They should spin off an entirely different series of Trek series and films from this. Then when it gets too confusing they can have a huge event called "Crisis in Infinite Treks" to meld the timelines together.

Then Batman appears out of nowhere and shoots Spock in the face.

I always thought the ship was controlled by the helmsmen inputting coordinates, desired speed and other mathematical data... and then the computer takes care of the flying, or in other words doing all the calculations and moving the ship.

The joystick is stoopid.

This. Space travel is a whole different beast.

Although they could argue that the computer's not quicker than the reactions of a human to pilot a starship in an emergency. :)

Anyway, he didn't even get a throttle and the joystick looked like one I bought for my Amiga years ago.

Warp 13's just Warp 9.999999999 whatever measured under the old system that didn't account for Warp 10 being infinite velocity.

Yeah I know. The official explanation is just that they changed the warp scale, but that doesn't fit with First Contact (where warp 1 was light-speed), or Enterprise. There's a whole bunch of stuff in TOS that doesn't mesh with the rest of Trek, all of which gets rightfully ignored outside of episode guides and the like.

Anyway, from everything we've seen in the trailers, it doesn't look like the characters themselves are being drastically changed in any way. Kirk's the biggest change, but it looks like the whole film's basically focussing on him becoming the person he was always supposed to be.

You say Kirk looks like he's changed. Can someone expand on this please? In a completely un bearding manner. I've only been exposed to Kirk from the movies and can't really see how you can guage that from this trailer.

You say Kirk looks like he's changed. Can someone expand on this please? In a completely un bearding manner. I've only been exposed to Kirk from the movies and can't really see how you can guage that from this trailer.

I think some people are basing this on the leaked plot details and the "Kirk was a great man but that's a different one" line in the trailer. Could also be the cockyness/bar fight and so on.

With respect to myself I'm not sure as the trailer isn't the best place to judge, but with the attitude of the producers being "we're changing things" it's a worry.

I think some people are basing this on the leaked plot details and the "Kirk was a great man but that's a different one" line in the trailer. Could also be the cockyness/bar fight and so on.

That line is surely referring to his father rather than an alternate timeline Kirk or anything like that. It mentioned in the trailer something about Kirk's father being captain of a ship for 12 minutes and saving 800 people, or something like that. As for a barfight, surely no change there. He wasn't averse to some fisticuffs.

That line is surely referring to his father rather than an alternate timeline Kirk or anything like that. It mentioned in the trailer something about Kirk's father being captain of a ship for 12 minutes and saving 800 people, or something like that. As for a barfight, surely no change there. He wasn't averse to some fisticuffs.

Nope. For a start that line is actually "James T. Kirk was a great man", and what's known about the plot seals the deal. Minor spoilers ahoy:

That angry Romulan guy travelled back through time to stop Kirk joining Starfleet, in order to stop him somehow ruining his life in the future. It seems he acomplished this by killing his dad, George Kirk, who would otherwise have brought Kirk up and pushed him into the fleet. In this reality, he was killed after captaining a starship for a mere 18 minutes, which left Kirk without a mentor. It looks like Pike eventually steps in to set him straight, possibly after a word from future Spock.

Quite right, didn't put enough detail in that answer. I meant that he's being portrayed as a wayward, streetwise punk of a kid with no care in the world or something. "Woah man! Lay off me dude!" etc.

Spent an afternoon discussing the finer points of Star Trek time travel (been a while since I've geeked out like that. Phew! I'm getting too old for this) and, after the extensive amounts of retconning and just plain ugly time travel stories, maybe the whole Etch-a-Sketch-End of the World thing is necessary.

Apparently the comics reveal some backbone to Abram's interference and, y'know, what the fuck? Why not? Trek's been on the slide since Voyager, DS9 screwed with the Trek 'verse significantly (if Paramount had the backbone, that might have presented an opportunity for positive change but that's just me saying) and near-enough unsalvageable thanks to the recent films.

Call me Optimistic.

Spent an afternoon discussing the finer points of Star Trek time travel (been a while since I've geeked out like that. Phew! I'm getting too old for this) and, after the extensive amounts of retconning and just plain ugly time travel stories, maybe the whole Etch-a-Sketch-End of the World thing is necessary.

Apparently the comics reveal some backbone to Abram's interference and, y'know, what the fuck? Why not? Trek's been on the slide since Voyager, DS9 screwed with the Trek 'verse significantly (if Paramount had the backbone, that might have presented an opportunity for positive change but that's just me saying) and near-enough unsalvageable thanks to the recent films.

Call me Optimistic.

?

There was when I watched it today. Must be down to the cinema.

When I saw it, there didn't seem to be any trailers attached to the film itself, just the ones which play with the ad reel. Transformers 2 and Angels & Demons.

For those enjoying the soundtrack to the latest trailer, it's actually library music: Freedom Fighters by Two Steps To Hell from the album Legend.

I've found the album it's supposed to be from but the track isn't on it. Can't seem to find anywhere to actually buy their albums online either.

Looks more like Star Wars. :);)

Funny you should say that:

"Star Wars was always full of action." Abrams explains "If I had one criticism of the original Star Trek, it’s that the show was often a lot of discussion about things that were happening and not a lot of action depicting it. That needed to change. So we looked at the ships, the feeling of battle and action and fights and all the stuff that makes a movie like this so exciting. It all needed to be done in a way that people had never seen before, and certainly never in a Star Trek movie."

http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/10/30/JJ-...New-Movie.shtml

“It’s controversial to even mention Star Wars and Star Trek in the same sentence, but Alex said, ‘We have to bring more Star Wars into Star Trek.’… Original Star Wars. I want to feel the space, I want to feel speed and I want to feel all the things that can become a little bit lost when Star Trek becomes very stately.”

http://www.filmjunk.com/2008/10/03/omg-jj-...d-by-star-wars/

It's fair enough though, it was only a budgetary constraint which forced them to have to talk about things happening rather than showing them anyway, I'm sure we'll see wobbly-camera-pretend-to-fall-over-whilst-barking-orders action too.