Rllmuk Online Poker games

Jesse May

So, the 3rd season of the Rllmuk Online Poker League is over (well done once again to bazclef), and it’s time to take a step back and see where we are. This latest season was a strange one in that we changed our host site part way through. No doubt this contributed to the low turnout we had towards the end of the season, but there’s no doubt that numbers were beginning to dwindle before that. Despite the fact that 23 individual players played at least one game last season, we were struggling to get seven or eight runners in the final weeks. Although the site change will have had an effect, I wonder whether some players lost interest towards the end when it was clear they couldn’t win the league. I’m not sure.

And that’s what this thread is for. I’d really appreciate some feedback from players (current and especially past) on how they feel the games are run, how they could be improved – and, if applicable, why they stopped playing. I continued to send PMs out all through the season to players who had played regularly in the past but have dropped out in recent times (without expressly stating that they no longer wish to play). I didn’t get many replies to those PMs. That’s not a gripe, but I’d be interested to hear from those guys as to whether they’d like to be kept on the PM list for future games, and if not, what the reasons are for their reduced interest. It’d be really useful to know why people aren’t too bothered any more so that I can try make the games more accessible to future potential players.

These are a few possible issues I can think of, so let me know if any of these are applicable, or if there are any I’ve missed off:

* The change of host from Ultimate Bet to PokerRoom. I’m presuming some people couldn’t be bothered to set up another account at a new site – was this the case? It’d be good to know how many people the move excluded.

* Related to the PokerRoom move: once players are knocked out, they get kicked from the game and can no longer chat to the remaining players. Certainly frustrating – enough to stop people from playing? We’re looking into working around this, something like MSN would seem to be the solution.

* There’s no doubting that the general standard of play has improved dramatically since we first started playing these games. While there isn’t any one player who is running away with all the cash game after game, would it be fair to say that a few people got sick of losing their money every week?

* Kind of related to the above: maybe $5.50 is too much to be spending on a game of poker each and every week? Unfortunately, that’s as low a buy-in as we can manage for private tournaments.

* Is one game a week too much? Would people prefer to see the games spaced out more?

* Not having a fixed day of the week that the games take place on. This move was intended to ensure that we work around as many players’ schedules as possible on a week-to-week basis. It seemed to work fine, but maybe people would prefer a fixed day for each game to be played on?

* Is the 9pm start too early/late for some people? Would a different time be preferable?

* Is the league structure as good as it could be? 10 games, best 7 results apply, to even things up a bit for people who can’t commit to play every single game. Formula 1 style points distribution for the top finishers. Is this set-up still the best way?

* What I assume could well be the biggest factor: general apathy. Maybe the novelty has faded away for some of the previous players? When combined with the site move, I'm thinking this could be the main reason.

I’m sure I’ve probably missed off a couple of notable issues, so please post them if so. It’d be great to get the numbers up again for the new season, so I’m going to give it a few weeks before I set the wheels in motion in the hope of addressing any issues brought up in this thread. Any feedback at all would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

The buy-in is a bit high for me but I don't think we can do anything about that.

Here's an idea to throw into the mix. I noticed on the tourney set-up screen in Pokerroom you can set up Omaha Stud and Draw games as well as Hold'em. How's about we include some or all of those in the tourneys. It might level the playing field a bit...

Well, lots of points to consider there!

I feel that the buy in is acceptable, but perhaps some people got discouraged by the same faces finishing in the money every week. While I feel it would be highly unfair to punish people simply because they are better than everyone else, is there anyway that more payout places can be created? Even if 5th for example got their stake back?

I persoanlly would prefer an 8pm start time. Not such a problem in recent weeks with the lower turn out, but I have to get up at 6.45am, so when the games started running past 11pm, I started getting a bit sleepy. Obviously if they started at 10pm I would still be there, but just a thought.

All in all I believe the biggest problem was the site move. I was a bit miffed about having to fund my pokerroom account after I vowed never to play on the poxy site again, and I would be interested to know if anyone else has had the same problems of the game window closing on it's own mid hand. The reason I quit pokerroom initialy was because the whole site crashed on me on my first visit three times when I was holding premium hands. While it hasn't been that bad this time round, I have still missed hands whilst re-opening the table. Moan over, I hate the poxy site.

