IGNORED

Test Drive Unlimited

Steve007

When finding all the roads, does that include having to drive down every street in the cities too?

Yeah, you basically need the make all the roads on the main map Blue.

Yes!

It's daunting at first if you keep pluggin' away at it you get there in the end. You'll get used to scouring the GPS map for grey roads! But once it's done... there's beautiful blue lines everywhere! :wacko:

Aye, and of course you've all the challenges, houses, tuning shops etc opened and ready to be warped to at will. :)

Very hard*. The concentration for 60 minutes has to be spot on, trying to maximise speed and avoid collisions over the whole gamut of road types. The police function is on which means you really have to slow down after every chase starts to avoid getting 2 cars on your tail - after 2 cars it seems every other car is a police vehicle and you will hit one of them, leading to the 3rd and final stage of roadblocks which will eventually cause you to stop.

Its also fairly difficult to pace yourself the first go because the checkpoint stages are of different lengths and there is no cumulative mileage.

*Maybe not for you, you are probably a better driver than me :wacko:

I am determined to get gold on it, even though there are much easier ways to earn cash, together with the achievement which requires you to find every road.

I managed to do it first time on my Kawa.. whatever it is bike. Did it in 52'11"54, but my Xbox Live cut off a few miles in, so I have no idea whether that's a good time or not. The first half is pretty tricky and boring, but the second half is just beautiful. Long straight sweeping roads - really made good time in the second half. I think I'd do that again to earn a bit of cash, to be honest.

If anyone is interested, my Test Drive review has just been published.

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, so I don't know if they editied it at all.

http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=7065

Looks like a pretty good review to me.

Now why hasn't my copy of TDU turned up yet.....I should be finally able to get started this week, but it sounds like you lot are miles ahead, dagnabbit.

Once you're ranked at Champion level, the game practically throws money at you. I'm quite enjoying being able to buy nine tenths of Hawaii.

Yes your money worries disappear - every challenge is worth at least £75k. The Ferrari challenge is a doddle with the tuned Enzo, so all the house and car acquisitions are just a matter of time really.

Driving around last nite and wondered if there were any tunnels from one side of the island to the other? Lots of roads just seem to end as a dead end. Be cool if there was a long tunnel to get from one side to the other! Anybody found any?

There are a number of tunnels cut into the mountains to carry the major roads through. Not come across any of the secret type though.

Started using manual gears last night to do a few missions and it made the game even better. Dropping a gear to overtake and doing my best to follow the highway code really makes you feel the power sitting under the bonnet even in the group E and F cars. The sense of accelaration has never been this grin inducing in a driving game before. Loving the Maserati's with their jet engine noises too.

Y'know, the more I play this, the more I think that with a different handling model and slightly nicer graphics, this is the game that Project Gotham 3 should have been.

Yeah, TDU has a ton of faults, but driving around that island is genuinely thrilling. The whole buying and selling of cars and property thing is implemented so much better than PGR3 it's untrue, and the variety of landscapes and tracks types exceeds all of PGR3s cities put together. TDU has tracks that really let you set your car loose and fly with it, mixed with tight tracks full of ups and downs. PGR3 has nothing of the sort - just those stupid fucking New York bridge races and a hundred fucking courses full of right-angle turns on short, flat roads.

Indeed, the only duff things about TDU are the wacky handling model which sees bikes turning slower than cars and most cars handling like tanks (which you soon get used to, by the way), and the poorly implemented online stuff which they still haven't sorted out.

Oh, and hey look Bizarre! Five second load times when I jump from one track to another! Who'd have ever dreamed such a thing were possible!

And the thing is, if Bizarre were to do something similar now, everyone would point at them and giggle for "copying Atari". TDU is what Bizarre should have been aiming for the very minute they finished PGR2, instead they did the same fucking thing they'd already done three times in a row, with nicer graphics and half the cool shit missing.

As a technical showcase, PGR3 is incredible. As a game, TDU shites on it. Imagine driving around Oahu with all of the cool challenges and features that Atari have implemented, but with PGR2's handling model, and you're looking at the best driving game ever.

Yes your money worries disappear - every challenge is worth at least £75k. The Ferrari challenge is a doddle with the tuned Enzo, so all the house and car acquisitions are just a matter of time really.

Indeed. There's also a $70,000 speed challenge that can be completed in fifteen seconds, so it's possible to earn about $140,000 every minute just by rinsing and repeating.

TDU is what Bizarre should have been aiming for the very minute they finished PGR2

Couldn't agree with you more on that one. TDU is the only game for me that's managed to recapture the sense of fun and adventure that the original Metropolis Street Racer had. I remember bombing round London in a taxi cab in that game and thinking that future games in the series would feature even bigger sections of each city, more to do apart from drive around, and maybe even link the cities up so you could really have an adventure. Oh, and I assumed they'd cram in every car ever made while they were at it.

