IGNORED

Audio Club

Rowan Morrison

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone use Cakewalk?  I've been having a really frustrating problem with it over the last week or so.  I had a track made up of a load of guitar parts and stuff, and I wanted to record a melody over the top using my midi keyboard.  I recorded it, but as I was playing sometimes the sound, and more importantly the pitch, would randomly change.  My initial thought was that I was accidentally activating the pitch and effect wheels.  This is an Arturia Minilab, so they're these weird touch sensitive virtual sliders rather than a physical wheel.  Anyway, I managed to get a take where this didn't happen, but when I played it back, the pitch and sound would change again, during the playback.  I closed Cakewalk and reopened it, installing an update at the same time, and when I reopened it, it sounded correct again.  I played it back a few times to make sure, and it sounded right.  A few days later, I came back to the track and exported a copy onto my PC, but when I listened to the exported MP3, the fucked up pitch was back.  Bear in mind that the midi controller wasn't even plugged in when I exported the track, so it had wonked the pitch without any input from the controller.  

I'm not really asking for technical support or anything here, just venting really.  I'll ask on the Cackwalk forums for that.  Googling suggests other people have had similar problems, but the people on the forums insist that it isn't Cakewalk that's the problem, refusing to countenance the idea even when every other possibility has been eliminated.  This is something that happens on support forums that are manned by users.  That whole thing kicks in where people feel they have to defend their chosen piece of consumer software.  It's really unhelpful.  I haven't seen any solutions to my problem or even workarounds on there.  

I'm not very technically-minded, but I guess it's some sort of conflict between the midi controller, it's software, Cakewalk, and possibly Windows.  This isn't ideal because those are the things I use to make music.  :hmm:

Well, the Cakewalk forum is now locked, presumably because it's open source now, so I guess I won't be asking on there.  I suppose I either work it out myself or give up.  Bah.

18 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Does anyone use Cakewalk?  I've been having a really frustrating problem with it over the last week or so.  I had a track made up of a load of guitar parts and stuff, and I wanted to record a melody over the top using my midi keyboard.  I recorded it, but as I was playing sometimes the sound, and more importantly the pitch, would randomly change.  My initial thought was that I was accidentally activating the pitch and effect wheels.  This is an Arturia Minilab, so they're these weird touch sensitive virtual sliders rather than a physical wheel.  Anyway, I managed to get a take where this didn't happen, but when I played it back, the pitch and sound would change again, during the playback.  I closed Cakewalk and reopened it, installing an update at the same time, and when I reopened it, it sounded correct again.  I played it back a few times to make sure, and it sounded right.  A few days later, I came back to the track and exported a copy onto my PC, but when I listened to the exported MP3, the fucked up pitch was back.  Bear in mind that the midi controller wasn't even plugged in when I exported the track, so it had wonked the pitch without any input from the controller.  

I'm not really asking for technical support or anything here, just venting really.  I'll ask on the Cackwalk forums for that.  Googling suggests other people have had similar problems, but the people on the forums insist that it isn't Cakewalk that's the problem, refusing to countenance the idea even when every other possibility has been eliminated.  This is something that happens on support forums that are manned by users.  That whole thing kicks in where people feel they have to defend their chosen piece of consumer software.  It's really unhelpful.  I haven't seen any solutions to my problem or even workarounds on there.  

I'm not very technically-minded, but I guess it's some sort of conflict between the midi controller, it's software, Cakewalk, and possibly Windows.  This isn't ideal because those are the things I use to make music.  :hmm:

Well, the Cakewalk forum is now locked, presumably because it's open source now, so I guess I won't be asking on there.  I suppose I either work it out myself or give up.  Bah.

Doesn't solve your problem, but switch over to Reaper in future.

3 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Doesn't solve your problem, but switch over to Reaper in future.

I plan to try it, if only the free trial to check if the pitch issue persists.  To be honest though, up until now Cakewalk has been perfectly fine for my needs and is of course completely free and full-featured. I don't do anything massively complicated in the daw itself as the music I make is largely analogue. I can build drum loops, and record guitar, bass, and midi parts. If I play a wrong note on the keyboard, or hit a key too soft or hard, I can adjust that.  If I want to apply an effect to something I can do that as well. There's an irritating bug where the metronome sometimes drops out when you click record, but I can work round that - once it starts it doesn't drop out.  

I "fixed" the issue in that track by disabling the midi controller's wheel inputs from the recording I had. Or I clicked on the word "wheel" next to the piano roll and it went away, depending on whether you want me to pretend to understand what I did or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi rlmuk, this is my first post in a music thread. I started to learn how to play guitar during the lockdown, I've always had the desire to make a song from start to finish but didn't have a clue how to go about it. I record everything into my iphone and use garage band to put it all together.

This song is a bit of a motorhead Ace of Spades inspired thing. The sort of thing to shout along to when you're out drinking.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone here has liked any of my music in the past. But here's my new collection of songs anyway - https://chickenicarus.bandcamp.com/album/pure-and-ceaseless-joy

For this one I was not concerned with whether anyone would want to listen to it, or how embarrassing it would sound, and I just did what I felt like. So I'd recommend headphones. Lots of synthesisers and misery.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/05/2022 at 10:34, andygt said:

Works perfectly with their newly released mixer for ants that is a mere £1200

Yeah I genuinely had to check the price tag thinking it was a mistake. It looks neat but the price tag is insane. I understand boutique item blah blah, but I think they're taking the piss.

I have been obsessed by I Feel Love by Giorgio Moroder since I was a kid. The past few years I’ve wanted to do a remix, but slowly taught myself better production on Logic and balance (I’m getting there slowly). 

Anyway here’s my tribute (titled in honour of my girlfriend). Tried to stay true to the original. Ran out of steam at the end. Soz.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ZnmxGE3EyigYqwsq9

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2022 at 09:23, PK said:

Made a Sticky-inspired UKG tune based on a voice message a mate sent me on WhatsApp

This is great!

• 2 weeks later...