IGNORED

Tomb Raider Legend

garuneku

Finally decided to download the demo today.

It might just be the demo version but that was a crap game. The camera was redicilous, I walked into a narrow area and I could see ANYTHING because the camera closed in on Laura making it virtually impossible to see where I was going or study the environment.

I had expected splintercell-ish camera controls, not this rubbish.

Sad thing is I really wanted to like this game, but at this point I cant imagine anyone in their right minds who would actually pay for something this bad.

The camera does get a little lost sometimes, that's true. But it is manually controlled with the right analogue stick, and is easily rescueable.

I'm getting used to this whole camera-manually-controlled-on-the-right-analogue-stick thing in 3rd person games. It's like this new amazing skill I have. So I don't really mind games that use it.

It does have Splinter Cell-ish camera controls.

How have I played this game for 15+ hours and had barely any problems with the camera? Is my copy special? Sometimes it gets in an awkward position, but you just swing it round with the right stick or press RB to centre it.

I redid Nepal this evening, short as it is, it's one of my favourite levels ever.

I'm very guilty of moaning about cameras in games, even as far as to say "Why even bother making 3D games when they can't get the camera right"*, but I never had a problem with the camera in this game

*lol

1. The Camera.........not the worst ever made, but surely I shouldn't have to suffer from any problems of this kind in 2006 ? Why does the view zoom in right next to Lara when she is close to a wall or door ?

Because if it didn't the camera would be passing behind the wall, and through obsticles, and the player would have no sense of the world beyond his point of view. Cameras need to have the same restrictions as the player, because if they didn't you'd end up trying to run towards yourself without realising a wall was blocking you.

I can grasp the other criticisms of the game, but the camera certainly isn't one them.

Sure, there are a few things about the game that are a little off- but they don't break it in any way. Any game could be criticised in a similar, cuntish, toothcomb manner.

Exactly what I was thinking, you could rip apart pretty much any film/game/book if you're going to be so bloody pedantic about it all. It may not be perfect, but hardly anything is, but as a piece of entertainent software it was successful and that was enough for me.

I redid Nepal this evening, short as it is, it's one of my favourite levels ever.

I'm very guilty of moaning about cameras in games, even as far as to say "Why even bother making 3D games when they can't get the camera right"*, but I never had a problem with the camera in this game

*lol

I like the England and Ghana levels, myself. England was full of good bits - the forklift sequence and the death-defying climb down the shaft being my favourites. Good boss, too.

How have I played this game for 15+ hours and had barely any problems with the camera? Is my copy special? Sometimes it gets in an awkward position, but you just swing it round with the right stick or press RB to centre it.

A zoom in/out key would have solved a lot of problems.

Because if it didn't the camera would be passing behind the wall, and through obsticles, and the player would have no sense of the world beyond his point of view. Cameras need to have the same restrictions as the player, because if they didn't you'd end up trying to run towards yourself without realising a wall was blocking you.

That's a fair enough point. It's just that the camera seemed to zoom in close to Lara at times when she wasn't standing next to a wall or object. There's no excuse for that.

I really wanted to like this game. I was hoping that it would be a triumphant return to greatness for Lara Croft. Whilst it isn't the complete disaster that Mr Campbell seems to be suggesting/ranting/screaming about, I do think that it could have been considerably better.

Oh, and that criticism of "underwater swimming sections" is an example of Stu completely losing the plot :lol:

I currently loving TRL, I'm a MASSIVE TR fan (I've got BOTH films on DVD and completed/enjoyed AOD) and this seems like a major return to form.

I do have a few issues with the Ghana level

1- The stupid Raiders style rolling ball bit which has one of the worst cameras I've ever seen in a videogame

2 - Its too dark! I'm playing 360 on a HD Tv, and its much worse than King Kong was on even a SD Tv.

Apart from that, there is very little to complain about. It makes me realise just how average AOD was. Edge are bang on with 8/10.

Oh, and as I was swimming while playing last night I pointed out to mrs sandman that the water looked REAL. I've never said that before.

Ghana is a considerable improvement over the previous three levels, with a reduced emphasis on combat, and more in the way of puzzle solving. Mind you, those "rule changes" that Stu mentioned keep rearing their ugly heads, and there are occasions when Lara doesn't seem to want to jump as fluidly as she usually does (not good when a rock is about to fall on your head) :lol:

Bolivia was OK as a starting level, but Peru was a mixed bag, and Japan really wasn't very good at all (far too much combat, and the boss fight was just plain boring).

I'd like to think that the overall quality of the game will be higher from now on, but we'll just have to wait and see.

The environmental reveal at the start of Ghana was pretty high on the wow factor.

Yeah, that was great. Also the opportunity to dive into the water.

I liked the England level's deep pit that you have to climb down also. It reminded me of some of the wow factor you got in that TR1 monastery level, when you climb down that massive hole.

The levels are really well designed because they're so flexible. Once you complete the game for the story and the wow factor of the environments, you can go back to the same levels for both the pleasure of searching every nook and cranny to figure out where all the tokens are hidden (emphasising the 'slow exploration' factor), and for the fun of trying to beat the time trials (for the 'mastering the control of Lara' factor).

Great stuff - really impressive replayability.

Re: The Gold relic in Kazakhstan:

I take it it's in the room with the Tesla machine thing then, the one where you're supposed to move the platform to the right to jump over?

To the right of the machine is four small boxes blocking a hole. I've taken these out and moved a box so I can grab onto the ledge on the hole, and I can climb around onto another platform. I'm I going the right way?

The levels are really well designed because they're so flexible. Once you complete the game for the story and the wow factor of the environments, you can go back to the same levels for both the pleasure of searching every nook and cranny to figure out where all the tokens are hidden (emphasising the 'slow exploration' factor), and for the fun of trying to beat the time trials (for the 'mastering the control of Lara' factor).

Replayability, and hidden items are two aspects that do not interest me whatsoever.

On a side note, Ghana finished with another piece of shit "boss" fight. Why do developers persist with crap like this ? It's so forced, and completely unnecessary in a Tomb Raider game.

100% finally. Woo!

How? What am I missing? I have every extra and all time trials done. Why does mine say 99%? :blink:

Re: The Gold relic in Kazakhstan:

I take it it's in the room with the Tesla machine thing then, the one where you're supposed to move the platform to the right to jump over?

To the right of the machine is four small boxes blocking a hole. I've taken these out and moved a box so I can grab onto the ledge on the hole, and I can climb around onto another platform. I'm I going the right way?

Yes, yes you are.

Phew, I finally worked it all out and got that darn gold relic! Now I need two more silver relics for the full 1000 Gamerpoints. I'm just steaming through Croft Manor now- it's the definition of relaxation gaming :blink:

I've had a few goes of the manor before but never really got anywhere- I'm on fire now though, I've found umpteen hidden doors and loads of relics. It's sad the game is slowly coming to an end for me ;) Roll on the sequel!

OR RATHER WAITING FOR THE FUCKING LOADING BETWEEN LEVELS/DEATHS TO FINISH!!!

:(

'tis fine on the PC. :D

Just completed this though (the main game, not 100% all relics etc). Very very enjoyable game, loved pretty much every minute of it. Most definitely a return to form and I'm looking forward to gathering everything up for 100% and the sequel. ;)