Audio Club

Rowan Morrison

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but:

I've just got into playing around with Garageband, making some beats and loops. Having a lot of fun but I'm I'm not sure what the best way forward is – it's overwhelming how much you can do. So far I've just made loads of little bits of things: drum loops, synth patterns etc but nothing really "finished".

Should I focus on a. trying to duplicate an existing song, b. trying to create some sort of cover version or c. try to create something original?

The one thing I want to avoid is buying kit. But there's a lot of temptation out there 

I'd suggest at first just do whatever makes you happy! I've never been one for covers, but my best music pal loves doing them. If you think it'd help you learn the software, give it a go. The important thing is to keep using it and finding new stuff/getting better at what you are doing.

54 minutes ago, Blunted said:

I'd suggest at first just do whatever makes you happy! I've never been one for covers, but my best music pal loves doing them. If you think it'd help you learn the software, give it a go. The important thing is to keep using it and finding new stuff/getting better at what you are doing.

Will do thanks.

• 1 month later...

Week off work, having a major clear-out. Unearthed a CD-R dated November 1999. This was from some time in 1999 when I was at uni, had just my PC and a tracker, I guess it's inspired by Robbie Williams' Millennium. The original was a bit quiet so gave it a remaster. 

On 07/08/2020 at 19:37, Frankie Lee said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but:

I've just got into playing around with Garageband, making some beats and loops. Having a lot of fun but I'm I'm not sure what the best way forward is – it's overwhelming how much you can do. So far I've just made loads of little bits of things: drum loops, synth patterns etc but nothing really "finished".

Should I focus on a. trying to duplicate an existing song, b. trying to create some sort of cover version or c. try to create something original?

The one thing I want to avoid is buying kit. But there's a lot of temptation out there 

Make the sort of music you want to hear, do it because you enjoy doing it and it gives you that good feeling of creativity. Try not to think about how people will receive your music or whether people will want to listen, that way lies madness. Covers are a good way to learn the ropes without having to come up with tunes, but trying to turn a loop into a song, even a very simple song, is a hurdle a lot of musicians have difficulty getting over. You have to push it a bit, even a 2-minute groove with variations on the loop is a song, so try that.

And yes, avoid the Toolbox Fallacy as much as you can, that is thinking that more gear, more plugins, more software will make you a better musician, when just using what you have to make great music is more important.

You just have to have fun, go in simple and add to it, don't take on too much and go with it.

The audio play within this is an alternative middle section to End of Evangelion, in which an additional Lazytown unit stalks around in the forest using Solid Snake type stuff, incapacitates both Shinji and Asuka via a particular neck-nerve destruction, and then activating both of their AT fields, throws them up into the sky to nullify both the M2 mines and Eva series. It was the sort of thing NATO staff agreed to do to each other under atomic war protocol, to ensure we don't all die in horrible fires. True story, but members of English Military Police are contractually obligated to die at age 17 to ensure nobody tries to overthrow the country by being too good, so even though this doesn't happen in a literal sense anymore, you're legally classified and thus obligated to be treated as a dead body. Oh, and we also get taught a technique to stop cellular motion in our own bodies, after 20 minutes of which you do ago through physical necrosis to some extent. I believe this was something that developed out of Vietnam to convince people you were KIA, and thus make it home to your mom in one piece. Yay.

Most of the Lazytown album is Skrillex2 and contains a lot of still very exotic physics experiments. Another less catchy version of this is the album Blackstar by Bowie. This is btw largely what I looked and acted like age 10, so in other words Kai is psychologically screened to be massively cheerful and psychological stable, before life gets them down. Most of the mo-cap is actually myself from age 23, while I have to say the outfits and colour schemes are amazingly shit, and a slight humiliation, most likely from MoD ground infantry (note the word infant appears in this, you can normally get them to cry like a toddler quite easily, which is why nobody made them extinct over the centuries - this actually works better for national defense than an orbital laser defense platform anyway).

Edit: Apparently Lazytown is banned by His Divine Shadow or something, for too much cool-physics. I'll keep looking.

Yeah so this one is from the CD, but someone put it through a sonic filter to remove a lot of frequencies. If anyone wants the original, I can put it on Archive.org or something. Censorship of stuff already released isn't a principle that works, so we merely pretend that this sort of thing is happening (Kai department is over 1000 years old). Amazingly enough, but Youtube (CIA) restored this version of the video in the last few minutes, probably because an AI node somewhere recognised that I'm being sensible. I mean, the CD is already sitting on people's shelves and ipods, so why bother.