As for the league structure, I really believe it is a great system, as it allows peeps to miss the odd game or two and still compete. If it was all 10 games counting, any holiday would scupper the whole season. However, I do feel that a point for playing a game might reward those that play every week. As the league table is basically for fun, a point per game played (10 points per season) might encourage more people to stay intrested.

* Related to the PokerRoom move: once players are knocked out, they get kicked from the game and can no longer chat to the remaining players. Certainly frustrating – enough to stop people from playing? We’re looking into working around this, something like MSN would seem to be the solution.

As said before, this is a big minus for me as the banter is definitely missed. Anything we can do to resolve would be a big plus.

* Not having a fixed day of the week that the games take place on. This move was intended to ensure that we work around as many players’ schedules as possible on a week-to-week basis. It seemed to work fine, but maybe people would prefer a fixed day for each game to be played on?

If we are down to only regular players, and we can agree a night that works for all of us, then I think we should stick to 1 regular poker night. This wouldn't preclude others from joining us when they want but would allow everyone to schedule other stuff around it.

We could then reassess the best night at the end of each season.

If we can't agree a night that all "regulars" can do, then the current system is fine

I feel that the buy in is acceptable, but perhaps some people got discouraged by the same faces finishing in the money every week. While I feel it would be highly unfair to punish people simply because they are better than everyone else, is there anyway that more payout places can be created? Even if 5th for example got their stake back?

I think this is a great idea. For me it's not about the money (although I'd still like to play for money coz it does add to the experience); it's about the competition for me.

Indeed, as glib as it sounds, because I have been lucky enough to win more than I've lost, I have got to the stage sometimes where I haven't wanted to win, as I have been conscious that other people are losing money week in week out.

A flatter payout structure could well resolve this issue.

I persoanlly would prefer an 8pm start time. Not such a problem in recent weeks with the lower turn out, but I have to get up at 6.45am, so when the games started running past 11pm, I started getting a bit sleepy. Obviously if they started at 10pm I would still be there, but just a thought.

Agree with all that - would prefer 8 as well.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had the same problems of the game window closing on it's own mid hand.

Have personally had absolutely no problems at all with PokerRoom

As for the league structure, I really believe it is a great system, as it allows peeps to miss the odd game or two and still compete. If it was all 10 games counting, any holiday would scupper the whole season. However, I do feel that a point for playing a game might reward those that play every week. As the league table is basically for fun, a point per game played (10 points per season) might encourage more people to stay intrested.

Again agree with all of that.

Hopefully we'll get feedback from those who have stopped playing, and we can do something to get people playing again.

Another big thanks to Bill for sorting this season, if you want me to organise next season, I'm more than happy to do so.

I agree with all that too.

Flatter pay structure is cool, how about top half get paid double their buy-in, bottom half get nothing?

However I would like to see prizes for the top table finishers at the end of the season... maybe we could rustle up some free gifts from somewhere? Or if anyone could donate anything suitable? Maybe a smaler prize for 2nd/3rd place too, a nice pack of Bicycle/Bee playing cards each or something? I think it'd great to have a little token at the end for performing well. I'd be happy to help put something forward. Would be good to have this set out before it begins, hopefully motivating a few more people to join in.

No problems with Pokerroom for me, I like it.

League structure is perfection. 8pm, 9pm, 10pm are all fine with me as is a fixed day of either Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'd be happy to help out wherever I can too, updating the table straight after each game, sorting out any admin stuff, etc if needed.

Obs chat after games has to be fixed, and if PokerRoom wont support this then I would move to somewhere that does. The Obs chat is extremely important imo.

Oh, and my gf will probably play next season too.

I think that I preferred UB - they have allegedly improved their site now so maybe we could give that another try - at least you has obs chat on the final table most of the time.

I would probably play again if it was on a different site to pokerroom. The flops on pokerroom just seem to be very extreme and I have lost count of the number of times I have lost hands on the river regardless of how remote the chances of losing were! Perhaps this is the same on all sites? I think that a flatter pay structure would be much better - even if you won your stake for coming 4th or 5th then that would at least mean that you don't have to keep ploughing more money in. A fixed day every week would be oK and an earlier time wouldn't be too bad I guess. Some end of season token prizes would be a booster in terms of incentive and a nice touch as well - I personally played for the banter on the table and the poker practice.

