People to avoid on ebay..

Although I've only really started selling my stuff for a few months in message boards, I've found that no matter what price you put on your stuff, people will always ask for a lower price. The only times I haven't been asked was the sub £10 games, even then some still ask for a lower price i.e £7>£5.

That changed me, now I try to haggle as well, simply because everyone does it to me.

Luckily though I haven't had people haggle me on Ebay, but a few did ask for a end it now price.

Personally I don't mind as long as its not something stupid like £20 off something. Like I had a brand new SD Under Defeat with poster, Mcd and sticker for sale, one offered £35 and another one offered £40 including delivery!

imo Sometimes haggling is needed as some people's prices are a bit over the top including myself, for me and a few people its probably because we don't know the games prices well enough.

It does kind of get you down sometimes when you get a nice email to say someone has replied to your sales thread and then its just something like that.

Oddly enough, that's where I completely disagree. If you put something second-hand up for sale, you should expect to haggle the price a bit - in fact that's most of the game.

Obviously someone selling something for £70 and someone offering £40 is just plain stupid, but the point of haggling is for both sides to feel good about the sale, because the seller hasn't gone below what they feel good about selling it for, and the buyer feels like they've had some control over the price. It's win-win! (Usually)

Or am I missing the point of selling something in a free forum, which is a privilege - not a right? If you get pissed off because somebody tries to cut a deal for a couple of quid off, you should probably run back to eBay like the crybaby you are, or perhaps you should have asked a higher price in anticipation of offers being made.

Oh, and for the record, generally I will haggle, but if someone has put a genuinely good price on something, I'll just pay the asking price - I see no need for pointless haggling when somebody clearly wants to shift something on and it would be insulting to ask anything less - case in point, I bought a copy of Megaman X8 at the asking price on this very forum only the other day :( However, I only trawl the forum for things I actually want.

I will totally agree with all the points about people who use lame excuses like "it's my son's birthday" :( I've had that a couple of times. I don't get it - is this supposed to make me care? I only use that tactic if I'm in a shop and I want the assistant to see if there are any sealed untouched copies, rather than the ones where the manual/discs have been gutted out of the box (read: Game and Tesco)

There was a case only a couple of weeks ago of a guy buying a 360 game from me I didn't want on BIN, only to pay by Paypal and then immediately request a Paypal chargeback 2 hours later. I'm so f***ing glad I didn't post that out, but it really scares me how easily you can be screwed over on Paypal if you don't use recorded delivery tracking :(

I saw a reply to a thread this week asking for pictures of an item which was advertised as "mint boxed as new"

Surely the description is pretty explanatory that the item is in perfect condtion. If you wanna see a pic look in the Argos book!!

We all try and knock a couple of quid off here or there if we can, thats not what I was saying, if you read back the examples I gave its when people offer a lot less or try and vindicate the low offer with some lame excuse.

If for example a 360 game is for sale on here for £25, why bother to offer £15, as I have had done to me in the past, when you can wander to GS and get £25 trade or £20 for it without paying any Paypal fees or postage, but an offer of say £22 would not to me be taking the piss

Or am I missing the point of selling something in a free forum, which is a privilege - not a right? If you get pissed off because somebody tries to cut a deal for a couple of quid off, you should probably run back to eBay like the crybaby you are, or perhaps you should have asked a higher price in anticipation of offers being made.

But people like to make out this is a community and that ebay/higher prices are not welcome.

I can well understand the frustration when items are priced to sell, people low ball with "can I have it for XXX" when you've already reduced the price and then whinge about paying PP or P&P.

Some people are just tight.. I remember trying to sell some of my Xbox boxed sets here - £15 each no takers, just people who wanted them for a tenner all in, pp & P&P .

I got £35 each on ebay....

But people like to make out this is a community and that ebay/higher prices are not welcome.

Ah, but there is an important distinction.

If you sell at a high price here because "that's what it'd go for on eBay", you're just insulting everyone's intelligence. The fact is, you're selling here because it's more convenient - you can post a thread unbelievably fast compared to listing on eBay, there are no fees involved whatsoever, and generally the people likely to buy from you here are more community minded and less likely to give you hassle (PAL/NTSC morons, etc.)

If you simply sell at a high price because that's genuinely what you would only let it go for, that's entirely your decision. The fact is, the price you set will be responded to by the amount of interest you get in return - after all, nobody has to pay your price if they don't want to, and people are bound to try and haggle.

I totally agree on the notion, though, that lowballing is just as insulting to a seller's intelligence as it is to buyers when sellers quote eBay ad nausium selling away from eBay. Pisses me off even more so at boot fairs, where quite blatantly they're selling at a boot fair because they're lazy bastiches who don't want to spend all their time playing with eBay's search engine.. or they just don't have the first clue about PCs.

The fact is, though, that people who are lowballing by your standards are there to be laughed at briefly, then shrugged off and ignored because, ultimately, who cares if they want something for nothing? And certainly you aren't obligated to give them your wares at such a dirt cheap price :(

• 1 year later...
I saw a reply to a thread this week asking for pictures of an item which was advertised as "mint boxed as new"

Surely the description is pretty explanatory that the item is in perfect condtion. If you wanna see a pic look in the Argos book!!

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret:

When I ask someone to "post pix pls" in the trading thread it's to PROVE that they have the item for sale. I normally ask it of anyone with 250 or less posts.

I suspect that others do the same?

See also : other people's idea of "mint" does not equal mine.

Indeed. I've been had by that before.

I won an auction for a 'mint' boxed PAL version of The Addams Family for the SNES. The game arrived, and it looked like the box had been stood on.

I emailed the seller saying "I thought you said this was mint. The box is in awful condition".

Their reply was "I was referring to the cartridge".

From that day on I've never put a bid on an item unless I've seen a photo of it.

It's the insignificance of some lowballing that bugs me. Invariably you'll put something up for, say £10, and someone will offer you £9 for it. If you put it up for £8 they'll offer £7. That bothers me more than a completely ridiculous offer.

I had all of my retro gaming collection on ebay over the past month. And I had so many ridiculous offers.

The "its for my son thing was pulled quite a few times"

"Will you take £2.50 for Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast".

ermm. no

Sold for over £20 in the end.

Ebay is full of cheeky bastards.

Just to balance things out a bit, I had a woman contacting me asking about ending an item early for their childs birthday. For some reason it all seemed a bit more genuine than others, so I put a BIN on the auction which she promptly dived at and paid - paying £4 more than the previous highest in completed items. All went through fine with everyone happy.

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret:

When I ask someone to "post pix pls" in the trading thread it's to PROVE that they have the item for sale. I normally ask it of anyone with 250 or less posts.

I suspect that others do the same?

Thats up to a mod to do, not you. I've noticed that a lot and you are 1. wasting peoples time, and 2. going against forum rules.

:( WTF? SeanR uses common sense to avoid potential problems with trading and someone's against it?

It should be a forum rule to provide pictures on request if it isn't already. Again, :angry: .

This is a thred about Ebay and Sean posted about the trading folder. :rolleyes: