IGNORED

Audio Club

Rowan Morrison

I've got some Focal CMS40 monitors that since I went up to CMS65's I just haven't used. It's time to accept that I'm not going to set up a multi output system and compare mixes through different monitors. 

Is anyone here in the market for a pair of Monitors? PM if interested.

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/focal-professional-cms-40-compact-monitors-266404

That's a biggie. I nearly bought Reason last year but the fact you couldn't use VST put me off; they were selling loads of extra plugins for silly money on their site. Tons of decent free VST plugins out there. It would make the initial purchase of Reason a lot more inviting.

Generally since buying a fully proper copy of Abletom Live I've noticed this secondary economy around these bigs music software suites: training, plugins, loops, samples. You spend £400 on the software, and everyone wants even more money off you for a reverb or some drums. It just feels like everyone is trying to make money and it depresses me. So people who make free VST plugins are heroes, frankly.

That Reason upgrade is good, but sadly a little late IMO. I bought Reason at V8 and run Reaper now which is far better for workflow.

Also i wonder how they'll solve the instability issues with VST's.

They should have done this years ago really. Theres so many DAWS now..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sort of went off the boil making tunes and started again recently. Found it weird having to get back up to speed again. Did do a remix of a mates tune on the Polybius soundtrack though it's ended up pretty different:

Otherwise a few loops / doodles. Will likely pick one of them to expand on.

In other news, just ordered a Digitakt :D

I've started to make some tracks to replace the music in the game factorio. I originally wanted to write a mod, but had no idea where to start, so I started making the tracks in the meantime. It turns out that there's already a mod that does this with some other tracks, so I'm hoping that I can re-use their code if they're agreeable to that idea. In the game you're crash landed on a planet with pretty much just a spanner, and you have to build a factory to produce the components to build a rocket and escape. The music in it is ok, but there isn't a huge amount of it, and after my 447 hours played I get a bit tired of the same themes. So anyway, here's factorio001, just need to finish a load more now.

This isn't my version. Siblings hacked into the Soundcloud and deleted everything but one of my Korg DS-10 albums, but there's a much better version of Do What You Want in the video for Artrave that sounds way more Korgy like the original. Lots of Kaos pad jamming.

Popstars are pretty insecure you know, so I'm putting it here that maybe they'll get some praise that they didn't pay billboard100 to say like sound robots. They've added some nice strings ontop, so like... 'hey those are some kick ass strings' would add a lot to their self worth. And then maybe they'll stop nicking my stuff and release a nice string album. You never know.

Or maybe it works the other way and my Korg music sucks because it isn't Aphex Twin enough anymore. You can never win in this world, sigh - _ -

If you're interested, latest Humble Bundle features Sony Soundforge 10 in the $12 tier. It's a decent sample editor, goes for about $60 normally. You do get a load of other crap like Panda Antivirus and other non-audio software.

On 2017-6-25 at 11:03, Wahwah* said:

Is anyone using Windows for Music creation/audio work? 

I'm thinking about switching over to Win10 and Pro Tools from OSX and Logic/Audition. 

Windows is all I've ever used (Cubase). I used a little Mac/Logic during Uni but didn't care for it much.

There's something I want, that I think should exist, but I have no idea if it does.

So, say I have a midi file open in my workstation. Normally I could activate the effects, and put a vsti in there, and it'll play the notes that are on the midi file.

What I want to be able to do, is to tell it "every time I play note X, play wav. file 1", so, for example, every time I play C5, play this wav recording of a guitar playing C. But also every time I play G5, play this wav recording of someone singing the note G. So, not like a pitch shifter controlled by the midi file (although that's something else I want to use), something that causes recorded files to play - that I've assigned manually.

cockos Reaper isn't free but its bloody cheap and handles VST. 

You might want to look into that - beware its a bit technical at first. I can help out with bits.

If you can get to grips with it, you'll have pretty much learnt any sequencer.