IGNORED

LOTR Online

moosegrinder

Well, after a brief stint getting not very far a few months back, I'm up to date with a fresh installation and ready to roll tonight. After never progressing very far at all due to work/life commitments, I'm eager to just start plodding along afresh again. I have a severe case of not knowing much about anything in LOTRO, aside from it seemed quite straight forward as I solo'd for 12 levels last time.

How do you think I will fair getting through the game at quite a late joining? Will progress be difficult?

I should also work out how to get some money this time as well, I remember my auctions didn't do too well last time and it was a bit of a struggle.

You should be fine. I've just come back to the game after a break and there seem to be lots of players around playing alts or whatever. Shouldn't have too many problems getting groups for the harder quests etc.

For money I found that going Explorer is great as you can farm and sell resources.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Have you tried gamershell.com ? You get pretty fast download from there.

Tried downloading from that site twice today. Good speed but it gets about 50% done then closes and says the file is corrupted.

I started playing this a few days ago after upgrading my pc... oh man, this is crack for a Tolkien fan. I chose a Captain because that seemed a nice compromise between solo and group play. I'm loving it so far, I've got up to level 12 and I'm starting to get quests that recommend a fellowship or at least a couple of buddies to complete them. This is all a new world to me, I dabbled with FF Online on the 360 but lost interest before needing to group with other people. So I'm still on a steep learning curve figuring out the best way to play but I'm loving the experience.

I started playing this a few days ago after upgrading my pc... oh man, this is crack for a Tolkien fan. I chose a Captain because that seemed a nice compromise between solo and group play.

This is what keeps me playing, they've done an amazing job with some of the locales and the epic books follow the story brilliantly. Places like Fornost and Annuminas (which you'll see later on) still blow me away, brilliantly realised and give you a real sense of history. I particularly love how Ered Luin has that quiet, abandoned feel knowing full well that the real action is happening further west ;)

Good choice with the Captain too, that is my main character. Their skills really flesh out in to 30's, as they have so many areas of expertise it takes a while for them to really have a good mix.

What server did you join?

What server did you join?

I went for Evernight as most people on here seemed to have joined it.

I progressed another couple of levels today, went to the wonderfully spooky Midgewater Marshes, got slapped on the arse by a Hobbit in the Prancing Pony and after realizing I hadn't really been following the epic quest line I got stuck into that and met Strider! What I really like is the way that you can just do your own thing to a certain extent, I've never felt pushed to follow the main storyline, I've been happy running around Bree Land helping people out.

I've still got loads of stuff I haven't really touched (crafting, fellowships, hobbies etc) but I've picked up a quest to the Barrow Downs so I reckon I'll need to start looking for help. I'm really looking forward to visiting other areas such as the Shire, I was running through Staddle earlier today and saw some very familiar doors... ooooh Hobbit holes!!! <_<

I'm on Evernight so give me a shout if you need anything, might even have some Kinnies who could join you in the Barrows.

Glad you're enjoying it, best advice I can give is just to take your time and soak up the atmosphere, too many people rush through and miss it all.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the thread ressurection.

Anybody still play this? I hop on every now and then and usually have a good time while thinking OMG THIS IS SO PRETTY. The new Moria sections are draw dropping with high quality textures and dynamic shadows on all over the place (my PC doesn't appreciate it though).

I'm a Captain on the [EN] Eldar server.

snowarea.th.jpg

;)

I've thought about returning a few times but unfortuately my tastes in MMOs has totally changed since I left LOTRO, i've grown to be a massive lover of PVP since playing AOC and WAR and i can't see me playing anything other than Aion untill TOR comes out but i really do hope to go back and look at Moria one day.

My account got reactivated for 10 days or something, so I gave it another quick whirl. Suffered from major lag problems (rubber banding I think is the term) which made it unplayable. The character would walk for a few seconds, then get stuck for a few seconds and then repeat.

Never had this problem when I played it first time around. I quick scan of the forums revealed other people having similar problems. Put me off coming back.

• 1 month later...

Some fresh images...

