IGNORED

Test Drive Unlimited

Steve007

I started off by buying an Alfa GT 3.2 V6 24v, which seems to go nicely enough, though it pales in comparison to the Elise I rented when I first got off the plane.

So, does this game have an intro sequence ? In addition, it seems that one of the "missions" involves taking someone to the airport. Is this airport "busy" ? By that, I mean "are there airliners taking off and landing at regular intervals" ?

I know that these might sound like irrelevant questions, but there's nothing worse than having a working airport with planes that take off and land in a rubbish manner. You know what I mean. Lifting off the ground without rotating first. Having only two speeds (slow when on the runway, and then supersonic the instant after they leave the ground). Wheels that disappear in the blink of an eye, rather than a smooth undercarriage retraction.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. What the fuck is he talking about ? It's just that stuff like this matters to me.

I haven't noticed any. I was a good 4 miles ahead of the racers at the back on the Island Tour scenario.

It was very noticable on the longest race - cant remember the name - where you win the Alfa. After some time there were 3 cars in the running, we would be neck a neck in places and then the other two would fall back, then later they would accelerate past again, and you could always be sure to catch them up if you had a prang - all on straightish sections of road so there was no cornering skill involved.

So, does this game have an intro sequence ? In addition, it seems that one of the "missions" involves taking someone to the airport. Is this airport "busy" ? By that, I mean "are there airliners taking off and landing at regular intervals" ?

I know that these might sound like irrelevant questions, but there's nothing worse than having a working airport with planes that take off and land in a rubbish manner. You know what I mean. Lifting off the ground without rotating first. Having only two speeds (slow when on the runway, and then supersonic the instant after they leave the ground). Wheels that disappear in the blink of an eye, rather than a smooth undercarriage retraction.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. What the fuck is he talking about ? It's just that stuff like this matters to me.

Next time I pass I must look more closely - there are certainly airliners in the air but how they get there....

I've watched a few aircraft take off and land (and tried to race a few back to the airport) and while I havent really been as observant about the detail you speak of the planes do land and take off in a fairly realistic manner. (I think they just land and then take off again after taxi-ing back round to the end of the run way)

Is anyone playing this in SD? Whats the famerate like compared to HD?

I'm playing this in SD, though I haven't seen it in HD so I can't really compare. The framerate is pretty good, though not super-smooth - there are occasional little hitches, presumably as it streams stuff in. There's a moderate amount of popup too. But considering what the game's doing, the framerate is good.

yeah i'm pretty sure the frame judders are an effect of streaming as its pretty good in HD too. There is also incredibly little tearing. I'm pretty happy with the presentation, but if I found out it was running at a locked 30fps in SD i'd probably choose that instead.

Can't you just set your 360 to 480p temporarily to find out?

Just started it. The island is even bigger than I thought from the map. This will take some time.

Just completed my first challenge, a transporter challenge which I accidently activated. Almost did it perfectly too, but near the end some idiot on the freeway pulled over to my lane as I was passing. Still, I'm almost $90,000 better off after that challenge.

This is definitely not the airport sim for you.

Oh man, I've had this vision for my whole gaming life of driving game nirvana. i talked about it earlier in this thread. If only i'd known how prophetic I was being. My childhood dreams of what games could one day be may actually have just been realised.

Blatantly what we need is a long distance racing game with realistically modelled environments. I would absolutely adore an online Cornwall to London race. Starting at the beaches and working your way to the city centre. Say; buckingham palace.

The country roads could be like Burnout, then the motorway would be like that Japanese highway battle game then once you get into town it'd be like GTA. Running red lights would get you pursued by the cops and if you get caught it costs about 20 seconds (the writing of a fine) or something. So you might actually be quicker stopping at the lights.

Likewise, you can go much fater on a motorway than through back streets, but you have to deal with the congestion.

Obviously it would take some tweaking to make it more game playable, but it'd also be the bomb.

