IGNORED

Navy NCIS

Locky

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, fairly major cast member spoiler (it's all over the net but just in case):

Ziva is leaving.

I enjoyed NCIS in the early days but have largely given out now since it has grown increasingly stale and safe in it's plots. I think a few years ago they blew up the headquarters at the end of the season which may have at least got us a nice new set, but no by the next episode it was *exactly* like it was before. Anyway, my point is that they have been dangling Ziva and Tony in front of us for years now and with Ziva leaving it's never going to happen. I think if the show had taken a few risks and put them together a few years ago it would have freshened it up so it is a bit disappointing they never took any major steps with that. Even so, if she hadn't left we'd probably have had another year of a hand hold being the high point so perhaps this change will give it a nice shake up.

I remember all the fuss about Sasha Alexander leaving and that ended up working out pretty well so I'll see how it pans out. Even so, NCIS must be nearing the end of it's life and it would be nice if they started to take a few more risks with the show. In the early seasons, when it wasn't a mega hit we did have a few more interesting season arcs, now since it's such a hit it's very very safe. Each episode has such a familiar plot structure that it reminds me of when South Park took the piss out of Family Guy for how they create episodes.

So, if anything, this might give the show a much needed injection of excitement. Really though, they just need some proper character development. You could show me an episode from last season and an episode from season 6 and I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Castle and Bones have both shown that you can make changes to the dynamic and the show will keep going.

I've been watching these in order recently, only up to the end of season 1 so I'm not reading that. I know what happens to Kate, someone spoiled that for me. Generally I'm all for this sort of production-line crime drama: NCIS, CSIs, Criminal Minds etc. They're well-made, have some good twisty plots and are simply great to sit down and enjoy for a couple of hours. I have the first 8 seasons of NCIS here and am glad it's still going.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone still watching this? Up to the last episode of season 5 and still enjoying it. Definitely one of those shows where, if you like the ensemble cast, you just feel at home with it.

Not even got around to LA or New Orleans yet.

It's great to see 82 year-old David Macallum still in it and, although not as spritely, still doing a great job as Ducky. Not sure how long he'll keep it going.

not since we stopped with the torrents. Not even sure where we got up to.

[edit] S12E10, just before xmas 2014, by the looks of it

Season 13 sounds like a doozy, with another spoiler-rific announcment re: the cast, popping up on facebook...

Edited by SeanR

I don't want to know any cast spoilers, certainly not whilst I'm about to start season 6. All I know is there's some blonde woman in it now instead of Ziva.

Generally what other procedural crime shows are there at the moment? All but the Cyber strand of CSI have finished (I'm alone here in actually enjoying CSI, even if it isn't as funny or warm), Hawaii Five-0, what else?

I don't want to know any cast spoilers, certainly not whilst I'm about to start season 6. All I know is there's some blonde woman in it now instead of Ziva.

Generally what other procedural crime shows are there at the moment? All but the Cyber strand of CSI have finished (I'm alone here in actually enjoying CSI, even if it isn't as funny or warm), Hawaii Five-0, what else?

Scandal, I shit you not.

Worrabout Elementary?

I think the problem is that there's no variety in any of the episodes, the structure is the same all the time. I saw a load of random episodes before Christmas and couldn't tell at all that they were jumping across seasons which just shows how bland they all become. Same as with Castle, where I gave up after season 4 I think, because the tired-old formula of 'find body, question the wrong person, eureka moment, WIN' got quite draining.

I suppose that there are some shows you can happily binge on whereas some (i.e. most procedural types) are best watched weekly, to avoid fatigue.

What appeals to me about NCIS is it does feel familiar, spending time with a group of characters I like. There may not be a great deal of variety week to week but there's just enough difference to keep my attention. It's a TV comfort blanket, or a pair of slippers. And as I get older this sort of thing feels good, it's reliable.

Watched the season 5 finale. All set for season 6 now.

Will try some of these suggestions. I think Castle is on Netflix. Never heard of Bosch but I see it about now. Elementary, yep will try that.

• 7 months later...