The Ultimate Cheesecake?

An interesting one this week, hence the question mark. Interesting in that my first attempt went completely wrong! In trying to scale up the recipe I added one too many eggs, and not enough sugar. The result? Eggy Custard! So I tried again, and this time it turned out much better, although I still think it can be improved.

So, the ingredients:

100g butter – melted (99p for a pack)
200g biscuits – crushed (Digestives – 47p, or Duchy Original Shortbread - £1.99, or your biscuit of choice!)
--------------------
140g caster sugar (63p for 500g)
2 level tablespoons of cornflour (55p for 250g)
525g Cream Cheese (£1.75 for a 300g pack of Philadelphia)
75ml creme fraiche (72p for 250ml)
3 eggs (£1.89 for 6 free range)
Zest of one lemon (£1.29 for 4 x unwaxed lemons)
Teaspoon of vanilla (£3.29 for 2 x real vanilla pods! Or good quality vanilla extract)

CheesecakeIngredients.jpg

First off, set the butter melting in a small pan:

MeltingButter.jpg

Put the biscuits in a blender and crumb them up, or bash them up in a bag with a rolling pin:

Biscuits1.jpg

Biscuits2.jpg

Grease your baking tin with some butter (I just use the packet the butter came in). Combine the biscuits with the melted butter, and press the mixture firmly into your baking tin. Pop this in the oven for 10 minutes, leave to cool, then chill in the fridge.

Now the cheesecake mix itself. If using fresh vanilla, split the pods lengthways, and scrape out the black seeds, like this:

Vanilla2.jpg

Truth be told though, this didn't really give me enough, so I used a teaspoon of vanilla extract too.

Add the vanilla to all the other ingredients, and blend until smooth. I did this by hand, but you can use a food processor if you like.

Cheesecakemix.jpg

BeatenMix.jpg

Take the biscuit base out of the fridge, and pour the cheesecake mixture on top.

Bowl.jpg

Cover the tin loosely with foil, and bake in the oven at 130 degrees. After an hour, turn the oven off, open the door, and let the cheesecake cool gradually. When it’s cool enough, put it in the fridge to chill.

And here it is, yummy cheesecake! I like some simple pouring cream on mine.

FinishedCheesecake1.jpg

FinishedCheesecake2.jpg

FinishedCheesecake3.jpg

You know, I didn't really fancy cheesecake. But I'm really glad we chose it, I've had loads of fun making it, and the results in the end were very tasty. Apart from anything else, the initial disaster reminded me to taste things as you cook, and how to refine things with each attempt. I’m not sure it’s the “Ultimate” yet, I suspect I overcooked it slightly, but it’s a good start. Thanks to everyone who posted their recipes, esp Rebs, Wickedkitten and Aleeta. I’d be interested to see your efforts if anyone fancies a stab at this any time soon.

It was 8 inches across. Came out about the size of one you would buy in the shops, maybe slightly bigger. Bear in mind that's a ginormous bowl.

Love the fruit action there WK - Be nice to see a slice of it, got any more pics?

I'll probably make it again for my birthday this year as I don't like traditional birthday cakes so I'll take a proper pic in about 3 weeks.

It's basically just the recipe with from the other thread but with shortbread for the base, and white chocolate G&B with the fruit on top. It was yummy.

I don't even like tis and they both look good. This is going to be a tricky one - I'm going to make 1 as a surprise for my other half this week - but not really liking / knowing how it should taste its going to be an adventure. I like the idea of she loads of Strawberries on top - I love those and I'll be doing a fair bit of "tasting".

I was in the same boat. I like cheesecake, but it's not one of my driving food passions. I had a vague idea that I wanted it to taste like the NY Cheesecakes you can get in the shops (Do Entemanns make them?), but otherwise I was flying blind. The first attempt really was awful, I thought I was going to have to call it off this week, but luckily the second attempt had that sweet, slightly lemony, vanilla cheesecake flavour and texture, and I knew it was right as soon as I took a bite. The over-coloured top was a result of too long in the oven, and I think it would also have been a bit lighter if I'd taken it out sooner, but it's still very "cheesecakey".