I'll keep an eye on the forum and see what happens.

Thanks again to Bill for organising.

I take the point about including Omaha, etc. but wouldn't it actually be more daunting to beginners to have to learn a variety of disciplines from the get-go?

My stance on this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I only know how to play Hold 'Em. No, siree. Seriously though, if enough people want this to happen we'll look seriously at incorporating it. I'm just not sure how well it would work as a tool for welcoming new players.

I've stopped playing poker altogether. I might still come for the odd live game at Poet's or Thush's, if I can make it, but otherwise that's it. I get massively reduced free time now I have 2 children, and I thought I'd extracted the lion's share of the fun out of my poker obsession. I'd read the books it was sensible to read for my level (about tournament hold 'em, anyway) , had a lot of fun, won some money, but I just saw a plateau ahead of me. The only way I could ascend that gentle slope was playing and playing for a few hundred hours. I wasn't addicted, and I've never been in it for bonus whoring and grinding out winnings. I reckoned I'd have more fun if I spent that time on new games and other things. At first, I had my Animal Crossing obsession to fill the space, now I'm looking for new things to do.

A prize? Surely Season 3's winner is getting the ceremonial cufflinks as sported by Thush and ThreeB's? I funded the first set and Billy did the next ones, perhaps a regular winner can volunteer to sponsor bazclef's set this season?

The live poker games, the rllmuk online games, and the poker folder have all been great, and I've made some good friends and have plenty of happy memories of the games.

See you!

I like the idea of having games of Omaha and Draw, but I'd prefer if they were seperate to the weekly league game tbh, as I agree with Billy that they may put people off joining in.

I like the idea of a flatter payout structure too, and if we can all agree on a suitable regular night, I'd be up for that (for the coming season I should have both Monday and Tuesday free more regularly than I did this time). The one thing I don't like is the idea of an 8pm start, as often on the games I was able to make I would only be getting into the house about 10 minutes before the game started anyway (although obviously if it suits everyone else I would just have to hurry my ass up ;) )

The lack of obs chat is the only thing I dislike about PokerRoom, so we should definetly sort something out to counter that, like setting up an IRC chatroom, or an MSN conversation etc.

I also felt that some of the game dates were announced at quite short notice this season, making it harder for me to try to organise to be free for them...If we don't switch to a regular night, it'd be good to plan the games about a week ahead if thats at all possible.

Like ThreeB's and Baz, I'm more than happy to help with the game organisation this season, so if anyone's on a break or anything,let me know :ph34r:

Finally, I'd like to offer a big 'thank you' to Billy Brown for organising this season, a huge 'congratulations' to Baz for winning the league (sorry I've not been around for a few days to post in the proper topic), and a gigantonormous 'well played, cheers buddy!' to everyone who's taken part this season and made the games as challenging and fun to play as always :P

The one thing I don't like is the idea of an 8pm start

9pm FTW!

setting up an IRC chatroom, or an MSN conversation etc.

MSN is too problematic, maybe we could find a simple browser based password protectable IRC room we could use? The pokerstars software offers full spectator chat in games too, might be better for us.

it'd be good to plan the games about a week ahead if thats at all possible.

I think it'd be best for all votes for the day of choice to be in by saturday night, with Billy telling us all which day has been chosen on the Sunday? Should be enough notice.

a huge 'congratulations' to Baz for winning the league

Cheers! :ph34r:

I think a different prize for the winner could be a silver dollar that the player could use in real games (to put on their active cards instead of a regular chip). Maybe one of our Stateside cousins could bring some over next time they visit?

Regarding the Rllmuk games, I think the move from UB had to be done because of the poor service. I've played PR before, but only for play money. I like the interface there, but the absence of final table chat is a problem.

Personally, I stopped playing because I wasn't enjoying losing all the time (I'm a particularly bad loser). In fact, as of tonight, I'm withdrawing all my money at online sites and pretty much stopping playing online for real money. I've got 10 USD at PR still, so I might join you for a final fling this week.

