Super Mario Revolution

E3 is 5 weeks away. Nintendo haven't shown any footage of their own next-gen games. Mario has always been there to lead the way, and certainly 3 times out of 4(NES/SNES/N64) the games have been great and praised by all.

Now I don't expect something to be as change-worthy as Mario 64. On the otherhand, why rule out the possibility? Perhaps the Revolution controller works perfectly for Mario in a way we haven't imagined yet. Perhaps Mario will change/improve gaming once more.

On the otherhand of course, you can be cynical. How would a Mario game work with the Rev controller exactly? If you make it 2D and plain, fans will boo. 3D mario wouldn't work with "swishes" of the controller. So how can we get a platformer to work?

Ontop of this fact Nintendo have whored out Mario so much this generation that I'm slightly sick of seeing the Mushroom Kingdom. This Mario would have to feel as fresh and good as those of old.

I'd hope we'll get something like the void levels of Mario Sunshine. 3D, control Mario with the attactable joystick, jump by swishing the controller up and down. punch with A, swish up + A for a butt stomp.

It would also be nice to see a more traditional Mario with themed levels. Lava/Ice/Castle etc.

Perhaps make Yoshi ridable again? But not make him so fiddly? (not to mention not to die at the very sight of water).

Let's hope Mario leads the way onto Revolution.

i cant see it being very good...with THAT controller.

I would like Rev Mario to play like a 2D Mario World, but use all the Rev horsepower to do some amazingly ace effects and level designs (Like how Yoshis Island used the SFX chip)

you're making me cry :)

everything nintendo does these days excites me. sure, the 360 and PS3 are "exciting", i mean its great watching more realistic blood splats, higher poly characters etc. etc., but the DS and Rev are just pure "exciting" sort of exciting. I hope E3 this year isn't a disappointment. i've never been so excited.

did i mention i'm excited?

I would like Rev Mario to play like a 2D Mario World, but use all the Rev horsepower to do some amazingly ace effects and level designs (Like how Yoshis Island used the SFX chip)

Yes please, but I suspect we will have to make do with the ds game

If you make it 2D and plain, fans will boo.

I wouldn't boo. Having played 4 Swords GC recently, I think there's a scope for a beautifully modern-looking 2D game using the horsepower of today.

Don't think it's going to happen though. And then they'd probably use 3D models like Mario DS anyway.

I would fucking boo for a 2D game. 2D's great and everything, but considering we're already getting a new 2D mario platformer, I want a proper, actual, factual sequel to Mario 64.

Mario World > SM64

If it doesn't use the controller to make it all gimmicky and ruin the franchise forever then my name's "sceptical idiot". But seriously, I think most controller ideas people have had for Mario would probably be really odd and naff in reality. It'd be nice if the developers were sensible, and limited controller use to, say, nicer camera control, but if they link it to Mario it'll be all weird...unless they take Mario into an entirely different (i.e. not a platformer) direction, in which case it might work...but people will be upset because it's not a platformer. Maybe. :rolleyes:

In fact, if the Revolution's supposed to be revolutionary, chances are Mario won't be able to be pigeonholed into a genre.

While MW is indeed '>' M64... I'd like a MW + M64 game.

A 3D environment but with an artstyle inspired by MW, nice and busy and a bit more abstract than the mario games have been lately.

I'm *am* expecting big change with this game.

Mario 64 opened the worlds eyes to how to do a proper analogue controlled 3d 3rd person game.

Mario for the Rev will show people just how awesome the new controller can be. I suspect it'll do stuff that will make us smack our forehead with cries of "that's so obvious". At the same time, I suspect it'll make a 3D mario game so accesible that your mum can perform double wall jumps in a tricky void level.

Maybe that's too much to expect... but it is what I expect.

Perhaps make Yoshi ridable again? But not make him so fiddly? (not to mention not to die at the very sight of water).

You could hold the controller side-on and use it like a rein. Bounce it up and down to make Yoshi run forwards. Jerk it backwards to bring him to a stop. And you'd still be able to use the d-pad and 2 buttons. :rolleyes:

Camera stick.

That's all you'd need it for. Fact is, you can already move Mario on the analogue stick and he can jump on A, punch on B and duck with Z.

But the one thing that always annoyed me about the 3D Mario games was having to take myself out of the action to manipulate the camera every time it got stuck. But if you were always holding an analogue camera that you could move up and down, left and right, zoom in and out and turn, all via small wrist movements, that'd be absolutely perfect.

For a game like Mario, it's best not to think too far out the box IMO.

I for one hope it doesn't use the nunchuck. If all Rev games use the analogue stick for moving it will be very... underwhelming.

I think that since the new Mario game is almost certainly going to be the flagship title for the rev, I doubt it'll use anything more than the rev controller.

It's the game that birthed the controller in the first place, come to think of it.

"Mario 128 will use a revolutionary thing we're afraid everyone will steal." + "The GC's life will be extended by amazing peripherals" = "The Revolution will use a revolutionary controller we're afraid everyone will steal"

With just the controller itself I seriously can't imagine Mario working, well you could try...

Turn controller sideways, D-pad and erm...2 buttons. Though I guess you could make jump "swish" only and not a button. Of course this would only work for 2D as well.

The game that will most probably use "just" the controller (that we're familer with)will be WarioWare, everyone knows it's utterly perfect for the series.

On a similer note Sonic Team confirmed a Revolution-only Sonic. Imagining Sonic work well makes my head hurt.

People are underestimating the tilt functionality of the RevCon. You will literally tip the controller forward to get Mario up toi running speed and just flick it up at the angle you want to perform wild jumps and stunts. Simple as that. Pull controller back to skid to a half. Press the A button to pick up an item, B trigger for something else and so on and so forth.

Yes, that. That's why I don't want to see many games using the analogue stick for movement. We've finally got a control system which involves the tilting part of human locomotion.

Nah, man. Mario games are like thumb gymnastics. With a lifetime of experience in playing Mario games, I'd probably be more confident in controlling him with my thumbs, rather than waving around a remote control.