IGNORED

Assassin's Creed

barkbat

Got some proper game rage last night. Playing the mission where you need to kill the chap at the docks, having to jump from boat to boat. ANNOYING.

You don't have to kill him that way. I alerted the guards when I was near him and he legged into the city to a guard tower. You have an assassination coming up where you go to a graveyard. If you think you've had game rage then you ain't seen nothing yet. When I tried to get the assassination out of the actual graveyard to combat the dodgy camera and lock on issues I was having, the game reset my target and I was back to square one. This combination of fuck ups lead me to throwing a dvd remote against the wall - twice.

As for Diggler liking those relentless big arse fights towards the end personally I can't believe I'm facing a huge amount of opponents in small areas that have extremely irritating invisible walls (that are actually technically visisble but you know what I mean). My opponents can run in and out of these 'walls' but I can't. I'll not mention the issues I'm having in these fights with the tempremental lock on and counter system. It is a good game but it feels like it has outstayed its welcome. Great engine, lovely graphics, different controls but just far too long. I would think my completition time will be 20 hours+ and that's way to much.

The pick-pocketing and eavesdropping are two of the worst game play elements I've ever been forced to progress with.

Pick-pocketing extra knives is fine, but the actually making missions around them if a bit crap.

I think most of the gameplay elements are fine when they crop up in some freeform way - assassinating an archer to get across their roof, pickpocketing thugs for knives, freerunning across rooftops after getting spotted. Only the fighting seems to be a bit pointless - it's so much easier just to leg it and hide.

The first hour isn't really representative of the rest of the game FWIW.

This is incredibly true. It pains me to think people have passed this game up on the basis of a shit first hour that's all about plot exposition and shitty tutorials.

I'm going to say it again, because it bears repeating till it finally sinks in with someone: this game is incredibly misunderstood. It's actually far better designed than anyone gives it credit for, and if I weren't in such a rush to get out the door, I'd stay and expand on that. For now, it suffices to say that if you're not making a point of reaching every viewpoint (and by extension, completing all aspects of an investigation) you can't possibly be enjoying it as much as I did.

This is incredibly true. It pains me to think people have passed this game up on the basis of a shit first hour that's all about plot exposition and shitty tutorials.

I'm going to say it again, because it bears repeating till it finally sinks in with someone: this game is incredibly misunderstood. It's actually far better designed than anyone gives it credit for, and if I weren't in such a rush to get out the door, I'd stay and expand on that. For now, it suffices to say that if you're not making a point of reaching every viewpoint (and by extension, completing all aspects of an investigation) you can't possibly be enjoying it as much as I did.

I do that as a matter of course and actually find it quite a relaxing experience as previously noted but it is still a shallow experience when you consider what the visuals deserve. So much craft in this game it's extraordinary, but still a massive shame that the mission design & character interaction in particular let it down so badly.

I do that as a matter of course and actually find it quite a relaxing experience as previously noted but it is still a shallow experience when you consider what the visuals deserve. So much craft in this game it's extraordinary, but still a massive shame that the mission design & character interaction in particular let it down so badly.

Here here.

My Mass Effect promo didn't arrive so it's off to town to swap my (also purchased) Aassassin's Creed for a copy. Shame, I had such high hopes for it too! Ho-hum.

Yes, this.

To be honest, I feel that all the people who are slagging this game should open their eyes more and see that this is an incredible detailed game which had lots and lots of work put into. The first hour tutorial sucks balls, but the rest is good, very good.

To be honest, I feel that all the people who are slagging this game should open their eyes more and see that this is an incredible detailed game which had lots and lots of work put into.

So we're down to "it's not stupid, YOU'RE stupid"? C'mon. The major complaints are pretty undeniable; it's just some people won't be bothered by them and others aren't willing to punt 12-15 hours into a game that's not hitting the spot. AC has some great moments in it as far as I'd played, but after the first proper assassination (four hours into the game) I wasn't feeling like it was the sort of game I could sink a week into. It was too easy and too long-winded at the same time. Maybe it gets better; maybe the cities get huge and you get to play around in more complex environments and the combat stops sucking. I'm not wasting ten hours finding out at the moment tho. Maybe next year.

