IGNORED

Tomb Raider Legend

garuneku

It's got underground swimming sections, for Christ's sake.

Care to elaborate on why that is so inherently bad? No? Fair enough.

I like how Stu goes on to openly insult all videogame developers AND REVIEWERS, except himself of course.

Unfortunately, videogame developers are mostly socially-dysfunctional sci-fi nerds (as, to be fair, are most videogame journalists, which is why hackneyed, pseudo-interactive crap like this so often gets an easy ride in reviews).

So in real life Lara's kinetic energy magically disappears the moment her feet leave the lorry? Or have I missed something?

What are on about? I use this all the time to get to the back of the bus. Make sure you're the last person getting on, wait until the bus starts moving and jump straight up.

Just don't wait until it's doing 60 on the motorway unless you want a face full of window.

What are on about? I use this all the time to get to the back of the bus. Make sure you're the last person getting on, wait until the bus starts moving and jump straight up.

Just don't wait until it's doing 60 on the motorway unless you want a face full of window.

:P If only this was true, it would be rather cool at times.

Completed it there, 9 and a half hours, longer than most it would seem.

Really enjoyed it, it'd probably be quicker just to name the stuff I didn't like. So um, certain trial and error aspects and the England level.

I also redid the first level, took me 15 minutes, and that was with quite a hefty fall at one point and doing all the gunfights. Will try the time trial later.

I'm surprised that some people complained at the overuse of combat, I can only assume they have only played the first game, tomb raider 2 was pretty much nothing but combat, this game is barren of mammals compared to it. Especially the later stages (which I was impressed with as it's all to easy just to put bad guys everywhere to increase difficulty/ add longevity).

The end wielding excalibur and Lara turning psycho were brilliant

I managed to complete it on normal in just under 8 hours and 91% complete on the game save. Overall I enjoyed it with the exception of the motorbike sections. Didnt get on with them at all.

The worst part of the game for me was that stupid $%^& fish boss. I got way too annoyed and angry and ended up giving the pad a damn slap, only to manage to cut my knuckle on the analogue stick. I havent been that frustrated with a game since I was about 15. So its good to know 11 years later I can still lose my temper at them :D

Im really looking forward to the sequel. I just hope they tighten up the combat, fix the camera issues and increase the length of the game. 8/10 for me.

The worst part of the game for me was that stupid $%^& fish boss. I got way too annoyed and angry and ended up giving the pad a damn slap, only to manage to cut my knuckle on the analogue stick. I havent been that frustrated with a game since I was about 15. So its good to know 11 years later I can still lose my temper at them :D

The thing that annoyed me with that boss is, that it's obvious what to do, but the visual cue (you know the one) comes too early. Which made for some fuck ups on my part.

I'm about 44% through and you know what, damn fun it is too, i can see this being the first tomb raider i actually complete. Even though i enjoyed TR1 and 2, i never got very far into them, often because they required far too much trial and error, lots of redoing things over and over again thanks to the save systems and well yeah thats about it really.

I didnt really play the others except around friends houses and they were most definatly pretty crap, especially as it was most fighting people inside buildings and what not.

And while TR:L is a bit linear, its nice, you know where you are going, what you are doing and its enjoyable.

If i have any complaints so far its that lara doesnt like grabbing for ropes much and the camera, while giving you lots of control, needs to be moved every single second.

Im liking the levels though, while taking between 40 mins to an hour they dont feel that long and are very enjoyable.

Well done Crystal Dynamics, you have revived lara, her 7th game (isnt it) which sounds a bit long in the tooth is a brilliant revitalising of the series.

I never ever ever ever thought I'd find myself agreeing with Campbell on anything.

But he's right. The game is horseshit.

That people are lapping up this trite rubbish (and that Edge is encouraging them to do so) makes me just a little depressed.

I never ever ever ever thought I'd find myself agreeing with Campbell on anything.

That people are lapping up this trite rubbish (and that Edge is encouraging them to do so) makes me just a little depressed.

You are on crack.

Seriously, you are on crack.

For the record, I don't like Ouendan, either. Can't find the fun in rhythm action.

Oh come on, the golds must have got you thinking atleast a little bit?

Only the one on Kazakhstan.

No, that's a lie - it took me a while to find the Nepal one, too. I struggled with ones that were hidden around corners - it was finding the Nepal one that gave me more of an idea of where to look for the Kazakhstan one, actually.

Being serious now, I genuinely don't understand how people are having such problems with the game. I killed every boss on my first time meeting them (yes, including the big snake thing), and walked through every gunfight without problems. All my deaths came from fucking up jumps, with the occasion QTE death thrown in for good measure.

Enjoyed all the puzzles - more of that would have been nice. Two large-scale puzzles per level would have suited me down to the ground.

But then, I was born to play platform games. Born for it, I say.

^ Ok that makes a little more sense now. You see not everybody was born to play platformers. The only platfrom games I have ever played to completition and really enjoyed are TR 1 & 2, Mario 64, Flashback and Another World pretty much. Everything else bores me after a while and I just can't find fun in platform action.

The TRL time trials for me are the perfect difficulty. Each one is taking me three to five attempts and every time I get closer to my goal. I have 31 hours on the clock now with one time trial to complete and a couple of levels to do on hard. Ok my friend was playing for a while a couple of days back so you can probably take a couple of hours off this but still, about 29 hours of play for me.

Does this make me crap at the game? Maybe.

Do I care? No.

Do I feel like I have got good value for money? Fuck yes.

I certainly agree with you on the puzzles though, plenty more of these in the next one please.

