IGNORED

LOTR Online

moosegrinder

I just started playing this for the first time, and it dumps me in a dungeon with Aragorn telling me to hurry up, the game tells me to search a satchel which is apparently near "my rescuer" (Aragorn presumably) But there is no satchel in sight and I can't see one anywhere in the 3 small rooms I can get to- help!

Can't recall that section... Try hitting delete as you wander around and see if it picks up on any nearby usable items.

If nothing, i'd raise an in-game ticket, support are normally pretty quick to respond.

• 2 months later...

I really can't get enough of LOTRO at the moment, there's been some low points over it's 6 years but it feels like a hell of a game right now. There's so much content, and Middle Earth is so rich with detail and great locations it's easy to get lost in it all especially over a nice relaxing bank holiday weekend :)

The latest few updates (after Rohan) have seen extra instances and raids, and scaling added to good portion of the older ones. There's a great choice whether you like playing in a small group (3), a fellowship (6), or raiding. To be honest, even if you're a solo only gamer there's plenty to be getting on with.

I've been playing with two good friends trying to perfect anything that requires 3 people, and with our slightly unorthodox group we've done surprisingly well. We're usually Loremaster (me), Captain and Burglar, all of which are hybrids. Luckily the design of the 3-mans allows for this sort of experimentation, you don't always need a dedicated tank class, nor a dedicated healer, and our 3 classes compliment each other very well.

I'm also taking my Captain through Rohan to level 85 and it really is/was a brilliant update. The design of the locations is excellent, it's vast and beautiful and feels very natural. Mounted combat is superb and feels smoother than it was last year. The thing I was most impressed with whilst playing this weekend though... the music.

Arranthir, riding in the East Wall (sorry for the low quality).

post-63-0-82953300-1364914846_thumb.jpg

View across the northern Wold featuring Gryff, my trusty Dwarven herald.

post-63-0-51684900-1364914962_thumb.jpg

I quite fancy a dabble in this, whats a good solo class as I'm guessing there will be bugger all n00b activity at this point?

Love the pics

To be honest you can't go wrong with any class for solo play, it all depends what style of combat you prefer.

You could say Runekeeprs are your generic mage class (fire and lightning damage, can also heal), and Champions the warrior class (melee 2-handed or dual wield damage), these two are probably the speediest, but not necessarily the safest. Captains are 2-handed melee with buffs and heals, but can take a while to get going, half of their skill-set is built around support and group play. Burglars are single target and stealth, but by no means your traditional assassin class, but a really good choice if you fancy giving mobs a rough time and going places you shouldn't. Guardians are the classic heavy shield tank, but they have an 'overpower' option for 2-handed damage, and can keep up. Wardens are your agility tanks, spear and shield, and almost unkillable by level 30, Guardians much the same. The wardens use a very cool gambit system, where you chain together attacks to build damage/buff/heal gambits, which then produce stronger attacks, buffs to defences or heals. Something very different and highly recommended. Then there's the hunter, traditional ranged damage with some workable melee skills should mobs close in, nice for solo with their travel skills and speed buffs. Minstrels are the most traditional healing class in the game but have a 'war speech' stance for damage, they play instruments and use ballads and light based damage to kill things, blowing things up while playing a lute is surreal but awesome. Lastly there's the Loremaster (my main class), a mixture of tactical and melee damage and the main support class of the game. They have a huge amount of disabling and control skills, but are also capable of huge damage, especially at later levels.

Basically every class has a damage spec, and every class can fill a couple of roles (captains all three), it really is down to what style of combat you'd prefer.

I have a tiny hatred for Runekeepers so i'd find it hard to recommend one, so i'd say if you're into tactical damage, try the Loremaster if you wanna debuff and support, or the Minstrel if you want something a bit whacky or want to be a main healer.

Of the melee classes, i'd say Warden or Burglar. Champions are powerful but fairly smashy smashy, whereas the other two have a bit of strategy about them. Captains are great and perfectly good solo, but really shine in group play.

If you give it a go, jump on Evernight and i'll come and say hi, I have a little Minstrel around level 15 :)

Also, have more pics!

post-63-0-75633400-1365032503_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-92703400-1365032521_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-67346200-1365032545_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-68678000-1365032602_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-25952500-1365032633_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Waiting for my internet connection to be back up properly next week, then I my hit this again. I've got all the expansions up to to Rohan as I got them cheap, so got plenty of content to play through. How much of the content needs you to be in a fellowship? If there is a fair amount, I guess I'll be better with a healer or tank to be able to get into groups more easily?

There is no forced fellowship content at all, you can play through the whole 'story' solo. There are plenty of 2/3/6 man instances along the way if you want to group up mind.

Tank classes are probably most in demand at the moment, certainly at level cap, but you can join with anything. Captains are probably 2nd most desired, usually in place of a full blown healer.

There is no forced fellowship content at all, you can play through the whole 'story' solo. There are plenty of 2/3/6 man instances along the way if you want to group up mind.

Tank classes are probably most in demand at the moment, certainly at level cap, but you can join with anything. Captains are probably 2nd most desired, usually in place of a full blown healer.

Cheers. Tank is my usual spec in WoW, but you obviously need to know the instances, so I guess Captain might be a good start!

Thicko question. How do I see which quest packs I have purchased? Can't seem to find anything on the account site or in the game.

