly cyberpunk challenge, only got a week left and yet have so much more I want to do. I'm still pretty new to Unreal (coming from Unity) so am using this challenge as a way of getting to grips with lighting as well as the usual importing/exporting etc

image.thumb.png.f653e966a74f99a113abee896112cc37.png

• 1 month later...

Over the last few years, my wife and I have been creating an increasingly elaborate puppet show thing for the kids who come around at Halloween. Last year I ended up teaching myself enough Blender that I could do a projection-mapped background:

I was hoping to do something new for this year, but I haven't used Blender at all since, so I'd basically have to learn it all from scratch again.

Does anyone fancy collaborating on something?

1 hour ago, Lochenvar said:

Over the last few years, my wife and I have been creating an increasingly elaborate puppet show thing for the kids who come around at Halloween. Last year I ended up teaching myself enough Blender that I could do a projection-mapped background:

I was hoping to do something new for this year, but I haven't used Blender at all since, so I'd basically have to learn it all from scratch again.

Does anyone fancy collaborating on something?

That's so cool! I hope the kiddies who visit are impressed.

I can never see that much, from behind the screen, but my wife says they always react really well. Generally they’re stunned into silence for a bit. 😁

I do remember one really tiny girl, a couple of years ago, must have only been about three or four. She was with a group and while the others were getting sweets, she wouldn’t take her eyes off the puppet and I could see her trying to process that this talking thing was right in front of her. 

That’s why we went with a muppet-type puppet, as most of the kids were very young, so we didn’t want to scare them. 

Generally it’s the parents who give the best reaction as they’re very grateful that we’ve put so much effort into it. 

It is a lot of work though, which is why it would be great to find someone to help with the 3D graphics side of it.