Wii

Beitel

• 2 weeks later...

This is a quote from the IGN preview of Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam :

The game will feature a four-player mode and Activision is attempting to "make everything that's available in the single-player mode available in the multiplayer one, too." We don't have details about the mode, but it will be four-player split-screen in nature. Gamers hoping for an online component, however, are in for bad news, because one isn't planned. Activision would not say why, but IGN has separately learned from multiple development sources that Nintendo will not release Wii Wi-Fi Connection libraries to third parties until early 2007, which means that no third party launch title will have an online mode.

Not sure how accurate IGN are but it does make sense in a way considering how quiet Nintendo are about online components to games. Is a dodgy Mario football game and Batallion Wars 2 the only online games we know about so far ? Wonder why they are holding back ?

This is a quote from the IGN preview of Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam :

Not sure how accurate IGN are but it does make sense in a way considering how quiet Nintendo are about online components to games. Is a dodgy Mario football game and Batallion Wars 2 the only online games we know about so far ? Wonder why they are holding back ?

.::: Didn't Microsoft hold back with Xbox Live originally as well? A whole year even. And how about the DS?

I think they want to get the Wii in place first without stressing developers even more. Then launch the online component seperately with a proper first wave of online titles.

The point is that Nintendo will be playing catchup. MS and Sony have had a headstart as the GC online was pitiful moreso than Sony who at least tried.

.::: Might be so, but I'd rather have them do it properly than hastily though. It's difficult to correct otherwise. That said, third parties might not be in on it, but maybe their own games are?

• 13 years later...

I lost the little 3.5mm to RCA adapter for my TV, so bought a cheap Wii HDMI adapter. Weird playing tennis on such a large screen, and there's terrible tearing in places. But it's a $7 dongle so whatever. 

I should probably just buy Mario Tennis for the Switch, but I wish there were more Wii type games like the baseball and stuff. Some of us, probably 5 people, like waggle. 

7 hours ago, TehStu said:

I lost the little 3.5mm to RCA adapter for my TV, so bought a cheap Wii HDMI adapter. Weird playing tennis on such a large screen, and there's terrible tearing in places. But it's a $7 dongle so whatever. 

I should probably just buy Mario Tennis for the Switch, but I wish there were more Wii type games like the baseball and stuff. Some of us, probably 5 people, like waggle. 

Love the Wii waggle and all.

If I'm honest it's probably my favourite system over the past 20 years. It was just so innovative and gave the industry a kick the somewhat distilled echos remain with the Switch. For me it's the essence of what console gaming is and always has been. Inclusiv, easy to pick up and fun. No other system has had the whole family playing together like the Wii has and continues to do so. And absolutely adored Zelda and Mario on it too so had me covered for console fun.

It's why the PC and Wii seem to be a great combo for me at the moment. Think I've actually hit gaming Nivana PC for the cutting edge tech end of gaming with VR etc. Wii for light gaming that is fun to pick up and play for a couple of hours with the family or on my own. It just makes me smile every time I play this little box. It's making memories with my family. That can only be a good thing. It is also showing my youngest there is more to gaming than Fortnite (F is banned in this house! He plays at his Mum's!) and gaming is social. 

Wii is my spark of joy with respect to gaming.