And that Pando media thing is a bag of spanners. Could not get the installer to work at all. I'm on a Mac, so I know it's Beta but it insisted I wasn't connected to the internet. Managed to download it from through Steam and the updates all worked fine.

• 5 months later...

I returned to this recently. I had a level 33 dwarf Guardian languishing in Evendim but decided to start over with a hobbit just to experience the Shire properly for the first time.

It's such a good game. There's so much detail and care in the world they've built up and it's as entertaining a solo game as you could possibly hope for. Played solo it's not actually far off something like Skyrim, but more varied with much better writing and a more detailed world. Yes it's a standard MMO template but the tick-tick-tick of the XP accumulating is as gratifying as ever and there are so many interlocking systems (levels, deeds, traits, tasks and so on) that there's always a huge amount to do. Really lovely stuff.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Been on a little over the last week prepping for the Helms Deep expansion which arrives next month. I really wish I still had the time I used to have to play LOTRO, i've pretty much seen everything there is to see (multiple times) but i'd still love to spend more time there. It's so rich with things to do now, and I think it's still pretty as hell.

It's a shame we never managed to keep a rllmuk guild going, I think i'm the only long term survivor now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I made a new Hobbit!

Here she is, wandering Bree-land...

post-63-0-56081000-1403000743_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-42661900-1403000754_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-42975800-1403000759_thumb.jpg

For some reason I deleted my hunter who was level 65 and had some nice maxed-out crafting skills. I think I fancied starting again (with the huge changes that arrived at the end of last year) and my elf always looked a bit silly. Thankfully getting her to the crafting cap won't take nearly as long as it used to, and i'm quite looking forward to doing it as I go, rather than just buying everything i'd need on another character.

The game still looks beautiful to me, despite being over 7 years old now, and i'll always love wandering the low-level areas as they bring back some really good memories.

• 4 weeks later...

Did they ever finish the revamp? I really struggled with Moria. A maze that I couldn't figure out, really hard combat for my champion. Every fight felt like a chore. Especially given there was a group of mobs every 10 feet or so.

If it hadn't been such a slog getting around I might have stuck it out. I think I left my champion at level 58.

I think in the end my champion had far too many fucking buttons to be manageble and I ended almost every fight with really low health. It just all fell apart for me in Moria :)

It has been revamped but i've not been through it since so i'm not sure what has changed. If it's like the earlier zones they've redone then i'm sure it'll be fine, generally there's a bit more direction and the flow of quests is easier to follow these days.

There's a few nice additions like ambient quests, auto-looting and inventory overflow too which take some of the potential frustration out.

At 58 you can definitely leave Moria behind unless you're concerned with finishing the book. You can go to Nanduhirion (other side of Moria), then down into Lothlorien and across the Anduin to Mirkwood. Spoilt for choice really at that level! After that the quality of zones and content improves dramatically, Enedwaith, Dunland, the Great River and Rohan (East and West).

As for the champ, all classes had a huge overhaul last year, including the consolidation of a lot of skills, so you should find the skill bars a lot more manageable these days.

Have they improved it graphically? I guess it looks a bit dated nowadays. Edit: Just remembered there are some screenshots in this thead, it looks.. ok, but very barren. Is that just in certain areas or is the whole game like that?

The latest free content update arrived last week, Paths of the Dead. A new level cap of 100 (from 95), the region of West Gondor, continuation of the epic quest line, a new armour system with customisable gear and another tier of legendary items to get to work on. Oh and Dol Amroth offers a new place to work towards new (awesome looking) Gondorian armour sets.

I'm all for doing LOTRO content without the need for an increased level cap but 100 feels like somewhat of a landmark so I don't mind in this case. The region of West Gondor itself is pretty as hell, valleys, villages, rivers and beacon-hills and some impressive structures throughout, Dol Amroth in particular is a hell of a sight. I actually found the stories were a bit disappointing after the brilliance of Western Rohan which had heartbreak at every turn, Western Gondor feels a bit pedestrian by comparison.

As a free update it's good stuff again though, and the lure of perfecting my captains legendary greatsword is as strong as ever.

post-63-0-55052000-1405955622_thumb.jpg

As I said in the general mmo thread, this was the MMO I thought would take me away from WoW when it was first announced (one MMO to rule them all?), but it just never gripped me. I've tried again a few times in the years since because I love the world of LOTR, the lore, the characters and a chance to play through all that is exciting, but each time I give up before I've gotten out of the start zone. Such a shame. :(

Something I tried to explain to a friend the other night who has a similar opinion to you, is that while I love the original content (1-50) and revisiting it is always a joy, its nostalgic more than anything else, as it's obviously the most dated part of the game.

It's hard to explain but the latter content is much more engaging. I'm not sure if it's where the classes are much more fleshed out and the combat is better. It could be the writing generally is much stronger and there are very interesting quest-lines in every region. It could be mounted combat which is remarkably good and makes traversal of the latter areas a real joy. It could be that areas were designed with ambient quest bestowal in mind and so have a nicer flow to them. It could be all of those things!

I guess my point is if you enjoy the early stuff you're in for a real treat later on (though Angmar remains one of my favourite zones), and if you DON'T enjoy the early stuff then there might be some joy for you later on, as there is a definite shift in quality as far as i'm concerned. Purists may prefer classic early LOTRO but for me almost everything they've added over the years has improved the game, the only thing that has fallen short is dungeon design over the original Shadows of Angmar content, which was incredibly good.