Test Drive Unlimited

Steve007

The bike handling is pretty awful, I'll concede that, but the more I play, the more I love the car handling. I love the PGR3 handling also but it's an entirely different type of racing game and I would not like that handling to have been imported to TDU. It would have made it all too easy.

PGR3, Ridge Racer and Outrun have got powersliding forgiveness sewn up. I welcome something as different as TDU serves up, handling-wise.

The bike handling is still a bit barmy, but they seem to be great for time trials and speed tests. I was having trouble with one timed course in particular, always a few tenths over the gold record. Switched to my bike, the Agusta whatever, which I cannot drive well, and lopped something like 8 seconds off.

They handle like F1 games. Slow excessively to make a turn, point in the new direction, absolutely bugger it up to 200 mph, same again.

With the speed cameras you can stop for each one, orient yourself, then charge. I still don't actively like the way they drive, but I've become fond of them for taking the heartache out of these challenges.

The bike handling is still a bit barmy, but they seem to be great for time trials and speed tests. I was having trouble with one timed course in particular, always a few tenths over the gold record. Switched to my bike, the Agusta whatever, which I cannot drive well, and lopped something like 8 seconds off.

That's because they go from zero to about 150mph in about two seconds.

Mental.

I was trying to get on the same server as you last night, Ayton. Tried for fucking ages, but just couldn't get you locked. That shit needs fixing.

Fo' sho'.

It probably didn't help that I kept ducking into single player missions to pay for my McLaren.

I've had the best luck finding friends by popping in and out of the satellite. It seems to sort of reassess what server you're on when you come back.

Admitedly, I've only driven 4 cars, but I don't think the handling is too bad. Certainly getting used to it. But the bikes a bit of a laugh. It's like they made a car game and tacked on bikes near the end. Still, I did get to jump clean over cars on hilly bits of freeway on my bike.

Once you kill the clown boss, you get a shortcut from one side to the other.

:)

Yeah so anyway. I finally got the $1.3 million together for the McLaren LM, a DLC car that was opened up by trading referral codes with Stroker. And I thought, 'right, you bastard package delivery missions that I couldn't do in the suped Skyline or DB9, what do you think of THIS.'

And the package missions said, 'well, we think that car's only got one seat, so cannot be used to complete us.'

Then I said, 'oh', and glanced at the $1,013 remaining in my account, then went off for a cup of tea and a bit of a cry.

:lol:

Genius, the game; and genius, your post. Up there with the best game-related posts I've ever read anywhere.

and TDU because it's like a complete virtual world - I can just toddle around for hours doing absolutely nothing on a really, really beautiful island.

This is my problem with the game - I'm just not accomplishing anything. I think I've driven about 800 miles so far, just driving around the island for the sheer hell of it.

Right, so I knuckled down and found the remaining car showrooms. Had to drive on a few new roads to do so, which is always good. Gradually filling the map up with blue... Anyway. so now I've bought myself a bike! And... er... crash horribly a lot with an animation that cuts out halfway through.

I don't suppose they're going to patch the bikes! They bloody need it! :lol:

Question : the island East of Pearl Harbour, accessible by a single (blocked) roadway bridge - how do you get onto it?

I would guess there's a way else you can't get your 100% road transit achievement...

The bridge gets unlocked at a certain rank... either pro or Expert, I can't remember.

This is my problem with the game - I'm just not accomplishing anything. I think I've driven about 800 miles so far, just driving around the island for the sheer hell of it.

I'll add another "me too."

I think I've done 2 races, one of which was that tutorial race. I did a couple of transporter missions too. but other than that, I've been driving around exploring and stuff.

I promised myself I'd race a bit tonight, but got sidetracked in Shark Energy's cheating thread and ended up doing nothing :lol:

I got PGR3 as well as this when buying the 360. It just doesn't seem appealing anymore. I've been spending all my play time on this with just a quick go at PGR3 which was quite unsatisfying.

Seems I'm not the only one :lol:

I keep just picking a place on the other side of the map and driving there. Every now and then, I stop to pick up a hitch-hiker. Invariably, they want to be dropped off somewhere in the opposite direction to which I'm driving, so I just take them for a spin in the trees until they get the message that as far as I'm concerned, they can take the fucking bus.

gamertag: togad

I keep just picking a place on the other side of the map and driving there. Every now and then, I stop to pick up a hitch-hiker. Invariably, they want to be dropped off somewhere in the opposite direction to which I'm driving, so I just take them for a spin in the trees until they get the message that as far as I'm concerned, they can take the fucking bus.

Seems I'm not the only one :)

gamertag: togad

Ahh. I think I already added you yonks ago.

I don't think you accepted though.

News:

The Force Pro Super Duper Fucking Amazing Wheel doesn't work.

The Caterham in its fully tuned form is suicidal and reminds me of a Waltzer.

I apologise in advance for this stupid question, but just checking...you did change to steering wheel setting in the map menu, yes?

52 minutes says not.

;)

Yes using the tuned up Kawasaki it (Millionaires challenge) becomes much easier. There were a few spills along the way but by the end I had got the knack of cruising and weaving amongst the traffic and on the hard shoulder at max speed (circa 200) and got in with a couple of minutes to spare. Promptly blew the cash on a 10 car mansion in the northeast of the Island (its worth shopping around for houses - the same basic models retail for differing amounts on different parts of the island).

I'm glad that biggie is out of the way. :lol: