Super Mario Galaxy on the way for Wii

Don Rosco

My palms are sweating. Visions of a sweaty wavebird from years ago come flying back to me. I think I did that one, man some of those were bastard hard. Out of interest why does he have his water backpack thing in that level? Was it not a proper void level?

.::: That one was easy. The f*cking Yoshi-enabled floating leaves on acid though... Urgh.

I'm twentysomething stars into Galaxy now. It's a lot of fun so far. I have questions!

Question 1: Is there an easy way (that doesn't involve losing a life) to tell if you can safely walk off the edge of platforms? I've found that some let you walk around to the under-side, while you'll just walk off the edge of others and die.

Question 2: I stumbled into the library or something last night, and had to sit through a load of story stuff. I couldn't seem to find a way to skip it, so had to sit there pressing A for five minutes. Is there anything useful in there? Do I need to go in there again?

Question 3: What are the squishy shaped grey stars on the galaxy select screen (so a galaxy can have maybe 3 regular starts and a squished one)? Are they hidden stars or something?

Sorry if all of these have been answered already. I've been trying to avoid the whole thread for fear of spoilers.

I'm twentysomething stars into Galaxy now. It's a lot of fun so far. I have questions!

Question 1: Is there an easy way (that doesn't involve losing a life) to tell if you can safely walk off the edge of platforms? I've found that some let you walk around to the under-side, while you'll just walk off the edge of others and die.

Question 2: I stumbled into the library or something last night, and had to sit through a load of story stuff. I couldn't seem to find a way to skip it, so had to sit there pressing A for five minutes. Is there anything useful in there? Do I need to go in there again?

Question 3: What are the squishy shaped grey stars on the galaxy select screen (so a galaxy can have maybe 3 regular starts and a squished one)? Are they hidden stars or something?

Sorry if all of these have been answered already. I've been trying to avoid the whole thread for fear of spoilers.

1: Yes. Look for a big swooshy black hole. If you see one, you can fall off.

2: You don't have to. It's all a bit dull anyway.

3: They're the Comet Stars. There are usually a couple of those per level as well as another hidden one.

If there's a black hole nearby, you probably won't be able to change sides.

You don't need to go in there and once you've read a chapter you won't be forced to sit through it again.

Comet stars. You'll find out about them soon enough.

If you can see a black hole, you will fall into it.

Those are the stars obtained with the comets

I'd advise you to read it when you've got all the chapters. It's a simple story, but pretty touching. Nice music and art as well.

1. If there is a swirly black hole in view then you'll get sucked into it and die.

2. You can watch it if you want, but you don't need to.

3. Yep, hidden stars

- specifically comet stars. These involve a set challenge to recieve a new star, which will be either a purple coin challenge, a race against shadow Mario, a challenge to complete a level with all enemies sped up, and, erm something else I think...

I'm so glad they toned down the difficulty from Sunshine, I was worried I was going to have to abandon this one too. I doubt I'll get 120 stars but it's a truly great game.

While we're having Mario Galaxy Question Time, I've got one please!

One star in particular is giving me problems. It's a hungry luma planet, about the third accessed from the hub I'd say. You have to catch

rabbits in the snow on a cylinder and I can't do it! I can get one - I'm assuming you have to clear the snow away using the cursor - but after I've caught him I can never seem to find the other two.

What am I doing wrong?

The second one is in the chest - get a shell out of a snowman to break it with. After that, the third one just seemed to appear. I don't know if I accidentally triggered it or if it just pops up when you've done the first two.

That was a horrible star. One of only about three or four that I really hated. That's a pretty excellent tally compared to Sunshine, though.

The game doesn't always show you a black hole until it's too late though. They could have had other forms of warning as well.

I can't believe people are so 'meh' about the storybook. It's one of the most important steps forward that the game makes on the series. Fantastic music, too.

One star in particular is giving me problems. It's a hungry luma planet, about the third accessed from the hub I'd say. You have to catch

rabbits in the snow on a cylinder and I can't do it! I can get one - I'm assuming you have to clear the snow away using the cursor - but after I've caught him I can never seem to find the other two.

What am I doing wrong?

If you clear away the snow you'll uncover some blue tiles that change to yellow when you press them. Press them all and you'll reveal a fire flower. You can use that to melt the snowmen, and I think that revealed two bunnies. Another rabbit is in a chest that you can open with a shell

I can't believe people are so 'meh' about the storybook. It's one of the most important steps forward that the game makes on the series.

It's not though. It's just a tacked on little optional extra. It did nothing for me.

EDIT: It's great the kids are obviously loving it, though.

To people that have completed the game does any one know the maximum number of stars that are available before

facing bowser for the final time as you need to face him to get the purple coin challenges etc I belive?

Also one of the lumas in the hub level

that says it has a secret but wont tell me whats this about?

I can't believe people are so 'meh' about the storybook. It's one of the most important steps forward that the game makes on the series.

Really? I thought it utterly irrelevant and adds nothing to the game, I'd have much rather they just dropped it all together and spent the time on another galaxy.

To people that have completed the game does any one know the maximum number of stars that are available before

facing bowser for the final time as you need to face him to get the purple coin challenges etc I belive?

60 stars

Is it the

red one above the Bedroom?

If so,

once you have access to the Gate, have a little explore on the planetoid it leads to.

It's not though. It's just a tacked on little optional extra. It did nothing for me.

I suppose if you view it as an 'unlockable bonus gallery' in the context of the reward structure of the game, it's unremarkable.

The content and how it's presented is what's interesting. A series that's been almost psychotically averse to presenting characters with human traits and motivations for twenty years, hiding away a simply told story like this (which as people seem to be agreed, has no 'purpose' to the game) is surprising. If we can say anything with certainty about the developers of SMG, they haven't included anything in the game for the sake of it. The storybook (and the music) were definitely evocative for me when reaching

Gateway Galaxy

Edit: I'm slightly worried that I'll look like I'm overselling it in explaining why I think it's important.

The storybook was charming, & the 2 little twists in it were unexpected, but added a little more depth.

Those twists being

the Lumas having a legend about their "mother" coming for them on a comet, & in persuing that legend the girl fulfills it, & of course the one about her own mother.

I can't believe people are so 'meh' about the storybook. It's one of the most important steps forward that the game makes on the series. Fantastic music, too.

Agreed. It's simple, but beautifully done. The Edge review has it right - in its own sweet little way, it's one of the best stories in a game this year. Really quite intelligently done, and the drawings and music are gorgeous. It actually got me a teensy bit choked up at one point.