And yet I, and I'm sure many others here, where enjoying it before there were any reviews to encourage us. :(

Being serious now, I genuinely don't understand how people are having such problems with the game. I killed every boss on my first time meeting them (yes, including the big snake thing), and walked through every gunfight without problems. All my deaths came from fucking up jumps, with the occasion QTE death thrown in for good measure.

Ah, he's been playing it on Easy. :)

Apologies if this has been mentioned, I couldn't see it in the last few pages but is there ANY way to turn off the hints that pop up every five fucking seconds telling me what buttons to press.

I've just finished Tokyo on hard mode and still I'm getting "press square to grapple".... fuck's sake, I KNOW!!

I wondered this too.

It even tells you in the time trials after you have played the game all the way through, so I think they are there for good.

My biggest gripe with the game tbh. Yes, even more so than the lame motorcycle bits.

If you like platform games then this is a little beauty. I spent 1&1/2 hours last night just titting about in croft mansion, loving it. Do you really think everyone here is enjoying it because Edge told them it's ok to do so? Don't be a prick! Go and trade it in for something you like instead!

And yet I, and I'm sure many others here, where enjoying it before there were any reviews to encourage us. :huh:

Ah, he's been playing it on Easy. :o

Normal. Oddly, it's no harder on Hard mode. I think you just take more damage from bullets, but they never bloody hit you anyway.

BORN TO PLATFORM, BABY.

When I get the new Mario game, that'll be the last you hear from me.

Just completed it in 6 hours 86% complete. The special objects didnt really interest me as i was just after the story and the main game. Really well done, loved pretty much every minute of it and while short i enjoyed it all the more FOR it being short. Id have been bored if it had gone on for more than a couple of extra levels. Short and sweet, just the way i like my games.

Kudos to the CD team who did an excellent job of revialising the Tomb Raider franchise.

Still ive got some questions, have all the tomb raiders been a bit sci-fi ish, i know tomb raider two had a werid ending level with floating flatforms and the like, and if all the tomb raiders do, then why is this?

Also how does this story fit in with all the others and what is the actual story line for all the tomb raiders? Didnt lara 'die' in one of them at the end?

Well, I've done quite a lot in the Ghana level now.

This is just getting better and better. The levels are so focused - I like it more than PoP SoT.

Controlling Lara is a joy - the tapping y to mave along and up things quicker is genius.

Interesting comments. Whilst I think that Mr Campbell is being somewhat harsh, I really do think that he makes some valid points. Let's have a look at them, shall we ?

1. The Camera.........not the worst ever made, but surely I shouldn't have to suffer from any problems of this kind in 2006 ? Why does the view zoom in right next to Lara when she is close to a wall or door ? Why doesn't the camera turn smoothly to stay behind Lara when she is riding the motorbike on that Tokyo roof ? Haven't developers learned anything about camera control in third person games ?

2. The Jaguars.........animals with body armour :lol: Sorry, guys, but Stu is right about this one. It took me something like 15 bullets AT POINT BLANK RANGE to kill each jaguar. That's fucking stupid.

3. Bolivian Helicopter.........Yep, Stu is right again. Where did it go after Lara managed to get to the central platform ? Was it brew time for the pilots ?

4. Motorbike sequences..........they were shit, plain and simple.

5. Arcade sequences.........you know, those ones where the player has to hit the up/down/shake it all around key when prompted. Fun ? No, not really. Oh, and he was right about the sequence with that monster chasing Lara in the flashback level. What on Earth was that symbol of her with pistols supposed to mean, when the solution had fuck all to do with guns ?

6. Rule changes........yep, I know exactly what he means. I remember the end of the Peru level, where some guy was shooting at Anaya's jeep. Simple, I thought. I'll just run towards him, and shoot. I have plenty of bullets, and he's a sitting duck. So I fired. Grey targeting reticule. No hits. I moved closer (this was using the automatic rifle), and fired. No hits. After messing around for a couple of minutes, moving about, wasting all of my automatic rifle ammo, and starting on the twin pistols, I finally discover a location where I can get the targeting reticule to light up red. Moments later, he's dead.

Someone please explain to me why guns have to be used from particular geographical coordinates to be effective. Thanks.

He was also right that certain ropes and poles can't be grabbed from certain positions, even when they are RIGHT IN FRONT OF LARA, AND PRACTICALLY BEGGING TO BE GRABBED. That's just daft.

Mind you, the physics engine is quite nice, and the puzzles are the most enjoyable part of the game (although even they start to get boring after a while).

Someone please explain to me why guns have to be used from particular geographical coordinates to be effective. Thanks.

It's harder to shoot someone when they are further away.

The Bolivian helicopter criticisms are daft, I feel. It was just a wee cinematic escape run.

I agree about the diving guns icon, I thought it was a QTE at first and pressed fire. Got killed. I also agree about the ropes, if you jump straight up, she won't catch them, what gives?

Stu makes a lot of valid points, he just makes them in a bit of a dickish manner.

Sure, there are a few things about the game that are a little off- but they don't break it in any way. Any game could be criticised in a similar, cuntish, toothcomb manner.

I mean honestly, 'where did the chopper go?!'. Who gives a fuck? It's a game about an English bird with big tits and a magic sword- it's hardly Schindler's-fucking-List, is it?

Just finished it there at 91% "complete"

Overall yeah not bad. camera had me swearing like mad (especially at the start of the nepal level jumping on to the icicles) along with the targeting and that stupid QTE lara with guns icon :D

But yeah was the first tomb raider i have enjoyed since the first one.

EDIT:

Did anyone see what you get for completing it all (inc time trials)

Unlock the Soul Reaver ... Clear the game and complete all time trials.

hehe