Kilyara in the High Pass, Misty Mountains

screenshot000254995.jpg

Lake Evendim just outside Annuminas

screenshot000227894.jpg

Caradhas, one of the peaks above Khazad Dum

screenshot000282220.jpg

Aikaa (my burglar) in Rivendell

screenshot000003165.jpg

My Elf warden, Kilyara, and her Hobbit friend Pic in the Vile Maw, home of the Watcher in the Water

screenshot000317602.jpg

Gorrok (guardian), Bryanna (minstrel) and Arranthir (captain) in Zirakzigil, the final reasting place of Durins Bane (the Balrog of Moria)

screenshot000117288.jpg

That looks lovely, i'm so tempted to pick this up to give it a try as i noticed its only about 6 quid on play or amazon. Is it still well populated?

Whats the deal with the first expansion, i assume its something i wouldnt need until i get further into the game and up to a certain level?

Evernight is still well populated, though not sure how it compares to to other servers. There are still people doing lower level areas (mainly alts as you'd expect after 2 and a half years), while you may have a small amount of trouble finding a group for some of the 1-50 content, most of the content is manageable on your own. Nothing a good kin couldnt solve either :unsure:

Mines of Moria the first expansion released last November, requires a separate download/purchase, but you can still go as far as the Walls of Moria without that, and probably achieve about level 55/56 without the need for Moria content. Siege of Mirkwood is released in December, the new digital expansion which increases the cap to 65 and opens up, well, Mirkwood.

Going back to the population... I'm actually quite put off by really busy servers, and its one of the things that ruined Aion for me. I certainly wouldnt let it put me off, perhaps only if I wasnt able to finish a certain quest/instance because there was no-one around, thats definitely not the case.

If you do decide to give it a go give me a shout. As you've probably guessed i'm on Evernight server and my character names are in my sig, i'm leader of a small social kin Flame Imperishable, a really friendly bunch who are very knowledgable. We're by no means an uber raiding kin, but have a pretty good record at most of the content.

• 3 weeks later...

I've returned to my lifetime account after about 7 months playing WoW. I love this game all over again. I play on Laurelin and from what I can gather it's pretty busy at the high end and there are still people running around 1-50 doing stuff. I always see people in LFF getting groups together for stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone sum up in a couple of sentences why they play/prefer LotRO over WoW?

I've done a trial on LotRO and enjoyed it, but didn't really see much difference to WoW other than the Tolkien graphics. At the moment I'm still dipping in and out of WoW, but if there's a compelling reason to flip to LotRO, I'd love to hear it.

Having only played WoW for only a few hours I can't really comment. I trialled both at the same time and LOTRO grabbed me more out of the two, and has even kept me coming back through AoC and Aion in the meantime.

I'll admit to being a bit of a Tolkien fan so the universe is very compelling but I wouldnt have played for nearly 3 years if there wasnt a hook with the dynamics of the game. Apart from one major annoyance (end-game instance gating) its improved with every update and if you've only played the original release version then the game is completely different now.

The new Siege of Mirkwood update has brought the skirmish system, which is a game in itself with content for solo players, or groups of 3, 6 and 12 people from anywhere in the game, aswell as a whole new area and several new instances. The combat system has also had a complete overhaul, moving away from the slightly limited (but IMO brilliant) auto attack reliant system, bringing in a much more fluid system giving the play more immediate options during combat.

As I said, i'm not an 'ex WoW player' like a lot seem to be, so I cant be the guy to give you reasons you'd wanna change. A few guys in my kin ARE, but then i'm sure there's plenty in WoW who are 'ex LOTRO' so i'm not sure what to tell you.

We are delighted to inform you that your account for The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™ will be re-activated for a Welcome Back Week starting 23rd December, 2009. You will not be charged for this time and your account will be automatically closed at the end of the Welcome Back Week.

If you do not wish to take advantage of this free game time there is no need to do anything and you may disregard this email.

The entire duration your account will be active is from 23rd December until 30th December 2009.

Merry Christmas to you too, Turbine/Codemasters. :hug:

Interesting to hear opinions on the game. I keep dipping in and out of WoW and Eve, probably 3-5 months per year in each game as my "background MMO". For that reason, I only buy game cards or pre-pay for a block of time, never go recurring subscription. I keep looking at LotRO as an option, so may pick it up next year -- the skirmish system sounds very cool.