IGNORED

LOTR Online

moosegrinder

It's wierd, describing what a warden can do can make them seem invincible, but in reality they're very tough to play and one wrong step can see you go spalt in seconds.

I just did a 6 man skirmish with my kin on my warden without a healer (we had a dps traied RK which doesnt really count) and 45 minutes later... I've never been so exhausted in my life.

Wardens rely on self heals and buffs, and you have to be on a constant cycle of buffing, leeching and threat generation. Guardians have small self heals but wear heavy armour and have loads of emergency skills. Its a good balance, and while you could say each class has certain encounters that are better suited to thier style, I think both are capable of being a main tank on most of the content.

But trust me, there's time I wish I was a guardian not a warden ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought this, felt like a bit of an MMO to play for a little bit, and couldn't face going back to WoW. I know that there's no specific RLLMUK server or fellowship, but I don't know anybody else playing this. Would any kind mukkers be willing to show a newbie the ropes?

I've just bought this, felt like a bit of an MMO to play for a little bit, and couldn't face going back to WoW. I know that there's no specific RLLMUK server or fellowship, but I don't know anybody else playing this. Would any kind mukkers be willing to show a newbie the ropes?

What server are you on?

The majority of people here seem to be on Evernight [EU], although there are a couple of us on Eldar [EU]. You'll be able to find a kinship with disturbingly enthusiastic and altruistic veterans on either, I expect.

I can confirm this to be true. I started fairly recently as well and I just ran into a friendly kinship on Eldar [EU] who were great with advice and wanted to build my minstel nicer instruments straight away, but I can't decide whether it's funnier cowbelling or clarinetting people to death. The rural saxophone also makes a case for itself too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Even if you just treated it like a single player game you played for a month then binned, it would be a massive bargain at that price.

I'm guessing you'll wanna stick around past that though once you get stuck in.

This is one of the things I love about this game, more so than any other MMO imo. Grouping is obviously fun and all but the quality of the writing for the quests is so charming and to such a high quality that it can be like playing a cracking single-player RPG.

I would recommend anyone plays through the Shire quests as it is just a brilliant experience.

How are people finding the revamp to the lower level area's and the dumbing down as some players are calling it? I've just come back after a break and found that my new burglar has reached level 20 as he is moving into Bree after completing the Shire quests. I seem to remember most of my other characters getting to 15-16ish when moving into Bree. Looking forward to see how Lone-lands and North Downs have changed.

It was slightly disappointing that a lot of the elite mobs have been made signature but its all very soloable now.

I would recommend anyone plays through the Shire quests as it is just a brilliant experience.

Totally agree with this. I played for a bit soon after release and had a fantastic time leveling a hobbit burglar through the Shire. Game lost it's appeal soon after but the Shire is up there amongst my top gaming moments.

I think its a fairly generous game for solo player, but it does have a few sticking points where an increase in group content shows up. This can also be down to the class you play as to how much enjoyment you'll have solo, a burglar for example can handle near enough anyhting including small fellowship and some fellowship quests. Wardens are much the same, being able to take on large swarms where other classes would have to pick thier targets with much more caution.

I'd highly recommend LOTRO to anyone who still hasnt tested it out, the original release content of Ered Luin and Shire up til Angmar and Forochel is extremely polished, with some amazing quest arcs and the epic book quests are great for those who can follow the LOTR story fairly well. For me it was only Moria and the newer locations that have lost a bit of the games early magic, though there is still some amazing sights to be seen late on.

I'm currently taking a break from the LOTRO 'end-game' as the latest update didn't provide too much and I was in danger of losing interest completely, but for newcomers there is hundreds of hours of things to do before you have to worry about that. I'm currently taking my time working on a little champion, who is level 22, and just having fun within the kinship.

Give it a go! My kin is still running, albeit quite quietly at the moment due to some absentees, so if you need a hand or wanna join give me a shout in game, names are in my sig. Infact, I quite like the idea of starting a new character so if anyone fancies going through as a duo (or with me and a kinny or two), again, let me know :lol:

I'm downloading the free trial as we speak. I originally playe the game briefly during beta but wasn't impressed, but I'm willing to give it a shot as the more single player nature of it (from what I understand) sounds good.

Gonna roll a Hobbit Guardian methinks.

