IGNORED

Tomb Raider Legend

garuneku

Bit late to the party with this 'un but I have to say I haven't been this much in awe of a Tomb Raider game since the first one on the Playstation back in the day.

The whole thing is just such a wonderful and playable package. The scenery, the ambient sounds and Lara's "proper" analogue movement make me cry for time when this type of game was all new.

Thanks Toby Gard, you have restored my faith in those ample Double D's.

Replayability, for one. Upon completing it, I went straight back to the start and attempted the time trials. I don't actually recall the last game which I found as compelling as that, but then perhaps I'm merely a die-hard Tomb Raider fan who hasn't heard of the N64.

edit - just had another read. As skipped the first few Tomb Raiders, his comment on inventory management is a trifle daft. I can only assume his lengthy diatribe about the suspension of belief was born of wanting to pad out an otherwise unobjective view of the game. Still, well done for maintaining your vitrolic image, Stu.

As a parting shot, for someone who berates others so readily for their command of English, his is sorely lacking in many places.

No it doesn't. I haven't played the game but his arguments seem perfectly reasonable. Which points weren't valid?

Okay, okay. It's just he didn't effectively tear it apart for me, because I like the game.

But briefly, he basically says that the game's worst crime is its lazy treatment of the player's suspension of disbelief. For example Lara comes across a jaguar (the big cat, I mean) in a temple which is supposedly occupied by some enemy forces. He has a problem with the jaguar because apparently it should have run off scared of all the humans by now. He also has a problem with the fact that the jaguar takes 20 shots to kill. This seems very odd to me. If I came across a jaguar in real life and shot it twenty times with my two pistols, I'd be surprised if it didn't die, or just run off. But why is that a problem in a videogame? It certainly wasn't to me, and I hadn't even noticed this until I read his review (I was too busy enjoying all the platforming action, controlling Lara, and the gorgeous and atmospheric scenery...). For me the jaguar looked gorgeous and was quite a thrilling and momentarily scary surprise in the game.

He then gets in a tizz about some other unrealistic stuff, for example a helicopter gunship that destroys a bridge you're running across. But none of this goes any way towards showing how the game is broken or frustrating in some way, it just sounds like a loony's personal gripes.

As if more proof were needed, he then goes on to complain about the lack of real world physics in a cutscene! A cutscene - which of course you're not even 'playing'. You're just watching. It's like complaining about the fighting in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon because it's unrealistic. It's a bit perverse.

He does try to make some more reasonable complaints, for example that the motorbike sections are a bit crap and that the enemy AI is very stupid. These are fair enough, but they are in no way game breaking faults (I guess I have to say that's all IMO, though).

Oh and then he gets sillly again and starts complaining about how unrealistic it is that Lara can only carry 4 grenades, but can carry any number of Incan artefacts. I give up thinking about what he has to say at that point...

I played the demo of this from the Marketplace last night. I enjoyed it but the camera still annoyed me most of the time, is it any better in the full game?

The combat was pointless as well, it was either 'lock-on and charge' or nothing. When using the aiming mode the bullets seem to go no where near where you're aiming. I haven't properly played a Tomb Raider game since the PS1 and from what I remember the combat wasn't one of the main points of the game, I assume that's also true of this...? I hope.

Tomb Raider Legend maybe better than previous iterations but it falls a long way short of classic status. a 'return to form' is pretty useless considering how old the original (and best) game is. it has since been overshadowed by many other titles; Prince Of Persia The Sands Of Time remaining the defining platform adventure game this generation. Lara just completely lacks the grace and fluidity of the Prince. 'Legend' is ok because it plays it safe, but the best it can hope for is a mildly entertaining diversion.

Stu Campbell just tore this apart:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/tr7/tomb.htm

Christ, he really has lost the plot. I was going to read the article to see what criticisms he has of the game but after the first couple of sentences I don't think I'd be able to take it.

He links to an archive of screenshots saying that out of the 300 or whatever pictures on the site, only 7 are in-game. So it came as quite a surprise to me when I clicked the link that all 12 screens on the first page appeared to be clearly in-game.

He links to an archive of screenshots saying that out of the 300 or whatever pictures on the site, only 7 are in-game. So it came as quite a surprise to me when I clicked the link that all 12 screens on the first page appeared to be clearly in-game.

I wondered about that. I figured maybe he reviewed it on an Xbox or PS2, and just didn't know that there's a 360 version...

This reporter's never bothered much with the Tomb Raider series of games.

Well, I shall expect a wholly objective viewpoint from now on.

Also, he really needs to do a GCSE in physics doesn't he?

Never mind the fact that the instant her feet left the roof, what would actually happen would be that gravity and physics would catapult her backwards like a Wile E Coyote contraption, at an effective reverse speed of 50 mph

:( yeah that's right Stu.

EDIT: Wait, gravity? Even more :huh: then.

I've never been a big fan of Stuart Campbell (although I enjoy his rants sometimes), but this review is definitely a new low. The moron's first example with the leopard jumping out of nowhere is even factually wrong. He mentions the two guys sneaking into the temple have survived the spikes and the leopards, but Lara even makes a wise-ass remark when she walks in that the guys died like amateurs.

I'm a big fan of Campbell. Really like his stuff.

That review is piss, though.

Well, I shall expect a wholly objective viewpoint from now on.

Oh please, that remark has no bearing on whether he enjoyed TRL. Hell, I think all the Tomb Raider games are utter horseshit, and I like this one.

.::: Oh, for crying out loud. I may not like the water, but Tomb Raider Legend is a fine game by any measure.

As for disbelief, was his precious Super Mario 64 scientifically approved? I think Goomba's should have been squashed differently purely based upon the weight of an average Italian plumber. Now if that disbelief was actively making the game play bad, he's got a point. But it doesn't, so he's just itching for a bitching.

No it doesn't. I haven't played the game but his arguments seem perfectly reasonable. Which points weren't valid?

I think the various replies here answer your question, to some extent.

Still, a good diatribe every now and again ensures your stay in the limelight.