So we're down to "it's not stupid, YOU'RE stupid"?

I wasn't saying that. I'm just implying that there's loads of little nice touches in the game that are just enjoyable to me. The leaps of faith, the way you can almost climb on everything very fluidly, the animation of Altair where he slides past people when it get's too crowded, the way you can be somewhere really up high, turn the camera around like you want and admire the beautiful view, etc etc. If all of this does nothing for you, then obviously the game is not for you. Nothing to do with you being stupid. We're all different and we all have different opinions.

I wasn't saying that. I'm just implying that there's loads of little nice touches in the game that are just enjoyable to me. The leaps of faith, the way you can almost climb on everything very fluidly, the animation of Altair where he slides past people when it get's too crowded, the way you can be somewhere really up high, turn the camera around like you want and admire the beautiful view, etc etc. If all of this does nothing for you, then obviously the game is not for you. Nothing to do with you being stupid. We're all different and we all have different opinions.

Ah, that's fine. I thought you were going for the hoary old "these people can't see the awesomeness, only us geniuses can and trully appreciate the game's majesty" line. If I was 17 and had the time I had then I'd be all over this, but it seems so... dull. I've jumped into 40 haybales! Gimme something new! A fountain!

I'd be interested in reading the opinions on this game from the hardcore ICO and SOTC fans. I know that Creed is more violence orientaded than ICO and SOTC but the exploring element and the graphical engine of Creed reminds me a lot of ICO and SOTC.

I'd be interested in reading the opinions on this game from the hardcore ICO and SOTC fans.

You just did. :) I think if it was less prescribed I might like it more, or if they didn't say what youd had to do to organise the assassinations (to make things interesting).

OK just finished it and thoughts? I find the 7/10 scores about right. It's a good game with some good ideas and an interesting story, but is massively repetetive and several parts of it are FUCKING ANNOYING.

The two most annoying things in it I fins are two members of the crowd. Those are the women beggars and the crazy/drunk men. When I'm trying to follow someone to pickpocket or shiv you can gurantee they'll be at least one of the above or more. The women get in your way and the only decent way to get away from them is to run, which will either make you lose your target or draw attention to yourself. Meanwhile the crazy men are just fucking annoying since if you get too close they'll start shoving you, and nine times out of ten they'll keep shoving you cos you're in a bloody alley and there's very little room to manoeuvre, that's if they don't shove you into a fucking guard who takes issue with YOU rather than the nutball who caused the unwarranted bodily contact in the first place. Oh and why do they only shove Altair and leave everyone else along? It was mostly these fuckers that caused me to fail the "shiv X amount of guards in x amount of minutes" missions.

My other issue is with the ending.

First off who saw the whole "my master is actually the leader of the evil people" coming right away? I swear I saw this coming from damn near the first mission of the game.

Anyway, main annoynace? You get the ending with the spinny alien/whatever thing. Get zapped back to the future and do your whole "eagle eye" thing to view the writing in your room. End credits yes? Watched the credits because in games like this there's always a movie after the credits. So I watch and then I get the "vision of futures past" or whatever achievement. Nothing else. Quite annoying!

I'd be interested in reading the opinions on this game from the hardcore ICO and SOTC fans. I know that Creed is more violence orientaded than ICO and SOTC but the exploring element and the graphical engine of Creed reminds me a lot of ICO and SOTC.

As someone that really enjoyed and completed ICO I have to say Assassins Creed bares absolutely no resemblance to ICO at all. ICO is all about the stark architecture and the feeling of being isolated. Assassins Creed takes place in busy Middle Eastern cities! It feels like a cross between Crackdown, Hitman and Splinter Cell. Three games which obviously have nothing in common with ICO.

Assassin's Creed is poop. It's boring, repetitive, and it's definitely not the free-roaming slice of gaming genius we were promised. Even the big 'gene memory' twist can't save it, providing us with a contrived real-world scenario that basically acts as an elaborate level-select screen. The combat is one-dimensional, the exploration is plain dull, and the cut-scenes practicallty destroy the flow of the game. Spread the word: Assassin's Creed is massively disappointing!