About the rarest race/class combo (apart from dwarf hunter) you can get, good choice!

The game seems fun and is certainly very pretty in parts, but it all feels a bit...I dunno. Floaty. The character doesn't really feel like they're connected to the world, or like they're ice skating everywhere, and the combat isn't very satisfying. It's hard to tell if you're actually hitting stuff or not.

I've got 10 days free, anyway, so we'll see how I get on...

Ps: thanks to lilman and his many alts for the noob friendly help and advice ;)

I posted this in discussion, but wondered whether there were any views in here?

Raising this thread from the dead, I need someone to sell me the good points of LOTRO to decide whether I keep on playing it or just give up now.

I had a free trial about 6 months ago and got a Dwarf Rune-Keeper up to level 15, and out to Bree. I came back two weeks ago with a $9.99 offer of Siege of Murkwood and a month's free sub.

I've now got up to level 19, still around Bree, but having just come from WoW where I've got a level 74 Rogue in Northrend, I'm just feeling there's a massive difference in the quality of the two games. LoTRO feels half-finished in some respects (to me, a new player).

I find the interface a bit clunky, tracking quests difficult, the frame rate a bit dodgy on occasion, and the place feels deserted.

But the game does seem to have good depth, especially in crafting and some of the other professions. I also like the classes, which are not too typical of MMOs. I'm also really enjoying the lore and the story/chapter/book approach to the game's structure.

So... any other LoTRO players care to chip in about what there is to look forward to? I've not yet done any skirmishes, I've not done any fellowship quests (mainly because there's never anyone around to do them!), and the Kin I was in is now deserted (having all moved to another Kin).

Any tips for getting the most out of LoTRO?

tyagi... I've posted a fair few impressions in here over the last year or so. It's a tough game to sell to someone unless they love LOTR or they've tried it themselves which is clearly the best way to go.

I don't belive the 'difference in quality between WoW and this' nonsense, WoW bored me to tears and I find the stylings quite offensive to my eyes. Its just down to personal taste. I've played for 3 years now with only a break of about 3 months, so there's plenty to get stuck in to. But there are long term concerns for existing players, new content is not being produced at a decent rate and when it is its a bit on the light side.

I'd suggest just giving it a try like Squid is, remember that coming from another system you're used to takes some time to adjust and see how you feel about the games dynamics after you've reached say level 15-20. The game is very solo-friendly up to about level 35-40 when you'll be treated to some larger scale fellowship quests, and the game takes a much more serious route as it moves away from the comforts of Bree-land, the Shire and Rivendell.

If its an option, the most fun you'll have is going through as a duo or small group. A couple of burglars can cause havoc around Middle Earth, but just about any combination of two classes can be effective and a whole lot of fun. Just avoid Runekeepers, grrr! There really is some great classes available, the burglar and loremaster are highlights for me.

I don't belive the 'difference in quality between WoW and this' nonsense,

[...]

Just avoid Runekeepers, grrr! There really is some great classes available, the burglar and loremaster are highlights for me.

On the quality question, it's just a matter of polish as far as I can tell. Yes, the LOTRO graphics are lovely, but some things like the user interface just haven't received the same degree of polish as WOW. I also find the quest tracking and management in LOTRO just that bit more fiddly and unclear when compared with WOW. I'm not criticising the core game of LOTRO, as I can see there's a lot there.

As for Runekeepers, well... that's my character's class. So.. I'm happy to go back and re-roll if there's a particular reason why Rune Keeper is a bit of a dud. Any tips?

From what I understand, people don't like runekeepers becaus they don't fit with the lore of lord of the rings. How they are as a class is anyones guess...

It's hard to describe my dislike for them really, apart from the fact that I found it really dull to play. The lore thing doesn't bother me as much as it does a lot of people and they do bring a nice balance to the classes in the game... Certainly no reason to worry about it being a dud class tyagi, RK's are extremely powerful. Me and a friend had about an hour of sparring the other night, burgar vs RK, and I think the RK won 1 of about 20 (with a tasty 4.5k crit), so fear the burglar! :o

I still can't see the lack of polish either, certainly not with the UI and quest tracker which are uncluttered, unfussy and very user-friendly. The visuals obviously are very, very nice but I think that quality continues throughout most areas of the game. The only issue I have is with frame rate, but thats probably down to my system more than anyhting.