Instead PGR3 (the fourth iteration) has fewer cars, drastically reduced city sizes, a greatly reduced Kudos system, and nothing really to do apart from racing. It's a series in terminal decline.

TDU, meanwhile, is simply ace. I really, really, really want a version of this set in the UK so I can bomb up the M1 at 200mph.

As a technical showcase, PGR3 is incredible. As a game, TDU shites on it. Imagine driving around Oahu with all of the cool challenges and features that Atari have implemented, but with PGR2's handling model, and you're looking at the best driving game ever.

Agreed. In fact I'd probably go further - one of the best games ever, full stop. Just a shame Eden couldn't nail the handling, which was labelled as a problem right from Edge's very first preview back in Spring 2005.

For me the handling is pretty much the only criticism in this game. Its the first truly next gen title i've played and i love the shit out of it. I actually think the handling is fine, but I agree, the PGR2 model would have basically made this an orgasm on a disk.

The problem is that PGR2's handling model is so forgiving, it would nullify any sense of danger to be had from tackling a hairpin, or overtaking on a narrow street. Stamping somebody elses arcade handling model all over TDU isn't going to improve matters. The model has to grow, as did MSR's\PGR's into something more refined, something befitting the series' intentions.

Driving around last nite and wondered if there were any tunnels from one side of the island to the other? Lots of roads just seem to end as a dead end. Be cool if there was a long tunnel to get from one side to the other! Anybody found any?

Once you kill the clown boss, you get a shortcut from one side to the other.

:wub:

Yeah so anyway. I finally got the $1.3 million together for the McLaren LM, a DLC car that was opened up by trading referral codes with Stroker. And I thought, 'right, you bastard package delivery missions that I couldn't do in the suped Skyline or DB9, what do you think of THIS.'

And the package missions said, 'well, we think that car's only got one seat, so cannot be used to complete us.'

Then I said, 'oh', and glanced at the $1,013 remaining in my account, then went off for a cup of tea and a bit of a cry.

Y'know, the more I play this, the more I think that with a different handling model and slightly nicer graphics, this is the game that Project Gotham 3 should have been.

I get what you mean entirely. I mean, I love PGR3. Love it, love it, love it. But months on, there is a sense that I've done this all before - in PGR2 especially. I think the model of TDU is the way forward - it just freshens the whole thing up, even though it doesn't actually do anything especially different.

However, because the whole island is loaded in one lump (well, you know what I mean) it does suffer smoothness wise. Put in PGR3 afterwards, and you really can see how jumpy TDU is when you're in a built up area with other cars. I think that would be one area that would drag PGR down if it went this way - I like the way PGR has consistantly been one of the best looking titles on both Xboxes.

So really, I prefer not to compare them. I love them both - PGR3 because I think it has the handling spot on, and is probably my favourite 'racer' on earth, and TDU because it's like a complete virtual world - I can just toddle around for hours doing absolutely nothing on a really, really beautiful island.

Indeed. But would it be ideally suited to a low speed\heavy traffic situation? IMO, no. There's just far too much oversteer and bluster going on.

But then again, neither is TDUs. Accelerate from a low speed and turn even slightly, and you're likely to spin out. Also, cars have a habit of not turning properly round sharp corners at anything over 30mph, which is completely silly.

I love the game, but the handling is by far the weakest link. Oh, and the hideously deformed character models, of course.

But then again, neither is TDUs. Accelerate from a low speed and turn even slightly, and you're likely to spin out. Also, cars have a habit of not turning properly round sharp corners at anything over 30mph, which is completely silly.

I love the game, but the handling is by far the weakest link. Oh, and the hideously deformed character models, of course.

Hahah, I love that. The 'top models' really are as ugly as real models. Plus, it's entirely possible to make your character look just like a monkey. These are selling points. :wub:

However, because the whole island is loaded in one lump (well, you know what I mean) it does suffer smoothness wise. Put in PGR3 afterwards, and you really can see how jumpy TDU is when you're in a built up area with other cars.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether Criterion can do the whole "open world" thing at 60fps with no pop-up at all in the new Burnout game. If anyone can, they can.

I do wish you'd stop going on about the handling model, you massive bender. It really isn't that bad, it's just lacking the necessary feedback.

It's not like I'm the only one banging on it. It's not bad, it's just. . . not. . . right.

The bikes need a fucking forty foot circle to turn around when you're moving at five MPH. The Sagaris turns quicker.

That's fucked up.