IGNORED

LOTR Online

moosegrinder

Few Mirkwood screenies, sorry about the poor quality (now edited with better quality) :)

Aikaa sporting her new Dungeons Crawlers gear, with Minas Gil in the background.

screenshot000595795.jpg

A view of Dol Guldur from Thagulhad.

screenshot000573849.jpg

Southern Mirkwood from Minas Gil.

screenshot000108019.jpg

Mirk-Eaves and the Anduin

screenshot000682606.jpg

It really is a stunningly beautiful game at times. I got back into this a couple of weeks ago. I started it with a Captain but after an enjoyable start I couldn't really get on with it... a combination of being an MMO noob and not really knowing what I was doing with buffs etc. It was quite frustrating. I gave it another try as a Hunter and did a bit of research before I started and I absolutely love it! Got a really cool and friendly kin, got my tactics and skill use sorted out so I can drop most mobs before they get near me and loving the crafting. On the whole the community is really friendly and helpful and some of the quests and instances are awesome.

Tempted to bring my Captain out of retirement and see how I get on now that I've got more of a handle on things. :)

I love my captain, great fun on your own but I think they really shine in groups. Definitely give it another try.

I will now that I understand the game a bit better and can appreciate what the Captain class can do. I'm loving the Hunter skills though, so it will be a bugger to tear myself away from that class. There's just someting satisfying about dropping a mob without taking a scratch! :)

I will now that I understand the game a bit better and can appreciate what the Captain class can do. I'm loving the Hunter skills though, so it will be a bugger to tear myself away from that class. There's just someting satisfying about dropping a mob without taking a scratch! :)

If you wanna go one better than that, try a burglar... You kill things before they even know youre there, and if they do, theyre most likely unconscious :)

Me and some Kinnies performing in the Shire homesteads. The house on the top left of the screen is our Kin-house, we even have our own windmill (which is behind the tree). Also, i'm not sure why i'm playing my lute in stealth, oops!

screenshot000786468.jpg

Ford of Bruinen, during a skirmish.

screenshot000455118.jpg

My warden, Kilyara, looking across the Anduin towards Lothlorien. I love the contast of the grim grey of Mirkwood and the golden leaves of Lorien.

screenshot000074822.jpg

If you wanna go one better than that, try a burglar... You kill things before they even know youre there, and if they do, theyre most likely unconscious :)

Oh man that sounds good. Might be a bit tricky juggling three classes though! :wacko:

I'm Danadir on Evernight btw, everyone feel free to say hi! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Getting bored of being stuck underground in Moria, is it particularly difficult to get outside to the SoM content?

You can exit Mora to Nanduhrion at any stage (ideally minimum level 57/58), then head into Lothlorien once you have aquaintance reputation with the Galadhrim (which you can get in an hour or two in Nanduhrion). As soon as you can pass through Lothlorien (with the rep mentioned above) you can move onto SoM.

Moria > Nanduhrion

Nanduhrion > (aquaintance rep with the Galadhrim) > Lothlorien

Lothlorien > (relevant book quest) > Mirkwood

Hope that helps, or made some kinda sense.

or anyone feeling up to a barrage of in game n00b questions? :bye:

Always, knock yourself out :huh:

Not sure on guides, but the forums are littered with really good articles if you can filter out the usual group of MMO-based tossers that fill up the rest of the space :/

Cool thanks. :wub:

Guilds (WoW speak) not guides. I think they are kins or something in this - do we have a forum one?

:huh: Sorry, i'd just woken up :bye:

No we dont have a forum kinship, the reamining players on here seem to be spread across servers and kins.

I have my own kin on Evernight who are a great/crazy bunch, my 'successor' Rae loves to helps out new players, I mean LOVES! Downside (well, we look at it as a positive) is we're a small kin (30-ish players) who do most things together and mainly the higher level content. Regardless, you'd be welcome to join and will be more than glad to give you some early guidance.

http://flameimperishable.guildlaunch.com

Sorry if this is a blanketly impossible to answer question but...

...how is LOTRO these days? I played it for a few weeks at launch and quite liked it but it played like an absolute dog on my old pc and I was still massively hooked on WoW.

I no longer play wow however and recently built a b*****d quick pc, and have been wondering about lOTRO again. Is it a fun place to be and still have a decent turnover of players? (i.e. are there still people coming new to it? or are there just max level players and little else)?

Any opinions much appreciated.

Evernight is still well populated, though not sure how it compares to to other servers. There are still people doing lower level areas (mainly alts as you'd expect after 2 and a half years), while you may have a small amount of trouble finding a group for some of the 1-50 content, most of the content is manageable on your own. Nothing a good kin couldnt solve either :huh:

Mines of Moria the first expansion released last November, requires a separate download/purchase, but you can still go as far as the Walls of Moria without that, and probably achieve about level 55/56 without the need for Moria content. Siege of Mirkwood is released in December, the new digital expansion which increases the cap to 65 and opens up, well, Mirkwood.

Going back to the population... I'm actually quite put off by really busy servers, and its one of the things that ruined Aion for me. I certainly wouldnt let it put me off, perhaps only if I wasnt able to finish a certain quest/instance because there was no-one around, thats definitely not the case.

To quote myself from about 2 months back :bye:

Can someone help me getting my client up to date. I don't have anything installed on this PC.

I have the original retail box, and I also have the Mines of Moria boxed expansion. What's the best way for me to get going again with this? Do I just need to install the expansion and update through the updater? Or are there patches I need to manually download?

LM's are about the most surivable class in the game, but its a steep learning curve. They are the class that is considered the most overpowered in the game and are capable of things no other class is, or were until wardens came along.

Picking your targets is key on any character, except a mid level warden, where any number of mobs is just about manageable.

Good question...

Burglars, Loremasters and Wardens are considered the advanced classes, so it depends what you'd prefer playstyle wise. I can reccommend them all as I have one of each. Loremasters are the kings of debuffs and crowd control, and are quite appealing to people who like pet classes, but can do some amazing burst damage in the later levels. Wardens are the medium armour off-tank, but are capable of tanking most of the content as well as Guardians, but in a very different style. Burglars are hard to describe, I believe the selection screen describes them simply as 'debuffer' which is very true, thier single target debuffs are unrivalled. They also do some incredible single target damage and are the most fun class to solo, I think.

The thing is, i'm not sure you'll get a feel for any of them until the mid-levels.

I rolled a guardian in the end and I'm finding it much easier - up to level 12 now in one sitting with no deaths :unsure:

I have some post in my inbox since doing the begineer instance and getting my map home but can't collect it as I'm still on the trial version - any idea what this is?