IGNORED

LOTR Online

moosegrinder

It's hard to explain. I think if it's all you're used to it's probably fine n dandy, but compared to wow's it can sometimes feel a bit fiddley and counter-intuitive. For example, on the map, if there is an area highted for a quest, hovering over that area with the mouse does nothing - you have to go to the quest thing at the side and then hover each quest until you get the right one and it starts flashing, whereas on wow if you hover over the highlighted area it'll tell you what quest it is, how many wolf nipples you have/still need to collect etc.

Another thing is if someone runs past you, it's quite hard to target them to see what class etc they are unless you're bang on the money, whereas wow seems to have a bigger hit box for such things. Again, something long time lotro players won't even bat an eyelid at but that, for someone coming from wow, make it seem less polished.

Whilst the graphics are nice, most of the animation is pretty shoddy. Character animation is quite stiff, particularly during combat, the jumping animations seem like half the frames are missing and everyone runs like they're ice skating.

Also, the font used for everything is horrible. Any way to change it?

Whilst the graphics are nice, most of the animation is pretty shoddy. Character animation is quite stiff, particularly during combat, the jumping animations seem like half the frames are missing and everyone runs like they're ice skating.

Also, the font used for everything is horrible. Any way to change it?

Aha, I thought it was just me who thought the animation was guff. I was mucking around with my settings just trying to get things to smooth out.

Spent a few hours fence hopping and shrew stomping yesterday, the latter was particularly fun with me and 3 of my kin all trying to stomp the papa shrew. I'm a little disapointed with the tradeable rewards this time round though, apart from one nice cosmetic outfit.

Have you done all the maze quests Shim?

I finally started on my minstrel this week, i'm not sure how i've managed to resist for 3 years. It looks like it will be a fun class and I cant wait to get into some proper group healing situations, already have a trip into the Great Barrows planned with the kin.

Yeah, I did all the maze ones yesterday. The one where you have to beat the guy's record is a bit odd as it says you have 3 times his record the first time when you have 15 minutes, then you have about 7-8 minutes then the last ones gives you 2 1/2 minutes to beat his record so there's some funny maths going on there. It's a shame you can't do them all at once and run round trying to find chickens & elves and putting up misleading signs then trying to get out in time. Quite pleased at doing them all first time though. Haven't done the fence running yet.

Got to love a minstrel. I still find it amusing that combat wise I'm essentially running around playing disheartening music at bears and pigs and shouting in people's faces until they fall over.

Yeah, I did all the maze ones yesterday. The one where you have to beat the guy's record is a bit odd as it says you have 3 times his record the first time when you have 15 minutes, then you have about 7-8 minutes then the last ones gives you 2 1/2 minutes to beat his record so there's some funny maths going on there. It's a shame you can't do them all at once and run round trying to find chickens & elves and putting up misleading signs then trying to get out in time. Quite pleased at doing them all first time though. Haven't done the fence running yet.

Got to love a minstrel. I still find it amusing that combat wise I'm essentially running around playing disheartening music at bears and pigs and shouting in people's faces until they fall over.

Yes I thought the maze speed runs were going to 15, 10 and 5, but it was 15, 10 and 3. Luckily on about my 5th run through (after doing the elves and sign posting) it was pretty easy and did it with about 30 seconds spare. Fence running is hard enough as it is, with added beer drinking blurry vision its even harder, great fun though :rolleyes:

The minstrel is a nice change of pace from what i'm used to, looking forward to the next 50 levels.

Who do you speak to to start fence runs? I've seen where you do fence running but noone seems to have quest rings above their head. Is it a timed thing like stomp a shrew or the dancing or was it just being odd?

Also, what's the nice reward outfit you mentioned like?

My only problem with the minstrel is that it's just so hard to choose which instrument to go for so I end up lugging round a bunch. I've got a nice theorbo that our kin woodworker knocked up for me so that's my main combat one, but I do like standing on the boar statue in Bree and clarinetting some Zelda tracks or climbing a hill in the Lone lands, looking down on the plains and knocking out a bit of Morricone on the lute :)

ScreenShot00020.jpg

:rolleyes:

Who do you speak to to start fence runs? I've seen where you do fence running but noone seems to have quest rings above their head. Is it a timed thing like stomp a shrew or the dancing or was it just being odd?

Also, what's the nice reward outfit you mentioned like?

My only problem with the minstrel is that it's just so hard to choose which instrument to go for so I end up lugging round a bunch. I've got a nice theorbo that our kin woodworker knocked up for me so that's my main combat one, but I do like standing on the boar statue in Bree and clarinetting some Zelda tracks or climbing a hill in the Lone lands, looking down on the plains and knocking out a bit of Morricone on the lute :)

The Inn League hobbit is in Brockenborings, i'm sure one of the elves at Duillond sent me to him via a quest.

I'll post a pic tonight (if I manage to log in) of the outfit, I thought it was nice and dyes well in most of the colours.

The crafted instruments at later levels have different properties, theorbo for threat reduction and bagpipes for dps, for example. I've been around since the beginning and there's something really cool about hearing the old healing tunes on a lute (which was the only option back then I think?), but I carry a flute, harp and a drum too, for variety :rolleyes:

Eldar [EU]. Everyone else off of here (bar Forral, who's also on Eldar) are on Evernight, aren't they?

I'm not sure there are many others, but yes I think so.

I'm desparately trying to get to level 35 on my minstrel before the festival finishes, which thankfully has been extended.

• 1 month later...

I always thought LOTRO had a solid player base? I'm not sure of these micro transaction models, surely that just creates even more divides among the player base?

I spent around 5 years playing MMOs, FFxi and then WoW and I never once thought the £9 a month I paid in subscription fees was expensive, it wouldn't even buy a round of beers for me and my mates after work on a Saturday yet people make it out to be some huge investment.

I always thought LOTRO had a solid player base? I'm not sure of these micro transaction models, surely that just creates even more divides among the player base?

I spent around 5 years playing MMOs, FFxi and then WoW and I never once thought the £9 a month I paid in subscription fees was expensive, it wouldn't even buy a round of beers for me and my mates after work on a Saturday yet people make it out to be some huge investment.

Yeah that's pretty much my view, if I was still paying £9 a month I wouldn't be disapointed.

The people who took advantage of the founders offer, something like £120 for a lifetime sub, must be laughing.

Has going free to play adversely affected DDO? I'm guessing Turbine took the decision due to its success.

This is good for me - my gaming is too sporadic to pay for an MMO these days, so the free to play models suit me fine.

I hope this beefs up the population on Evernight. Got so many quests that are group only, including all the books.

Do the other servers have higher populations?

Eldar and Snowbourn are higher than Evernight apparently. I don't have a problem with the population as I tend to do everything within my Kinship, and prefer being able to walk around without lots of emote spam.

Happy to help whenever Diggler, and if you need anyhting to ease you back into the game let me know.

Since its free-to-play relaunch in September 2009, Dungeons & Dragons Online has attracted one million players, boosted revenues by 500 per cent, and even doubled the number of traditional subscribers to the game. A recent survey put it as the third most-played MMO in the US after World of Warcraft and RuneScape.

Eurogamer

Blimey, I thought going free was going to be DDO's swan song. Evidently not.