Edit: This is incorrect mocap for myself and indicates to the public that I'm not fundamentally 'kawai' and unthreatening to children, as per the NATO contract agreement with members of the public. Is thus invalidates the American constitution and several others... so we'll ignore the CIA being silly people and go with an album version someone else than Youtube. One moment...

Okay so hopefully this version remains computational stable (doesn't get altered). The picture of me is reasonable enough not to stress the war department of the Catholic Church and whoever else they deal with, while the accoustics of this are good enough for Dubstep2 type enjoyment. Like I said, I can upload an ISO somewhere if anyone truly cares about Dubstep2 type things. Edit: I also have the actual album somewhere on my old engineering tower built with Royce, but most of this stuff just sounds like washing machines and radio static, still a bit futuristic for most people.

Edit: Assuming anyone cares about this either, the Kremlin chief who never nuked the northern hemisphere into molten slag plays Robbie Rotten and performs one of these songs, about sneaky little tricks etc.

Edit: For legal reasons, the Lazytown protaganist face is a reconstructed age 10, but the body is 23 years old actually. The nexus of different ideas helped to prevent a war... somewhere or other between... between who the hell even knows. Big world, lots of stuff.

Edit: Finding an original copy of Evangelion stuff is also proving difficult, which is also a principle that doesn't work. Officially we recognise and adhere to the United Nations law that children are entitled to ie. slaughter pigs with their tribe. You can't undo this agreement, sorry.

The voice clip in this, 'weigh anchor' is actually myself as a nine year old girl playing a wargame character called Silverbeard (was reading Treasure Island at the time). It took about 3 years practicing Dr Claw with Mark (Moss from IT Crowd) and nearly blew my throat apart, but this is essentially how a kid can hold rank against an American drill sergeant for instance. Later in life my dad got M.Bison stressed, asking me to prove that I wasn't possessed by a Dungeons & Dragons type demon, so I slowed this down a lot and did an impression of Stephen Hawking at 40x40 duo-hemisphere adrenaline speed (1600 times time = human Megadrive FM synth). Well he basically chortled away at this, but it isn't that great the Northern hemisphere might collapse if we didn't pass these nearly impossible tasks. Sigh. Well a lot of the people involved would rather forget about it for being traumatic, but we did at one point have a boy in the class below us call bullshit we were real officers, and he literally told us to fuck off that we outranked his dad... so we had no choice but to have his dad brought into assembly handcuffed, while anti-IRA checkpoint guards checked them for grenades, with a fully loaded assault rifle inches from their head. Because, it wasn't just possible hostile players would infiltrate our school with armed child soliders, but this actually happened to some extent. Well, the dad in question had a sense of humour and thanked me for bringing his son more into the reality of things, while I also evened the score diplomatically and had the troopers aim their weapon at my classmates Mark and Leigh (mustache twat from Kung Fury), while confirming in legal syntax that these guns were really loaded, and they would definitely fire on command. Erm, even faculty were terrified of this, so we quickly established a codeword for fire and a verbal confirmation 'yes yes yes I'm really sure', while Kim (Nick Cage's daughter) got philosophical about this, saying it was too much power for one officer, so we then split this up, that an improvised council of three had to confirm the order to blow Mark's head all over the wall. It turns out shooting people is a lot harder than getting shot, which explains all the long distance weapons and massive attrition rate of both WWI and WWII. Vietnam was obviously a lot more personal and in-your-face, and thus the Vietnam veterans are the ones who trained us in morality and threat detection. Anyway - the public ask for insane things and get an insane methodology to accomplish it. Such is life. But here's a proper DVD shot of Lazytown anyway. Yay.

Edit: apparently Kim uploaded the LT album, which makes sense. She's a slight dark horse, and getting into a fight with her is basically a death sentence for absolutely anyone ever.

vlcsnap-141080.png

Second published album. Archive had problems uploading this at first but changed their mind later.

Tis Roman Bricks you know. There's like 8 major bricking styles and nobody in the empire agreed the correct way it was done, so they mashed it all up into one uber-chaos style via public brick layer overlords. And hey, the walls are still standing I think.

https://archive.org/details/badger2000

There's also a cover for this below, which Archive don't have.

badger_abstract.png

• 2 weeks later...

This track is way too hardcore, which is why it has to be so kawaii and encrypted for high-level meditators.

https://archive.org/details/Angelis

Typing Clacton Pier into Google Chrome has my browser hacked to fuck and back, but check out the following photo. Would you really want to get on this terrifying look death trap?! Well amazing secret, but the ride was actually a bit on the slow side and needed psychological horror to keep you awake.

However, the wood on this pier isn't like any of the other Victorian piers, and it may infact be the last ever pirate ship. Check out the joke, but there's no actual ship left and you merely 'walk the plank' and back. The whole thing's just, 'the plank', lol.

