A traditional English breakfast

Meers

Fried onions go well with a breakfast. Also, I'd recommend proper tomatoes (cut in half and fried) rather than tinned plum tomatoes, plum tomatoes don't belong on the same plate as baked beans.

What's the name of that place at your end of the country that does those amazing breakfasts? it's in Heaton isn't it? Howells would know the name.. Anyway, It's fucking amazing. The Scottish breakfasts are un-finishable.

It's on Chillingham Road, but I don't know which place it was. I stayed at the flat with my kids.

There's a bit of a tradition in Tyneside to put the full breakfast in half a stottie. They're bloody massive and take some eating. Plus, because there's so much bread involved you end up really thirsty afterwards. Good if you want to neck a few pints quickly.

A stottie...

stottie.jpg

Mushrooms I don't mind, nearly always an option arent they :wub:

But Bread, it has to be Toast for me, Bread just seems wrong for a cooked breakfast.

One thing my mates misses does is mix Brown AND Red Sauce, don't get that, yet I've not tried it and don't fancy it.

What's the name of that place at your end of the country that does those amazing breakfasts? it's in Heaton isn't it? Howells would know the name.. Anyway, It's fucking amazing. The Scottish breakfasts are un-finishable.

There's Belle and Herbs in Heaton/Jesmond. Very, very nice.

What he's talking about doesn't sound like a clootie dumpling at all. This is a clootie dumpling, he's just having fried fruit cake

6oz self raising flour

6oz brown breadcrumps

6oz suet

1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon ginger

4oz currants

6oz sultanas

4oz soft dark brown sugar

2 tablespoons syrup

1.5 cups milk or milk stout

Place your cloot in boiling water. Mix all the ingredients together with the milk to make a fairly soft consistency. Make sure everything is mixed well. Take the cloot out of the water and wring, then lay it out flat and dredge well with flour. Smooth the flour over the cloot with your hands to get an even spread. Place the mixture on the cloot, draw it together evenly, leaving room for expansion, and tie the cloot with string.

Put a plate in the bottom of the pot, and the cloot with the mixture on top of that. Use a large pot, big enough to allow covering the dumpling with water. That way there will be no need to top up through the cooking.

Simmer the dumpling for two to three hours. Remove from the pot and put in a colander in the sink. Untie the string and gently pull the corners of the cloot apart. Put a plate over the dumpling in the colander and whip it over. Carefully peel the cloot away from one corner and you should have a champion dumpling :-)

You missed the final part of that. The bit where it falls to bits after you remove the cloot, followed by much swearing and screams of "how the f*ck did my maw do it?".

My favourite food and still the only thing I've attempted to make that I just don't seem to be able to do. Oh, and frying dumpling is criminal, best just eat it as it is, don't waste it in a breakfast.