The assassinations are vastly pointless, and the constant glitches spoil everything. The truth hurts.. and you can discover it in our full review next issue.

(from Play magazine)

I had really mixed feelings about this game. The first half was great enjoyable but i did have a fw concerns about some things but the joy of free runnning and amazing visuals managed to distract me from them. Then everything just changed and it started irritating me. Mainly because awareness was increased to a point where in order to avoid detection you had to walk at a snails pace which made the informer assassination missions a pain, especially with the begars and wandering mad man even more of a nuisance. I no longer wanted to do these missions because after you did 3 you didn't need to do any more and the game didnt really push you to do at as all missions can be thought out just by looking at the landscape surrounding the target. However the final assassination and the ending mission did redeem it for me. All of a sudden i started to experiment with combat. Sure you can just sit back and counter your way through the game but i found pulling off attacks quickly switching between enemies provided a much more satisfying experiance. I found that gaurds blocks were not set to block your attacks 100% of the time and taking out foes who were vomiting at seeing there slain friends was really satisfying. Maybe it's just me but doing this made combat much faster and grittier. maybe it was because there was the risk of being hit easier creating the sense of a challenge that was absent throught the entire game but it does allow you to play the game how you like rather than being told how to play it. All in all it was pretty dissapointing and as said previously very predictable and alot of elements seemed unfinnished especially the future parts. These parts just felt empty and you got the feeling there was supposed to be more done with it. you felt like you had an investigation to do but it was removed from the final copy of the game. All in all i agree the game was dissapointing but has alot of promise for future titles and was still an enjoyable game while it lasted

I'm finding it difficult to play for any length of time. I really like the idea of playing ("Ooooh - I know, I'll play Assassin's Creed!"), but after about 10 minutes or so I start to find it tiresome and feel no enthusiasm to continue. It looks lovely - but it's not a lot of fun.

The free running is a good idea, but isn't anywhere near as much fun as jumping around in Crackdown, or Galleon (am I the only one who liked it?) I find it a bit temperamental - he'll climb to a certain point and stop - meaning I have to shimmy along, which I do. But when I try to climb again I somehow end up jumping backwards and falling into a crowd on the pavement - then guards end up chasing me. I don't feel that I'm really in control of his movements.

Just did the third assassination and I am really loving the game a lot, though it's not to say I don't have some issues with it. The beggars and the crazy guys are fucking annoying. Also I can see when I do a few more assassinations that it will become repetitive. Though the weird thing is I have more fun around the kingdom than in the cities. Overall I'm having a blast playing it.

I've been reading through this thread (and I have literally just finished the game) and I'm realising this is suffering from what I'm now going to call "Space Giraffe Syndrome" which is that despite a long tutorial sequence, it still doesn't do a good job of explaining the rules.

For example, people seem to be struggling to understand when they can run around the city with impunity, and when they have to sneak (you don't have to blend very often at all.) People seem to be finding the beggars and madmen annoying (which they are, but not quite as frustrating as they appear to be for some of you, and again I think this is because people aren't realising how straightforward it is to get past them.)

I think there's very valid criticisms of the actual game to be made about the lack of variety in missions, the proscription in how they have to be carried out, and the lack of opportunity for silent entrances/exits - and I think the end sequence shows a severe lack of imagination (not the plot, the structure) - but the rest of it, I think sums up as "game doesn't explain its rules very well", leaving you either struggling to indifferent.

Mind you, I really enjoyed it despite its flaws, so I'm probably biased. But the ending's a bit abrupt, isn't it?

For example, people seem to be struggling to understand when they can run around the city with impunity, and when they have to sneak (you don't have to blend very often at all.) People seem to be finding the beggars and madmen annoying (which they are, but not quite as frustrating as they appear to be for some of you, and again I think this is because people aren't realising how straightforward it is to get past them.)

I usually punch them and they run away. Works for me!