6de8f05b418986f9bcf707495969d93a.jpg

On 05/10/2020 at 17:53, dumpster said:

No I'd completely forgotten I'd made this.  How odd. Might do another now.

Yeah well I'm attempting to upload something along these lines to Archive, but the timings of their hesitations tell me it's the CIA and I've totally cornered them. Don't use Nathan Barley's 'well weapon' website kidz.

https://archive.org/details/heroic_nonsense

Well they've let it through, but this means they've gone back to Acme labs for something even more well weapon. Sigh.

This is infact a really big deal right. The American band Hanson are Neanderthal Monarchy right, so sure... let's discuss wether one homonid species should eliminate another one. That's totally legal and everything. Or according to the United Nations droid mainframe, no... it is not.

Of my own unit I'm Voldo, and a freaky CIA hybrid, so good luck Nathan. To other people I'm difficult to like, but they're entirely unlikable these days : - /

Anyway, they're scared of Zorro - I uploaded the old Geohot Iphone exploit blackra1n with a technical explanation this led to creation of the Apple App Store (company even admitted it eventually) and they let it pass, but later bottled it (got nervous).

Even more retarded, but Wikipedia says Zorro is a fictional character in a book? Dude, everyone in Colchester knows the history of this person and talks about it in the pub. They know an almost depressingly dull amount of information about the guy - I actually switched off, zzzzz.

Peace and fucking believe. Peace and fucking believe. Peace and fucking believe. Peace and fucking believe. Peace and fucking believe.

(Originally titled by Forumite Charlie Brooker as, 'cunt')

The idiots are winning...

They've also changed all the microtimings of the following video to something entirely different, destroying the concept of archived history. Big mistake buddy... big fucking mistake... you know how many MI6 agents got blown up with cemtex? Any idea at all. Wow, speechless.

https://archive.org/details/daft-punk-technologic-ned-flanders-edit

Apologies for excessive Voldo type posts, but various introverts with communication problems keep using me as Janine from Ghostbusters. Anyhow, this track is quite interesting for being a segment of Beast Ting slowed down by around 1 million. Ordinarily you don't do musical signal encoding such as THX or Dolby manually, but 1600 adrenal speed plus linguistic word skill = 1600 x 1600 and then you tweak the patterns by essentially listening to it millions of times in a row; 60mhz ARM x 4 = 240 million listenings. Of course the resulting tune is highly repetitive and has elements of what sounds like cognitive retardation because I've hit a neural limit of some kind. Still sounds fairly good though.

Point worth mentioning, but clearly all the Youtube comments for this sort of thing are just automated bots talking shit. This isn't really publishable pop music I don't think, but hey. It is if anything, when you analyse what's going on with it... somewhere between Happy Hardcore and Nirvana type grunge, so for the sake of comparison...

Also, apologies for the soapbox Charlie Brooker typing style, but Ghostbusters receptionist is a really rough position (up to 420 assasination attempts an hour, obviously pays more if they intentionally fail and lie to their boss about being lame).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up, BBC Symphony Orchestra Plug-in is free if you can be arsed to fill in a (not long) survey and wait 14 days. Just amazing high quality sounds that will always be useful.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/

Also the top tier in the Humble Music Producer Bundle seems pretty nice from what I've played with it, especially for Guitars.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/music-producer-2-software

Does anyone know of a simple sampler plug-in that allows a live capture from a mic or whatever? I've been trying for ages to find one but keep going around in circles. I've got the EXS24 in Logic but it seems a hassle making files and converting, much more complex than what I'm looking for. Closest I've found is an app of the old Casio SK1 8 bit sampling keyboard but it requires Big Sur on mac (I'm still using High Sierra) which I'm pretty sure would destroy my install of the ancient Logic 10.4

Been (slowly) moving all my tracks to the new PC which has meant loads of remastering but also meant i could make a start on the tons of stuff of written...mostly analog stuff or electro/techno. Like this...

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2021 at 10:58, Rumspringa said:

Does anyone know of a simple sampler plug-in that allows a live capture from a mic or whatever? I've been trying for ages to find one but keep going around in circles. I've got the EXS24 in Logic but it seems a hassle making files and converting, much more complex than what I'm looking for. Closest I've found is an app of the old Casio SK1 8 bit sampling keyboard but it requires Big Sur on mac (I'm still using High Sierra) which I'm pretty sure would destroy my install of the ancient Logic 10.4

You could try something like Redux

22 minutes ago, dumpster said:

My friend Jim has just made an album and got it onto Spotify.

FB_IMG_1613145401995.jpg

Sounds like a livelier Brian Adams. Not my thing at all but clearly very well done. 

• 2 weeks later...