Super Mario Galaxy on the way for Wii

Don Rosco

120 stars get! First Mario I've ever properly completed, or even come close to properly completing. Was tempted to start playing it through again but decided not to. I think Galaxy is very much an 'experience' game, to the point where I'll probably leave it a long time before I touch it again. Even though it did get harder at the end, I never felt challenged in the same way I did during Sunshine. That's my biggest complaint though. Great game, totally deserving of a ten.

You're still missing a star. :D

The Gravity makes this game. We all know it. The level design is actually pretty simple, after a fashion...when you're on a small planetoid it seems like there's not much to see - how wrong are you!

The game is an awful time sink. I just wanna keep playing it...

I'm floundering a little at 107 now. My stumbling blocks seem to be

those bastard snow bunnies and that second garbage disposal star, where I always seem to run out of time 1-2 seconds before victory.

I'm finding it fairly tricky towards the end, but not frustratingly so - yet.

The difficulty of getting the full set feels about right - I'd guess it's a great non-wiimote breaking difficulty curve for some of the older hands, but the guy who bought it at work and isn't a platform guy (or much of a 'gamer' at all) is already struggling really early on. It does seem easier than 64, and certainly Sunshine, but getting the later stars seems more satisfying even than in 64 somehow. There's certainly more variety here.

The plant thing on one of the mini-planets doesn't like coconuts, if you're stuck at the same part I was until randomly figuring it out....

And there's a

secret star accessible

by

pounding the stump of wood which pops up and down on the same bit, leading to another launch star and a fairly straightforward star grab.

I think I've done that one. I'm on a level that has

a gun firing bullet bills in opposite directions, three cages containing a gold star (got on a previous try,) a rainbow star and some starbits. The gun is on a column that I can move up and down by bumming switches.

This is exactly like Mario 64 :D

I think I've done that one. I'm on a level that has

a gun firing bullet bills in opposite directions, three cages containing a gold star (got on a previous try,) a rainbow star and some starbits. The gun is on a column that I can move up and down by bumming switches.

This is exactly like Mario 64 :(

If you've got that star but the level is still showing as uncompleted, then you need to do the thing I mentioned before - On the planetoid just before the part you've just mentioned, there's a spiky plant thing and loads of coconuts - Spin a coconut into the plant and you'll get another launch star. There's no other way the level could be marked incomplete. The bit you're talking about, there's nothing more to do there - That's the level's 'secret' star, which you appear to already have.

If you've got that star but the level is still showing as uncompleted, then you need to do the thing I mentioned before - On the planetoid just before the part you've just mentioned, there's a spiky plant thing and loads of coconuts - Spin a coconut into the plant and you'll get another launch star. There's no other way the level could be marked incomplete. The bit you're talking about, there's nothing more to do there - That's the level's 'secret' star, which you appear to already have.

OK, will give it another try, thanks :(

I had no cash, i was supposed to wait one week more until i could buy the game. But then i saw

I had to trade in one of my DS. I do not regret it at all.

Not bad, but not enough close up Mario.

Looks like NCSX had a limited quantity of the OST from Club Nintendo:

http://mgrsti3030s.seamlesstech.biz/templa...;subFolderID=47

Sadly, all preorders are now closed. Looks like there were two versions of this - a 1 disc Gold edition (with just the orchestral music, I think) and the 2 disc Platinum version (containing the full soundtrack), which is what NCSX were selling.

As many have said this is turning into my favourite game of all time and may get me back seriously into playing games again. (really gone off them over the last few years).

TBH i'm not a very skilled player but with games this good I can keep going and have only been frustrated by one star so far

the trowing bombs to clear the rubbish

must have took me 15 attepts but got there in the end

Also the character design in this game is amazing I hope they bring out some models

i love the look of the eels underwater for example

. :(

Is it a good idea to refrain from completing this until i have cleared all the galaxies? I'm currently 83 stars in but not sure whether is should complete it.

Also as mentioned before my GF has been playing the 2nd player role with me... well this morning i found her getting a quick sneaky play of her own profile after she's just come off a night shift! this game is converting her! :(

Is it a good idea to refrain from completing this until i have cleared all the galaxies? I'm currently 83 stars in but not sure whether is should complete it.

Also as mentioned before my GF has been playing the 2nd player role with me... well this morning i found her getting a quick sneaky play of her own profile after she's just come off a night shift! this game is converting her! :(

I suspect it makes sod all difference. I "completed" it on 61 stars, and am now up to 74 or so.

I played the 2 player for the first time last night - and it's an excellent addition. It's how they've balanced the difficulty so well. For 'the casuals'... folks who are more likely to play together ANYWAY - the 2 player makes the game not only significantly easier, but, quite a lot of fun as well. Stunning enemies makes a huge difference, and helping with jumps as well means that some of the more difficult jumps that require jump'n'spin combos become possible for TEH CASUAL.

If this is Nintendo's approach to targeting the new audience then I'm all for it.

Damn you

Purple Coins on Gold Leaf Galaxy

. It's all easy peasy and then there is one jump, just after a

bee tells you that you should have 70 coins by now

which requires a wall jump off a cylinder which I find almost impossible to do with any kind of consistency. I managed it once but had spent so long faffing around I

got the last purple coin with a second to go and so not enough time to collect the star :(

Yeah that had me for a while but then I remembered MID's tip of backflip, spin, walljump to spin move - easy!

I completed (after beating Bowser spoiler)

Luigi's Purple Coins

last night. Took about 20 attempts. I even got the

star

to appear once but realised I had had to get back to that start and it was nigh on impossible!

Did it shortly after that.

Onwards now. I'd imagine that star is the hardest?

Blasted through the

Purple coins

last night, & got the magical 120. The challenge was just on right side of fustrating, & so satisfying to get it done.

Bit of a Dilemma now though, I want to play it over again, but should i do it as

Luigi? All those skills I've learned as Mario would probably let me have more fun in those beginning stages, but Luigi's more slidey controls, could add that extra bit of challenge

Choices, choices...