Still, back to savoury next week, eh?

It looks really great. What did the biscuit base taste like?

And what made you give it ten minutes in the oven before you chilled it? (seeing as it was about to have an hour in the oven)

I guess, although the recipe says bake for an hour, I always check things quite closely and aim for that 'still wobbly in the middle' stage that I mentioned, which might have it ready in 40-45 minutes, depending on your oven. Electric ovens and especiallly fan ovens are quicker to cook things than gas.

Still it's on the verge of ultimatism as a simple, plain, baked traditional cheescake :( And your photos are their usual stunning selves.

Edit: Sorry, you've talked about the base while I was typing.

Ah yes, I took that bit from another recipe. I didn't do it for take one, and it made the base extra crunchy.

I wasn't brave enough re. the cooking time. When it was at the wobbly stage I should have turned the oven off, as presumably the set finishes as it cools, and in the fridge. Consequently I cooked it until completely set, which gave it a quite dense finish.

When I do it again (and I will), I'll try taking your approach.

Thanks for all the reassurance and advice by the way Rebs. :(

I'm making one with my recipe in a bit, I'll POST PICS!

Actually, I'm going to change my base recipe a bit, I've looked into graham crackers and they're basically the same as digestives but made with honey and cinnamon so instead of sugar in the base I'll add honey and a bit of cinnamon. Should be lush!

OOPS! This is Aleeta-1 not Strobes!

Not really a critique or anything, but do you think that's a bit complex for a cheesecake? I made many, many cheesecakes for my Food Technology GCSE (somewhere in the region of 15 different recipes, I think, from all time periods!) and I found that simple = best.

Edit: does look really nice though. Not trying to be a grumpy bastard. Honest.

Nobody asked me to do a cheesecake, eh, eh?! Bit busy at the mo', will be free by Friday. Will have a go at making some more and I'll post a successful one up. I used to make a rather successful strawberry one, so I did.

Baking cheesecakes is a bit... old-fashioned, I guess, but several recipes require it. You might also find that some require gelatine too!

Why did you put it in the oven? Is this normal for a cheesecake?

It doesn't say that in the thread that Kit made for the SUYA cheesecake

Yes, it's normal for a baked cheesecake. We discussed recipes in the main thread all last week, and this is the one I went with. I daresay there are millions of different methods, although I wasn't aware there was a "no-cook" method.

By the way, I'm not necessarily the "expert" in these threads you know. This is the first cheesecake I've ever made.

I made plenty of cheesecakes that didn't have to be cooked and set plenty firm after being in the fridge for an hour or two. Again, this was years ago, so I'll have to go recipe hunting. Might do a choccie one as well.

When I made the SUYA cheesecake of Kits, the 'cheese' part was a bit sloppy more like a cream and not 'set' enough. What did I do wrong?

I had the exact same problem with the SUYA cheesecake, the result was pretty disappointing. I'll probably be trying this recipe at some point, assuming I can find some willing guinea pigs.

When I made the SUYA cheesecake of Kits, the 'cheese' part was a bit sloppy more like a cream and not 'set' enough. What did I do wrong?

Usually when I make mine, I use a whisk to mix together the cream, cream cheese and sugar and as a result, it is almost at a set consistancy before I even put it on top on the base.

Probably best to ask since they shove the useful stuff in all manner of bizarre places. I think the last time I bought some in Sainsbury's it was next to the coffee. A simple, traditional cheesecake recipe has maybe 2 teaspoons of gelatine for a 500-600gish mixture. Dissolve it and then strain it into the mixture halfway through beating. Try checking out a traditional recipe and then comparing the two and adapting - I'm not looking at kit's and judging by her response she might beat it specifically to produce a good setting pudding, so it might need to be adjusted. Give it a go though.