Imagine racing the great ocean road from melbourne to Bells beach, or that awesome road that goes from L.A. to San francisco. Or the M25

------------------

The only problem is that as soon as your competitor takes a different route you'd have no idea whos winning. Also, it might make the challenge a bit duller not seeign your adversary.

However, if your car had a sat nav then it could bring the fun back. Having constant updates that your rival is, say, 80 miles from the destination when you are 95 miles away could make you take riskier routes and more chances. your satnav could point out short cuts for you as well as your preplanned route. Most racing games you dont see the short cuts till its too late, and you only get to take advantage of em on multiple plays.

The satnav could also alert you to speed traps. If you were leading you could slow down and cruise through em, but if you're behind you could fly through em and geta bit of a chase going on.

I can imagine not seeing an adversary for 10 minutes and then suddenly meeting up with them on a motorway would be exhilerating.

It also means the cars could have more factors to take into account than just acceleration and braking. A smart car will get thrashed on the motorway by a ferrarri, but on busy streets it'll be able to nip through traffic with ease while the ferrarri gets stuck on the high street. i think it'd need to be a game thats not afraid of going slow on occassion. there would be tenseness involved with being stuck in traffic, waiting and looking for a perfect opportunity to break through.

Having a cannonball run licence could mean enemy AI could be based around the character types. This would make you feel less like you are racing against mindless drones.

One question, when you flash your headlights at another car to set up a challenge... can you do that to multiple cars if you're all together?

Christ, so far this is anything but relaxing :angry:

I thought it'd be a cool game to chill out to, almost like driving around the city in GTA/Saint's Row but without the violence. The handling is just far too twitchy though, and makes dodging traffic just that little bit annoying. It's actually a little frustrating so far.

Christ, so far this is anything but relaxing :angry:

I thought it'd be a cool game to chill out to, almost like driving around the city in GTA/Saint's Row but without the violence. The handling is just far too twitchy though, and makes dodging traffic just that little bit annoying. It's actually a little frustrating so far.

Try turning driving aids off and steering sensitivity down about half-way, for starters. See if that helps.

If not, I'd suggest restarting and buying a different car.

Had my first go of this earlier, impressed so far :] The graphics are decent, the foliage reminds me of Oblivion in a lot of ways. A bit of slow down here and there (running it in HD) but nothing that is going to cause any major problems. The frontend is very slick, particularly like the way the map is handled and also the achievement tracking is really nifty.

Had my first attempt at a delivery mission which was excellent, can't remember what car it was but suffice to say it was a bit nippier than my Audi TT :] Real sense of power that you have to control, love the feeling you get when you're stuck behind someone, spot a small gap ahead, open the engine up and pull past, excellent :D

When I played earlier, it said the TDU server was down, yet I'm sure I saw some other people whizzing about, any clues? Also, who do I need to pester for an invite to a car club?

Yeah, I messed around with the sensitivity settings and found something I was more comfortable with! Lowering it is much better at high speeds, it's no where near as twitchy.

Although, I still found cars kept doing their best to pull out in front of me when I was driving fast down a road. Strange!

What's the story with car showrooms? I decided to visit them all today for 2 reasons. To get a look around the island and because it says the bike showrooms open when I've found them all.

I got all the ones on the in-game map. Then I noticed at least one on the paper map which wasn't on the in-game map. Just found it (a Lexus showroom) and I can't enter it. Do I need to complete a number of races/missions before they all open?

[EDIT]

Never mind, I found one on the in-game map which I had missed after all. But I suppose the question still stands with that Lexus showroom.

When I played earlier, it said the TDU server was down, yet I'm sure I saw some other people whizzing about, any clues? Also, who do I need to pester for an invite to a car club?

When the server's down, TDU patches in AI characters to bomb around randomly and maintain the online feel. You can tell, because rather than being called things like "xX MiT0cH0nDrIa 1979 Xx" they're called things like "Jeff".