IGNORED

GTA 4 on Xbox 360 and PS3 simultaneously

Don Rosco

In a lot of ways it doesn't really matter how good an E3 Sony had (or will have) - they've still got the brand.

I used to think that way too.

Until the DS started hammering the PSP.

I think the brand's lost a lot of its status lately.

According to that Eurogamer article the PSP outsold the DS and GTA LCS is the best selling handheld game in Europe since Pokemon in 2000.

Eurogamer's a poof.

There's no way the Playstation name has the same status it had at the launch of PS2.

I used to think that way too.

Until the DS started hammering the PSP.

I think the brand's lost a lot of its status lately.

The handheld market's a different realm though, one which Sony thought they could just muscle-in on. They delivered a pretty confused product and have suffered with software from the start.

Doesn't mean that the same thing will just automatically occur in the home sector though, where a huge section of the market primarily wants to play the latest and best-looking version of Pro Evo/Tekken/Ridge Racer/whatever.

I'll be surprised if the Wii outsells the competition.

You'll be able to play GTAIV on two, probably graphically indistinguishable, platforms, but one will be half the price of the other.

And there-in lies the console war. Now all the 360 needs is a must-have exclusive...

Eurogamer's a poof.

There's no way the Playstation name has the same status it had at the launch of PS2.

I'm not so sure it's been wrecked that badly by E3 to be honest. A main reason for the PS2s and PS3s success is that they managed to tap the market that honestly don't care about all this pre release hype and just get it on the basis of games. The kind of people who buy Need for Speed installments. These people probally wouldn't even know what E3 is so sony has little reason to be overly worried by a bad games expo. Personally I think the 360 is in the most trouble as it was released at the worst possible time.

I'm not so sure it's been wrecked that badly by E3 to be honest. A main reason for the PS2s and PS3s success is that they managed to tap the market that honestly don't care about all this pre release hype and just get it on the basis of games. The kind of people who buy Need for Speed installments. These people probally wouldn't even know what E3 is so sony has little reason to be overly worried by a bad games expo. Personally I think the 360 is in the most trouble as it was released at the worst possible time.

The most wrong thing in the world ever. It launched at the most perfect time ever. What, you'd prefer it to launch at the end of the year at the same time as the PS3? What's the point? Getting in last Christmas was ideal, people were desperate for 360s, coverage in the media was immense compared to a mid-year release, and already has millions of sales under it's belt with a half-decent set of games and a great online service.

Ok lets see most of the 'casual's' favorite games will be out on the much cheaper Xbox 360 with the killer blow of them not having to buy a PS3 to play GTA anymore.

Gutted, I have made 'THE MOST WRONGEST POST ON THE FORUM EVAR LOLLOLOL'. Keeping my ear close to the ground in the metropolis of Penrith is that it's been released to early. Nobody really thinks graphics really need improving that much, and not many people are gonna pay £300 for this honour. No real killer apps, Morrowind is always gonna be for a niche market. Nintendo have got it right with the revolution by actually making games entertaining again.

Yay, it's a 360 pad with shit sticks!

They haven't gotten their arses in gear, no one has used the online service, it doesn't exist, it could be a pile of wank like it is on the PS2 - which they deemed a success. Lololol

Sorry I didn't realise the sticks are shit, although I didn't think anyone here had tried it yet. And I didn't realise it was a 360 pad, either? Strange. And surely it being like a 360 pad would be a good thing, they're bloody great. Yes the online service could be crap, but... umm. So could Mario Galaxy? I fail to see any point in what you're saying.

No real killer apps, Morrowind is always gonna be for a niche market.

1.7 million across two platforms in three weeks for Oblivion.

I suspect that many publishers are crying out for games that target niches like that.

;)

Well, well. Episodic content as well. BLOODY HELL.

Great so now I can spend £50 on a game and they're acting like its a good thing to expect me to pay more for things that were most likely developed the same time as the rest of the game.

Episodic content through digital distribution is all the rage these days. It's gonna be well common soon enough.

If it's exactly that... ie, episodes of a game released bit by bit for a small price then I think it's a good thing. Like how Sin is being released over Steam. Nice idea, even if the game looks crap.

But it seems this will be the full game and then side missions released through Marketplace. I don't see why they also won't be released like that through the PS3 online service, you never know.

Either way, I'm not fussed by it. The appeal of GTA for me is the sandbox gameplay, not the missions.

Sorry I didn't realise the sticks are shit, although I didn't think anyone here had tried it yet. And I didn't realise it was a 360 pad, either? Strange. And surely it being like a 360 pad would be a good thing, they're bloody great. Yes the online service could be crap, but... umm. So could Mario Galaxy? I fail to see any point in what you're saying.

Because it looks exactly the same as the other two controllers.

Mario Galaxy? What's that? The online service doesn't look anything other than what they're already offering. I'm surprised you're defending them so much.

Because it looks exactly the same as the other two controllers.

Mario Galaxy? What's that? The online service doesn't look anything other than what they're already offering. I'm surprised you're defending them so much.

But they've said they've improved the sticks. So hopefully they're better. The rest of the pad is fine if you ask me. I'm definitely not the only one who really likes the DualShock so personally I see no reason why it had to change much. The tilt-sensor feature works really well, too... according to some hands-on feedback.

And how is the online service no different to what they're already offering? They basically offered nothing on the PS2. But with the PS3 they're matching Xbox Live and plan a global friends list, voice and text messaging, video chat, rankings... as well as downloadable games, music, etc.

But they've said they've improved the sticks. So hopefully they're better. The rest of the pad is fine if you ask me. I'm definitely not the only one who really likes the DualShock so personally I see no reason why it had to change much. The tilt-sensor feature works really well, too... according to some hands-on feedback.

And how is the online service no different to what they're already offering? They basically offered nothing on the PS2. But with the PS3 they're matching Xbox Live and plan a global friends list, voice and text messaging, video chat, rankings... as well as downloadable games, music, etc.

And I'm not the only one that can't get along with it. So what about the tilt sensor? I really couldn't give a monkeys about their 'innovation'.

They said the PS2 was a success in the online domain, hardly promising if they're using that as their comparison. With the PS3 they're offering the exact same plan as the 360's Live.

Right, so instead of an online service like Xbox live, what should they do? Why do they need to do anything else? If it's not broke, etc.

Just because Sony have done nothing massively innovative with the PS3, doesn't make it a bad console.

What has the Xbox 360 done that's innovative? Nothing. But it's a great console.

And the PS3 doesn't just offer the same stuff as the Xbox 360.

Right, so instead of an online service like Xbox live, what should they do? Why do they need to do anything else? If it's not broke, etc.

Erm...

No, it's not good to fork out £400 on a machine that offers the same things as one you've already got.

-_-

And the PS3 doesn't just offer the same stuff as the Xbox 360.

Yeah, it does.

+ MGS4

- Halo

Simple as that. I'll be mightily angry when I'm handing over my £978,768 for my PS3 + MGS4, I tell you.