IGNORED

Tomb Raider Legend

garuneku

• 1 month later...

Agree about the ending. Felt like there was a third of the game missing.

Just finished this today. I thought I'd reached the half way point.

is there even a sequel confirmed? I know there's the remake of the original, but...

I got less than 10. that's why I wanted more, the levels hadn't even gotten challenging yet! I know TR games are generally short, but this one felt tiny. Meh, I'm probably just lost in nostalgia, I haven't played a TR game since the last one on the PSone.

EDIT: The croft mansion was brilliant though. I loved that.

I found it far more enjoyable, and replayable, than any other games in the series. I've never fully finished a TR game before this one. I enjoyed them, but the overly large levels became tiresome towards the end and I just gave up. The first one was always the best though, that had some cracking stages.

Games have moved on, TR:L is more streamlined as a result. It's just a fun game to blast through. There's less of that aimless wandering that has plagued the series and more Sands of Time-style action platforming. And the original TR games don't really hold up if you go back to them now I've found, they're far too slow and ploddy and the controls are simply awful.

It did leave me wanting more too, but only because it was so good. The length was perfect though.

The whole story in general was pretty awful though, I just skipped through it. Who needs a story ffs! :)

But if you do that, surely you miss out on listening to the delectable, gorgeous, dreamy voice of Keeley Hawes as Lara?

:)

Just finished this today. I thought I'd reached the half way point.

is there even a sequel confirmed? I know there's the remake of the original, but...

I think this new outing for TR did pretty well. So I reckon (and hope) that a sequel is forthcoming.

I found it far more enjoyable, and replayable, than any other games in the series. I've never fully finished a TR game before this one. I enjoyed them, but the overly large levels became tiresome towards the end and I just gave up. The first one was always the best though, that had some cracking stages.

Games have moved on, TR:L is more streamlined as a result. It's just a fun game to blast through. There's less of that aimless wandering that has plagued the series and more Sands of Time-style action platforming. And the original TR games don't really hold up if you go back to them now I've found, they're far too slow and ploddy and the controls are simply awful.

It did leave me wanting more too, but only because it was so good. The length was perfect though.

Oh, I'm not saying it was a bad game at all, that's why I want more! The save/checkpoint system is superb and, whilst the controls are still a tad fiddly, I'd agree that they're far far better than before. I love how pseudo-organic the environments are now as well, rather than having everything made from 1x1 blocks. The only real problem with it, that I had is that there wern't many puzzles, or not as many as I remember, the platformy bits do end up a bit samey by the end.

But if you do that, surely you miss out on listening to the delectable, gorgeous, dreamy voice of Keeley Hawes as Lara?

I think this new outing for TR did pretty well. So I reckon (and hope) that a sequel is forthcoming.

I have to agree, I thought Lara's voice acting was pretty great. Well, except when she tried to pull off sounding like an 'angry badass' - which is pretty difficult a posh accent to be fair.

The other characters' voice acting seemed to be pretty good overall, from what I heard of it (when my flatmate wasn't talking over it). Although Amanda sounded like lil from rugrats. (same VA?)

They even got most of the arthurian legend correct. :)

Good work, Crystal Dynamics

Oh, I'm not saying it was a bad game at all, that's why I want more! The save/checkpoint system is superb and, whilst the controls are still a tad fiddly, I'd agree that they're far far better than before. I love how pseudo-organic the environments are now as well, rather than having everything made from 1x1 blocks. The only real problem with it, that I had is that there wern't many puzzles, or not as many as I remember, the platformy bits do end up a bit samey by the end.

Yeah, that's true. There were some really good puzzles, but they were few and far between. Then again, they're always the parts that don't stand up too well when you play through a game again. I think TR:L was more of a game that you can play through more than once, whereas the originals were there for the single big plough-through, really.

I just love the stage in Nepal though. Absolutely gorgeous, and it has some great platforming sections! I still go back to it from time to time just to play that stage.

I don't think I watched one cut scene, but the actual gameplay was spot on - only a couple of points in the whole game where the camera hindered me, notably on the snow level when after the silver & gold icons.

Personally, i prefered the assault course sections to the puzzles.