I think a different prize for the winner could be a silver dollar that the player could use in real games (to put on their active cards instead of a regular chip). Maybe one of our Stateside cousins could bring some over next time they visit?

Nice idea. A customized "Rllmuk Classic Season x Champion" engraved card guard would be coooooool.

• 1 month later...

OK, we've had a good old break now. Is there still demand for Rllmuk Poker Season 4: The Rebirth?

Let me know if so, and we'll get to organising something. I really like the idea of having prizes for the top three at the end of the season. Maybe if everyone who thinks they're likely to play regularly chips in a bit of cash at the start of the season for a prize fund, people will be more likely to play most weeks? Here's hoping people are still up for it.

Returning players:

Billy Brown

bazclef

SuperNashwan

ThreeBs

sithlordx

davweb

Jonamok

popseen

baldiboy8 (?)

U-1

Stifler

simonav

pompey88

michael

Fondue

Dazza

Hell yeah, I've missed you guys. Sick of playing with total Yankers.

When do we start?

Soon, hopefully. Although starting back up during the World Cup may be a mistake I guess if we're looking for maximum numbers. What do people think?

If anyone has any strong ideas about how the structure should change, get posting. I guess the most important thing to begin with is: are you happy to play at PokerRoom again and use IRC/MSN for chat, or do we need to find a new alternative?

I am very happy to play, and was wondering when this would appear :-)

However, I am very, very reluctant to play at pokerroom. I have had nothing but problems with tables closing, slow connections etc, so much so that I cashed out my initial deposit and spanked away the profit!

May be able to play - will depend on regular date and time etc. I'll keep looking for further information.

Maybe if you post here what your preferred night / time would be, we can try and tailor the games to that as much as possible? We want to keep as many players happy as possible, so the same goes for popseen above – if PokerRoom's a no-go, we'll look to see if there's a suitable alternative if others are happy to move sites again.

I don't care we play. It only takes 5 minutes to sign up somewhere new and the affiliate sign up bonus either funds the forum or fills up our season prize fund.

I wasn't a big fan of Poker Room but I prefered it to UB to be honest.

I wasn't a big fan of Poker Room but I prefered it to UB to be honest.

The overwhelming advantage of PokerRoom was that it was so simple to set up the games – a world away from our experience with UB. I found the interface fine, but if it's causing problems for players, then that's no good.

Of course, the lack observer chat was also a big downer. However, I'm not sure which other sites allow private tournaments (and importantly, ones that aren't a huge hassle to set up). We'll have to look into it.

I vote 9pm on Wednesdays as a set time... and that we use Pokerstars cos they rule.

I'm happy to go with a set time for this season. As for PokerStars, do you know anything about their private tournament arrangements?

Incidentally, did you finish ITM in the freeroll the other night? I was playing for ThreeBs as he couldn't make it – managed to shit out in 71st though. I watched for a while longer and you were in a very strong position by that point. Did you manage to go on and make some decent money? I'm signing up soon, and hope to join you in these from next month.

Incidentally, did you finish ITM in the freeroll the other night? I was playing for ThreeBs as he couldn't make it – managed to shit out in 71st though. I watched for a while longer and you were in a very strong position by that point. Did you manage to go on and make some decent money? I'm signing up soon, and hope to join you in these from next month.

I've emailed pokerstars, i'll paste the reply when I get it.

As for the PP freeroll, it was a horror story for me.

Played my absolute A game the whole way, was extremely happy with it. Got to the last 11, I'm in 3rd place, make a tricky raise from the button with KK, then Big Blind pushes his whole stack at me (he's 2nd and just has me covered). Obviously I call, he flips KT and I have him completely dominated 85% to go on to the final table as a big chip leader. He catches a T on the flop, then a T on the river.

Took me 2 days to get over it. 11th was ITM yea, but if not for that ridiculous hand I would have most likely finished top 3 for a few grand. I've finished 11th in that tourney 3 times out of 5. I just can't get on the final table, unbelievable. :(

I'm definetely up for playing another season.

I honestly don't mind where we play, and I'm happy for the game to be at a set time each week (as long as its early in the week...Monday or Tuesdays are best for me, and I can make every second Wednesday usually).