I got this at a nice price for the GC (Gameplay £14.99). Always liked the original Tomb Raider but lost interest after the second one. I love these platform type games (a la Prince of Persia) and for it to be out on the GC was a nice suprise. Got the PAL version which runs beautifully in Progressive Scan via a chipped QOOB which was another nice bonus.

Didn't realise I could explore the mansion though, as I didn't realise 'X' opened the door :)

Finished this recently, was loving it until the very last bit, pretty jank.

Also, the story was all a bit rubbish, and the character design bar Lara was universally shite. However the bits where I was up on some mountain swinging about or solving some puzzle in a cave were bloody marvelous.

Here's hoping that the slightly more restrained story and characters of the original game, along with the great new fancy gameplay stuff will combine to make Anniversary pure magic.

restrained? did you play the last few levels with skinned centaurs and winged beasts? :) I know what you mean though, I remember the original had cut scenes every three or four levels as a 'treat'. When did it happen that videogames felt they need to bookend every level with plot exposition?

agree with you about the actual meat of the game in caves and temples, those bits were mostly a joy to play. Still, the combat wasn't very good in this - not that it ever has been - was it?

Thinking back to the first one ony my Saturn all those years ago makes me feel all warm inside. Ill never forget the wonder as Lara stepped into a small cave, the walls clad with skulls from top to bottom. The chorus music that kicked in was mystifying. The much later in the game as you climb up a huge pyramid only to come out in the top of a gigantic cavern with two huge egyptian statues that were miles high. The wonder of diving off and into a pool of water below. Happy times.

Still, the combat wasn't very good in this - not that it ever has been - was it?

Combat has never been TR's strong point, but I never thought it was supposed to be; when they tried to rely the fighting side of things (certain levels in TR2 with the grenade launcher spring to mind) it never turned out well.

More running round tombs and things please; which I think Legend covered rather well.

Thinking back to the first one ony my Saturn all those years ago makes me feel all warm inside. Ill never forget the wonder as Lara stepped into a small cave, the walls clad with skulls from top to bottom. The chorus music that kicked in was mystifying. The much later in the game as you climb up a huge pyramid only to come out in the top of a gigantic cavern with two huge egyptian statues that were miles high. The wonder of diving off and into a pool of water below. Happy times.

heheh me too...

It might be similar phenomenon to Zelda:OOT (rose tinted retro goggles etc.) but no TR since has captured that sort of magic and awe.

If there's one thing the new TR game lacked, it was this. The parts where you walk into a chamber or a level in the first game, the music kicks in and you just wander around and do a bit of puzzling... the atmosphere generated really made you feel as though you were the first person to walk around those rooms for a million years...

The lack of truly fiendish puzzles was also a sticking point for me, in all honesty, even though I loved the new one. The way you ran at full tilt across most levels really didn't do justice to the levels themselves, because you barely got a chance to see them and take them in.

:lol::) especially the part about playing this on the saturn! Thanks for reminding me about the music as well, what a magical touch that was. I forgot how epic the first one was as well.

Combat has never been TR's strong point, but I never thought it was supposed to be; when they tried to rely the fighting side of things (certain levels in TR2 with the grenade launcher spring to mind) it never turned out well.

More running round tombs and things please; which I think Legend covered rather well.

heheh me too...

It might be similar phenomenon to Zelda:OOT (rose tinted retro goggles etc.) but no TR since has captured that sort of magic and awe.

completely agree about that. TR2 was always my least favourite in the series.

...come out in the top of a gigantic cavern with two huge egyptian statues that were miles high. The wonder of diving off and into a pool of water below. Happy times.

That bit was awesome - the stand-out moment of the game for me. I hope they recreate it in superdupervision on Anniversary. It's a crime that it won't be coming out on 360 - anyone know why that is? Are they going to make a PS3 one instead or something?

I can't be bothered reading through the whole thread.. currently I only have a GC available, is it worth worth playing Tomb Raider on it? Is it cut down / enhanced in any way from the other versions?

Thanks.

It's not cut down or enhanced. It is great. And the controller works really well too, with the octagonal cutout.